Buying a New Horse, Suggestions Help Please!

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Up until about a year ago, I had 3 ponies that I've had for the last 18 - 19 years. Just before the first lockdown happened I had my old pony put down at the age of 27, after that I stupidly thought I'd get a break from seeing my vet so often! Obviously, that thought cursed me because then my other geriatric pony got ill, shes been going Ok for the last year but realistically now I think we've only got a few weeks left with her and I want to put her down before anything terrible happens or she has complications so that she can go happily stuffing her face with grass, with a vet I trust doing it rather than ending up in pain if I wait too long and something happens and it ends up an emergency with whichever vet happens to be on call.

So now for the first time in nearly 20 years, I'm pony shopping again and after years of wishful thinking window shopping, now It's a reality I'm suddenly terrified of getting it wrong. Helpfully my partner has suggested that if we're getting one we may as well get 2 so when my other slightly younger pony goes the new one already has a friend.
My idea at the moment is to get one I can ride now and one youngster to back and bring on. For the youngster I've been looking at breeders and hopefully will get one straight from the breeder. Its the rideable one that's worrying me!

I'd like a native of some kind or something else that is hardy and needs restricted grazing so it fits in with my current set up, something fairly level headed, intelligent and confident preferably under 12ish because emotionally I don't think I'm ready to face the old age years again yet. But I'm so worried I'm going to end up with a walking vets bill or something that turns out to be unsuitable in some way, I've been so lucky with my lot that until now in their final years they've never really needed the vet for anything other than rountine yearly stuff.

I should be easily capable of finding a horse, I've ridden nearly all my life, I've worked as a groom on racing, hunting and PTP yards, I know I can spot what I like and don't like in a horse but I keep doubting myself, Its like my confidence has vanished overnight. I've found a temporary friend for my last remaining original one so theres no rush and practically I can't get one for another couple of months yet anyway. In the past I was never actually looking to get a pony when I bought any of mine, I just happened to see them or their advert and just knew as soon as I saw them that they were coming home with me. Since I've actually been looking there's been nothing that stood out that I thought I really wanted. Where should I be looking? Does anyone know any good dealers in the north west that would have a selection of hairy ponies?

hobo

Visit site
Can not help you but totally understand your story. I looked for a 8-10 year simple horse to start the replacement of my much loved mare that I have had for 17 years. I came home with a green 5 year old and ran in to a couple of problems due to my nerves and getting used to change. I have enlisted good quality help and we are getting there and further down the line he will do as good a job as my mare at being just what I need.
If you were south the lady who is working with me and mine brings on a few lovely hairy or slightly hairy ponies that have a great start and she carefully matches them to the right person. Mind you if you have not bought for a while what ever you think your budget is probably double it!
Good luck.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Thank you! Yeah the budget part is daunting, my 3 cost £250, £100 and £50. Admittedly 2 were feral and one was kind of broken but needed starting again. The cheapest one went from wild to most amazing pony laid back, brave pony you could find. I've never managed to buy what I was actually looking for but luckily they all turned out brilliantly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Cobs'n'plods is a good honest reputable dealer of hairy horses in the northwest, I know them.