Buying a New Horse

Looking

New User
Visit site
I've been looking for a horse for a few months now but not having much success, mainly because I have quite a low budget (£2500) and I want something with potential to event.

I have been recommended by quite a few people to get an ex-racehorse and I have looked at a few. I have owned horses before, including difficult ones, but I've had a few years out and I don't have experience specifically with TBs so not sure I have the skills to retrain a racehorse. I did see one I quite liked yesterday but she is only a 3 yr old and quite sharp and it would take a lot of retraining to get her to the point of competing, however she has beautiful movement and the potential to be a great jumper (very straight and nice technique although she has only jumped once or twice since being off the track), really think she would make an excellent eventer with the right training, just not sure if I have the experience to do it myself.

I also recently saw a warmblood who I liked the look of, 5 yr old mare but dodgy background and wasn't sure about the truthfulness of the owners, she also had a sarcoid and a few other issues but a great jump and nice paces, quite laid back as well. I don't think she has the potential to be a great eventer due to her type but her jump and nice temperament would make her a much easier horse to ease me back into horse ownership and I wouldn't have to worry about completely retraining as she has the basics.

Just wondering really if anyone could offer any advice on the issue?

Shavings

Visit site
I own an ex racer he is 4 year and was not what i was looking for, he was retired from racing for not having "fire" to race, and he really is a pleasure to be round.
it maybe worth ringing direct to racing yards as many race horses who are young and just "to quiet" for racing are sold straight from the yard on to new homes or sold as brood mares

Granted we are still working on balance with my boy i really cant fault him for any thing, he is brave out on hacks and was quiet as a lamb at are recent show outing in hand.

not all ex racers are nutty, don't get me wrong here i have seen a few who i wouldn't have even taken on if i was given them free! but like my Levi has proved there is differently some hidden gems amount them

Mrs G

Visit site
Definately consider ex racers - there are some cracking, athletic, well bred, scopy horses out there well within your budget and even a slow racehorse is quick! I was a novice owner and rider and a 4yr old ex racehorse shouldnt have fitted my bill but he has in spades. If someone like me (with help and advice from others) can retrain/reschool one Im sure you can too! Good luck in your search x

Rockman

Visit site
Love my ex racer, it's been tough in parts but now with the help of a fantastic instructor I couldn't ask for anymore! Just wish he was on the younger side! Wouldn't hesitate to get another one!

Looking

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! People do seem to love their ex-racers but I'm worried I might get one and find it too much of a handful. How long has it taken people to reschool their ex-racers? What do you do with them now? Part of me is worried that it will take me so long to reschool and I want to get going and compete!

Any thoughts on the warmblood mare?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! People do seem to love their ex-racers but I'm worried I might get one and find it too much of a handful. How long has it taken people to reschool their ex-racers? What do you do with them now? Part of me is worried that it will take me so long to reschool and I want to get going and compete!

Any thoughts on the warmblood mare?

Have you considered approaching on e of the charities which rehome ex-racehorses? They will know their horses well enough to match one to your requirements and will have at least started the re-schooling process.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If you want to get on and compete, then a 3yo, off the track tb isn't right for you.

RE the warmblood, if you are really taken with her, then go back for a second viewing and get her vetted (not with the seller's vet though ;)). Some people are happy to take a risk on a horse with a sarcoid - if the price is right and it isn't in an area that will be rubbed by tack - and you need to decide if you are one of them or not. Also if she would be a fun, confidence giving return to horse ownership, that you can have fun on at low level comps, that's far better than a more talented horse that scares the bejeezus out of you.

exracehorse

Visit site
As i said, id never have another ex racer. My friend bought a cracking TB for 1,000 pounds. He was out eventing within months. But he had been nicely broken, correctly raised. The problem with a lot of ex racer's (I work with horses and fellow colleagues have them) is that many have mechanical issues. My colleagues ex racers have leg and back issues. Crap feet. My one has arthritis in rear hocks. He also has chronic ulcers which is another trait. My friend evie has spent a fortune on gastro guard following shock treatment on back and legs. Breeding makes a big difference. My lads grandparents are nashwan and saddletd wells who were very fast race horses. Its not surprising that he is very sharp and forward going. It took months to get him to stand by the mounting block etc. Yes, ex racer can be rewarding and can and do compete to a high level but I've had my fingers burnt. He scares me at times, especially this time of the year as he is such a handful and I'm not a novice rider. With your budget I would either buy a bold youngster that hasn't been messed around with that you can bring on or an older type, a school master who you can throw into the lorry and go out and have immediate fun on. I've just bought a 15 yr old mare who is lovely. Forward going but without the sharp unpredictability of my ex racer.

exracehorse

Visit site
If you want to get on and compete, then a 3yo, off the track tb isn't right for you.

RE the warmblood, if you are really taken with her, then go back for a second viewing and get her vetted (not with the seller's vet though ;)). Some people are happy to take a risk on a horse with a sarcoid - if the price is right and it isn't in an area that will be rubbed by tack - and you need to decide if you are one of them or not. Also if she would be a fun, confidence giving return to horse ownership, that you can have fun on at low level comps, that's far better than a more talented horse that scares the bejeezus out of you.
absolute agree.

