Buying a second hand trailer advice please

Sponymum

Visit site
Hi,

I’m just looking for some advice for buying a second hand trailer? Anything specific to look out for when buying? Any must asks? Anything to avoid? We’ve never brought a trailer before so completely in the dark!

I’ve seen so many horror stories and it seems so many are stolen it’s quite a scary task knowing what’s the right one to buy! Our budget sadly only stretches to buy second hand so I apperciate any help I can get :)

Thanks

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If yourl ooking to buy an ifor then ring iforcwith the chassis number and they will tell you if it has been stolen or not. Again if an ifor check fir bubbling on the side panels and ramp. Usually a sign of rot. The panels can be replaced but obviously its extra cost. Check the floor. If your worried perhaps go to a main dealer as their trailers will all have been checked.

Sponymum

Visit site
If yourl ooking to buy an ifor then ring iforcwith the chassis number and they will tell you if it has been stolen or not. Again if an ifor check fir bubbling on the side panels and ramp. Usually a sign of rot. The panels can be replaced but obviously its extra cost. Check the floor. If your worried perhaps go to a main dealer as their trailers will all have been checked.

Super helpful! I forgot to say we are looking for an I for! Making notes! Thank you!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi,

I’m just looking for some advice for buying a second hand trailer? Anything specific to look out for when buying? Any must asks? Anything to avoid? We’ve never brought a trailer before so completely in the dark!

I’ve seen so many horror stories and it seems so many are stolen it’s quite a scary task knowing what’s the right one to buy! Our budget sadly only stretches to buy second hand so I apperciate any help I can get :)

Thanks
Best tip I was given is use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374207469079?hash=item572080d617:g:UkcAAOSwWI1d1SKx round the edge of the floor to test for soft patches also take mechanic with you or after for a pre purchase check.
check under rubber mats where horses bums are for damp patches and corroded brakes

angel7

Visit site
Use a dealer if you are worried or not sure about repairs, you can take it back.
Last 2 Ive bought privately looked great but both required new gas struts, bulbs, front tow hitch piston ££££ and complete resealing of all the joins to stop water leaks. Check the tyres are correct high pressure trailer tyres not normal car tyres, if you try to put 60 PSI in them to carry 2 big horses they will go bang.
Dont worry about small dents or cracked mudguards but check for water coming in the panels and roof seams. Ifor dealers have long waits for parts and expensive to fix anything, find a good independant mechanic if needed.

Northern Hare

Visit site
If you're looking at Ifor Williams trailers, I'd suggest you go for one with an aluminium floor under the rubber. The older ones have a wooden floor which can decay.

Also, it's really important to check the tyres very, very carefully for any signs of perishing which is quite common in older tyres. I paid about £220 for a new set of tyres on my 505 before I sold it because it hadn't been used much for the previous couple of years and the tyres had begun to perish.

Also as per comments above, check each panel for any "blown" / swollen areas which would indicate damp. My trailer was the silver colour and I spoke to a local dealer about damp in one of the panels, and he said that at the time that the silver was apparently more prone to damp for some reason. If you look at each panel in strong light from the side angle you can see swollen areas more easily.

That aside, they're fantastic trailers. Whether you go for new or used, make sure you budget for a decent standard of hitchlock and a wheel lock to make sure someone doesn't come along and pinch your trailer!

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
There are plenty for sale on eBay and the like, prices seem still quite high.
Check the year of manufacture on the plate, some are older than you think.
Mine is just in for a service, few bits to do but It owes me nothing

Annagain

Visit site
I'd get a recommended trailer mechanic to check it over for you if you don't know what you're looking for. If you say where you are (or where a trailer you're interested in is) I'm sure you'll have people on here who recommend someone. I know someone in the Midlands (near Warwick) and someone in S. Wales I'd recommend.

What sort of age are you looking at? The newest 511/506s (until about 2012) had teething problems so I'd avoid those - if your budget won't stretch to a newer one, you'd be better off getting a late 510/505 than an early 511/506. From 2012 onwards they're much better. You can check the age of a trailer by the serial number. The year of manufacture is part of it - it's somewhere in the middle and I can't remember exactly where but it'll be pretty obvious.

If you don't get a mechanic to look, as others have said, check the floor and check the side panels for softening or bubbling - this is usually at the bottom on the right hand side as urine soaks in if the horse wees on the trailer (and the right hand side will be used more if a horse travels alone) but it can be all over the panels. Put the ramps up and down to check they move well and don't feel heavier than you think they should be - this can be a sign that the gas struts need replacing. On 511/506s in particular check the hinges on both ramps aren't corroding - the front ramps in particular can have this issue.