Buying a share in a Racehorse - Good idea?

indie1282

Visit site
Has anybody done this or is there anyone in the racing industry on here that may have some feedback?

I have seen on Owners Group that there are currently shares in a couple of 3 year olds at Paul Nicholls yard and was thinking of buying a share for my dad for Christmas. He LOVES his racing and I think he would really like the gift. They do a yard visit and there is a chance to go to see the horse race.

It's only £55 per share - I have no expectations of winning any prize money whatsoever but thought that a yard visit would be cool as we are not too far from Somerset.

Scarlett

Visit site
Yup - we did it for a while and it was brilliant!

Added bonus was that one of the horses we were connected too eventually came to us to be reschooled and rehomed. We got to go to the races as his owners, then helped make sure he had a wonderful life after his career ended.
Situations changed and we had to stop but it was great while it lasted.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I thought about this as a Xmas gift for my mum, but could not immediately see one in North Yorkshire offering the same as we live near here.

I think as long as you know you are not an owner, but are paying to feel involved then it is fun, and she would enjoy the yard visit and following the horse on the internet.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I did it on three horses, and as your father is really into his racing I think he’ll love it, the feeling of being involved, the news, updates, visits etc. I stopped only because I took up real horse riding!

Visit site
I know the one you are talking about. I wouldn't buy into a 3yo for jumping. It won't run more than twice over winter if at all. The syndicate has older horses, my gran had a part share in one last year for Christmas. The horse was a 4yo already fit off of the ptp scene and ran twice all season. They are great at communicating through email but not so much snail mail.

I would ask and see if they have a share in an older horse you could buy into. It would actually run a few times then!

As to north Yorkshire - it depends on how much you are willing to spend buying into a syndicate. Email trainers near you and ask if they have any suitable in their yard.

We have a great one in our yard - The Day Valley Chasers. It's £400 buy in for the year. And that's all you pay. They try to have a winter horse and a summer horse and they try to keep them racing in Scotland so it's not as far for the majority of their members to travel to the races.

millikins

Visit site
Has anybody done this or is there anyone in the racing industry on here that may have some feedback?

I have seen on Owners Group that there are currently shares in a couple of 3 year olds at Paul Nicholls yard and was thinking of buying a share for my dad for Christmas. He LOVES his racing and I think he would really like the gift. They do a yard visit and there is a chance to go to see the horse race.

It's only £55 per share - I have no expectations of winning any prize money whatsoever but thought that a yard visit would be cool as we are not too far from Somerset.
I've seen this on FB and been tempted, as a present from me to me. I get what EKW is saying about a 3yr old not actually doing much but I think I'd enjoy watching how they progress anyway.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My Dad has a share in one of Paul Nicholl's horses - unfortunately he's not done well but we have all had so much fun from it! We've seen him run once (tried a few times more...) and just really enjoy commiserating about his poor form & lack of runs. Would really recommend.

Walnuts

Visit site
What a great idea for Christmas, does anyone have a link to a good place where I can buy a share for a jump horse please

Visit site
What a great idea for Christmas, does anyone have a link to a good place where I can buy a share for a jump horse please

It depends what area of the country you are in. Your best bet is to email local jumps trainers and ask what syndicates they have in their yard. Some cost next to nothing, some cost a fair bit. It depends what you want from it.

Walnuts

Visit site
It depends what area of the country you are in. Your best bet is to email local jumps trainers and ask what syndicates they have in their yard. Some cost next to nothing, some cost a fair bit. It depends what you want from it.
Just a little Christmas present for my son, bit of fun etc. Live close to Lingfield Junc 6 M25

Visit site
Flick through this website see if any are near you or take your fancy. Most of the big, cheap to be part of syndicates have horses in big yards like Nichols. But to be honest anyone that trains in the lower half of England will race horses near enough to you - Ascot, Kepton, Fontwell, Plumpton etc. Racehorses travel far and wide.

http://www.directoryoftheturf.com/s...tegory/Racehorse Trainers/searchcounty/Surrey

Walnuts

Visit site
My Dad has a share in one of Paul Nicholl's horses - unfortunately he's not done well but we have all had so much fun from it! We've seen him run once (tried a few times more...) and just really enjoy commiserating about his poor form & lack of runs. Would really recommend.

I don't suppose you could tell me who I contact re this it sounds fun

forumuser123

Visit site
I have a share in a horse with Paul Nicholls through The Owners Group.
Regular video updates via email and monthly magazine through post. Chance for yard visits and owners passes when he runs.
Would highly recommend for the money.

indie1282

Visit site
I've seen this on FB and been tempted, as a present from me to me. I get what EKW is saying about a 3yr old not actually doing much but I think I'd enjoy watching how they progress anyway.

I get that a 3yr old wont do a lot and I have messaged asking if they have any f
4yr olds coming up before Christmas. Tbh I dont think he would be that bothered if they didn't run but I know he would love to visit Paul's yard!

Visit site
Ok looking at the 3yos - Sabrina - by Yeats (I love a Yeats!) To me looks to immature to run any time soon. Though they do say they will aim for mares bumpers in the turn of the year. That's kind of realistic but she looks a big sort and I personally wouldn't run her til the end of her 4yo year, not the start. Plus Yeats offspring are notoriously bad in the wind.

Force Ten - they know it's backwards and immature so already know they will be lucky to get one run into him in the spring - march/April time. Then it will be put away for its holidays.

Neither, to me, seem worth their money this year.

I would hold off and see if they buy any horses in the October sales. They have in the past which will be older and more likely to run before Christmas and run more than a couple of times.

caroline111

New User
Visit site

I have shares in 2 horses with Paul Nicholls and have been very impressed. I have been down to Somerset to Paul's yard and have seen the two horses that currently have shares going. Force Ten is very impressive, so much so that my sister has bought a share in him. Sabrina being a mare is smaller but very nice. She probably won't be doing the big fences which is something to bear in mind if you are thinking of buying shares. Force Ten won't run till next Spring and that will depend on ground conditions. I have a share in Blackjack Kentucky who hopefully will run soon but we desperately need rain. He would have run last Autumn but the ground conditions were not suitable. If you are looking to buy a share in a National Hunt horse please bear in mind they will not be running every week like flat racers.
Good luck