Buying a lab puppy

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What roughly would I be looking at cost wise?
We lost ours aged 13 in January and he was £300 back then!
My partner used to do a lot of shooting when he was younger and stopped when we had our daughter now 14 due to time and money but he's decided to get a new gun etc and start again.
He works on farms so will have plenty of places to shoot and stacks of outdoor space.
I know he really misses our old boy and although I have two little dogs which he's fond of they're not the same so I thought I may get him a new black lab puppy.
I know he wants one, I'd never buy anyone a animal otherwise. We just haven't got one because I've said no.
I've contacted our old dogs breeder but wondered if anyone had an idea on price in the meantime?

Morag4

Visit site
I would say it depends on what you want, obviously check the specific health scores for the breed and look at appropriate healthy parents. Off the top of my head for a pup from good working parents a minimum of £600, partly trained slightly older pup add a few hundred.

Clodagh

Visit site
Decent breeding, about £600. More, not less! The reason ours was cheap (£600) was it was a first litter from a bitch who was only a FTW, sire was FTCh. FTch x FTch = Loadsamoney.

PorkChop

Visit site
I would agree that you will be looking at £600-£800 for a working health tested lab puppy.

If you are on facebook go on the Gundogs for Sale page, it will give you a good idea of what's about at the moment.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ouch! ok well that's fine- a lot of money but he does a huge amount for me horse wise (even though he's not horsey!).
I'm not after a trained one just a puppy who will also be a family pet. I definitely want to stick with the same breeder as our old dog as he was just the best temperament, loyalty everything I couldn't find fault with him if i tried and the bitches they have are still the same lines.
They got back too me and said they will have a litter hopefully from a bitch ive met before due to leave end of summer which lets him get harvest done so perfect!
I see a gun dog training course locally where they all meet up and have an instructor, don't know if he'd be up for something like that but it's a possibility :) Thanks

Alec Swan

Visit site
Just check the breeder has hip scored and has good scores: so worth it.

Absolutely right. Of all dogs, the Labrador needs parents with clean health checks. You wont need FT X FT Champion bred puppies, for nothing, trust me. There are however some very well bred litters of puppies available which with care will make super dogs, and at the sort of money which you're considering.

Google; Planet Gundogs, Guns-On-Pegs, UK Gundogs, Gundog Breeders, that sort of thing. You will find some very smart puppies.

Alec.

Janah

Visit site
I sold my litter for 550pounds 6 years ago. Health checks done on both parents, hips,eyes & elbows. From working bitch x show dog. Litter brought up on decent food. All puppies went away with 2kg of food, collar & lead, toy and fleece bedding, used for smell.

Stud dog owners were local and bred, judged and showed. They couldn't have been more helpful from mating to birth and after.

Didn't really make any money, not that i intended to.

As others have said make sure health tests on both parents are good. I insisted on telephone interview before potential buyers were allowed a visit and had to meet bitch before even viewing pups.

Weeded out several purchasers when bitch left hair on them and they didn't like it! Doh! Also a potential buyer from Cornwall saying I can get one from round here for 250 pounds, I said make sure has had health checks. Told he only wanted a pet so didn't need them!!!

All my puppies went to good homes and lots of pics and updates were sent to me.

Lots of homework and don't fall for the first cuties you see.

lurcherlu

Visit site
Find out as much as you can about parents and grandparents , health checked, view puppy a few times , view both parents and when u get one enjoy him or her :) or get him a springer I'm a new member of the springer addicts club ;)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Find out as much as you can about parents and grandparents , health checked, view puppy a few times , view both parents and when u get one enjoy him or her :) or get him a springer I'm a new member of the springer addicts club ;)

My dad is actually talking about breeding from his springer at some point so it is one id considered especially as my partners old dog was also a springer, however i think we are confirmed Lab lovers!
I know the breeding lines of the breeder i will buy from also which as you point out is good. If he's half the dog our old one off them was we will be happy!

Cedars

Visit site
We paid £600 for both our boys.

Just whatever you do, check hip scores, elbow scores, eyes etc etc. My boys go back 9 generations and that's still not enough to quieten the scarring I was left with when my first girl had such severe dysplasia from shocking breeding. There are lots of good websites online to help you with questions to ask etc x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Im not up to scratch on this hip scoring thing!
My old lab had no problems with his hips, elbows or sight but I'm pretty certain we didn't ask about hip scores either.
Is it something thats not obvious in the pup til they get older? I will research all this!
Thanks for everyones input, great help.

Clodagh

Visit site
You can't tell until they are full grown, or getting there. You need to check the parents have been hip and eye scored, and elbows as well.