Looking

New User
Visit site
As i said, id never have another ex racer. My friend bought a cracking TB for 1,000 pounds. He was out eventing within months. But he had been nicely broken, correctly raised. The problem with a lot of ex racer's (I work with horses and fellow colleagues have them) is that many have mechanical issues. My colleagues ex racers have leg and back issues. Crap feet. My one has arthritis in rear hocks. He also has chronic ulcers which is another trait. My friend evie has spent a fortune on gastro guard following shock treatment on back and legs. Breeding makes a big difference. My lads grandparents are nashwan and saddletd wells who were very fast race horses. Its not surprising that he is very sharp and forward going. It took months to get him to stand by the mounting block etc. Yes, ex racer can be rewarding and can and do compete to a high level but I've had my fingers burnt. He scares me at times, especially this time of the year as he is such a handful and I'm not a novice rider. With your budget I would either buy a bold youngster that hasn't been messed around with that you can bring on or an older type, a school master who you can throw into the lorry and go out and have immediate fun on. I've just bought a 15 yr old mare who is lovely. Forward going but without the sharp unpredictability of my ex racer.

Thanks for your honest response, I have been warned they are more likely to have physical issues but the one I was looking at today only raced a few times and is quite young so I hoped she would have better odds. I've been struggling to find youngsters in my price range, I would prefer a younger horse if I could find one. This is why I was considering risking one with a sarcoid, but lots of people have warned me off that as well! Can't win it seems haha

Melody Grey

Visit site
Hi there, just wanted to add that my experience of ex racers is generally good. I have a lovely 6yo mare at present and have evented ex racers previously to a moderate level. Personally I wouldn't rule one out, they can be a great investment. Look for a kind eye and a trainable attitude!!

It would be a lie to say that I haven't encountered a few problems with Melody along the way (had her since Easter), but no more than any other horse you could buy in that price bracket. Why not consider an ex- racer that has been off the track a while and had some decent re schooling (or at least made a start!)- mine was £1400 and had done a little since coming out of racing.

I'm not sure of your location, but there is a charity called Cheveral House Racehorse Rehoming in Notts who re-home a lot- mine is not from there, but might be worth a look? Good luck!

Clarebear*

Visit site
Hmm I would say from your post you are not too sure of either. But it sounds like you prefer the ex racer. I got my new ex racer in august and he is just fantastic can be sharp but a heart of gold and so sweet always gives 110% my plan with him is too event but it is going to take time to let him grow up and mature physically. The main thing with ex racers is time, so if you are willing to give her time and learn together through lessons etc then go for it! And you would also potentially be able to compete in the 4, 5 year old classes aswell as being eligible for ex racehorse classes.

Or if you want to get out eventing next season then I would say you should look for something older that you can learn from, but theres no guarentee that an older horse will be straightforward either. good luck im sure you will make the right choice for you.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
If you like the TB, she has potential and you have good support than go for it.
Find a good instructor the will help with ground work as well as ridden work and a good yard to help with the management.
As an ex racer she could do with a good few months cooling of, turning her away for the winter would be ideal plus only being three give her time to mature.
While waiting have some good intensive training on a school master.
good luck

Madam Min

Visit site
My OH +I looked for an ex racer when looking for our last horse as he has the experience to cope with any quirkiness however couldn't find many tall enough for my OH, we had a beautiful ex flat racer mare vetted but she failed spectacularly! We ended up buying a ISH who is 3/4 TB the rest ID. She's the image of TB, total racing snake at 17.1hh!!!

stormox

Visit site
Because TBs have been bred for speed, and speed alone, and their careers are short (usually retired to stud at 3/4)no thought is given to soundness or conformation when breeding. So this is a BIG problem. If you want a TB you are better off looking at the big, old-fashioned National Hunt types.
But my advice would be to go for an ID/TB cross, and there are plenty of lovely ones here in Ireland. Maybe come over to the sales or get in touch with one of the responsible UK dealers who imports and ask them to source one for you.

Luci07

Visit site
Echo about talking to a racehorse charity (final furling, Moorhouse, Darley) or try Irish exports for a green straight from Ireland youngster. They are in Pangbourne. Yard is not flashy, they get lorry loads in and have a quick turnover. Worth a call to see what they have. They ARE very straight talking so don't be offended. It will literally be a walk around with, "that is cheaper as not good enough down the road" etc etc but we have bought some truly cracking horses from there. They will have assessed the horses quite thoroughly as well.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If your after a little one Thunderbob looks very sweet and bigger the mare Princess could be a nice type or the sports horse gelding. If you rehome from here then you have £2500 to spend on training xc schooling etc so you'd really get going with that many lessons.

They might be a bit of a way from you but worth the trip if there are 2/3 that might fit the bill - they rehome nation wide and will be well placed to judge if the horse will do what you'd like in the long run.

I took on an ex racer this summer and I think realistically it will take 2 years to get him competition ready - but I'm not rushing

Looking

New User
Visit site
I need over 16hh as I'm quite tall! I'll look into the place in pangbourne, thanks for the advice, I would be happy with an ISH but they're mostly out of my price range. A TB x would be ideal as well if I could find one! I'll look into the charities too. All good advice, thanks everyone for your help! Now I just need to win the lottery and I'll be sorted!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I need over 16hh as I'm quite tall! I'll look into the place in pangbourne, thanks for the advice, I would be happy with an ISH but they're mostly out of my price range. A TB x would be ideal as well if I could find one! I'll look into the charities too. All good advice, thanks everyone for your help! Now I just need to win the lottery and I'll be sorted!

The 4 Y.0 16.2 gelding might work - Orpheus - and they often have ones that haven't made it to the internet yet so worth a call.