Buying a sports horse in Germany/ holland ...

blitznbobs

Visit site
Has anyone done this and how did you go about getting the right contacts. Did you get someone to set the trip for you or did you arrange it all yourself? If so how?

I've been looking for a young dressage horse for nearly a year now and there is a lot of over priced mediocre stuff in the uk but I'd rather pay that money abroad and get something a bit more special.

Does anyone have any experience of this. I'd be looking at taking a trip just after Christmas... Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Blitz

TarrSteps

Visit site
Another HHOer has just done this successfully (in fact there are a few people on here who have bought outside of the UK). Have a look for the post on shoeing a horse that's just come from Germany and perhaps contact the OP for some ideas.

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I've done it.. twice.. The first time was going through an agent, where they took us around and showed us lots and lots of horses. I rode 26 horses over the weekend. The second time was where we went and stayed with horsey friends in Holland and they took us to various friends of theirs where we eventually bought a young dressage horse. They also set me up with the opportunity to have lessons from riders that they sponsored, so it was a great trip.

Bedlam

Visit site
When you say there is a lot of overpriced mediocre stuff in the UK have you tried asking some of the larger breeders directly, or ventured onto breeders forums/pages to have a look? I only ask because we have a LOT of superbly bred young horses in this country that are a fraction of what they are going for abroad. If they are selling them abroad it's quite possible that they don't want them! I'm talking top level stuff here of course, but have you tried Lynn Crowden at Woodlander? As a passionate supporter of British Breeding I would absolutely plead with you to support British Breeders - we are struggling against the hordes of foreign imports that really are no better than our own but have cost less to produce because they do it in such large numbers. Have a look at some of the Elite foals presented this year to Futurity and try to tell me that we are breeding overpriced mediocrity - it's just not true - but whilst people truly believe that they will get a bargain by going abroad then we are fighting a losing battle and breeders just won't be able to afford to continue. Then everyone will have to go abroad unless they want a cheap as chips gypsy cob that has had no thought or care in its production.

You only have to look at the HUGE prices that the top stock in Europe go for at auctions such as Borculo to realise that the market is very different out there and that you will be looking at the stock that wasn't good enough to go for that sort of price rather than the equivalent top stock from UK.

I appreciate the benefit of trying numerous horses in one place - there are few places that can offer that here, but please do not write off British bred as mediocre. It's just not true....!

I'll get off my soapbox now and go and get some breeders onto this thread to shout for Britain too!

Mickyjoe

Visit site
You only have to look at the HUGE prices that the top stock in Europe go for at auctions such as Borculo to realise that the market is very different out there and that you will be looking at the stock that wasn't good enough to go for that sort of price rather than the equivalent top stock from UK.!

I wasn't looking for the next Totilas, but I think what you say above is true. There is also the often heard comment that they do not let their really good horses go out of the country, so if you think you have got a bargain be very, very careful.
It is difficult unless you have a very good, trusted contact over there.

DW Team

Visit site
I bought our latest horse from the sales in Holland and it was a very interesting and pleasurable experience everyone we came across was very helpful and we had full access to the yards and riders. Horses could be tried and seen before the sales. The whole thing was amazing for me and OH was wonderful he even did the bidding for me on the night. I have been in touch with his breeder Petra Musterd since and would happily return to her to buy more horses as and when we are ready. Her link is http://www.musterd-horses.nl/uk/

blitznbobs

Visit site
When you say there is a lot of overpriced mediocre stuff in the UK have you tried asking some of the larger breeders directly, or ventured onto breeders forums/pages to have a look? I only ask because we have a LOT of superbly bred young horses in this country that are a fraction of what they are going for abroad. If they are selling them abroad it's quite possible that they don't want them! I'm talking top level stuff here of course, but have you tried Lynn Crowden at Woodlander? As a passionate supporter of British Breeding I would absolutely plead with you to support British Breeders - we are struggling against the hordes of foreign imports that really are no better than our own but have cost less to produce because they do it in such large numbers. Have a look at some of the Elite foals presented this year to Futurity and try to tell me that we are breeding overpriced mediocrity - it's just not true - but whilst people truly believe that they will get a bargain by going abroad then we are fighting a losing battle and breeders just won't be able to afford to continue. Then everyone will have to go abroad unless they want a cheap as chips gypsy cob that has had no thought or care in its production.

You only have to look at the HUGE prices that the top stock in Europe go for at auctions such as Borculo to realise that the market is very different out there and that you will be looking at the stock that wasn't good enough to go for that sort of price rather than the equivalent top stock from UK.

I appreciate the benefit of trying numerous horses in one place - there are few places that can offer that here, but please do not write off British bred as mediocre. It's just not true....!

I'll get off my soapbox now and go and get some breeders onto this thread to shout for Britain too!

TBH I haven't been to any british breeders. - I have been to several 'studs' that only have imports and also perused many breeders' websites that only seem to be supplying foals and yearlings - neither of which I want.

I have only found 3 horses that I would have liked to own (I am fussy I admit) the first was simply going to be too big to fit in my trailer. the second was sold before I had time to sleep on it and the 3rd failed the vet. All of these horses were imports.

The mediocrity is in the imports - not the british bred. but if any breeders have any good quality dressage horses (3 or 4 year olds) (medium weight) at a reasonable price I would love to see them. please PM me.

Daytona

Visit site
I know people who have, unseen from videos. Delivered to your door with full X-rays and vetting for very good prices.

Starting at £5000

Lots of sellers if your Interested let me know and I can PM you some websites where you can view the horses.

All lovely talented horses.

Jade Holleman

Visit site
I live and work in The Netherlands so if you would like me to put you in contact with someone that can source horses for your budget let me know. The person I know is very good and has a vast amount of contacts.

christine48

Visit site
There are studs in this country breeding from quality mares with good blood lines, also using semen from continental stallions. Therefore technically you should be able to get something equally good here.
My observations when buying from the continant are;
ideally you need a good contact over there.
Some of the young sale horses are over produced for sale.
I would get a vet over here to check X rays, as what passes as OK over there, wouldn't always pass here.

Oscar

Visit site
Sorry but even in Europe a mediocre budget will only buy you a mediocre horse! That's why the ones you see for sale in the UK are mediocre (or are they?!). Buying a youngster is a gamble, you have to rely heavily on instinct, a good vet and the pedigree behind the horse.

A young horse even a 3yr old may have a very mediocre trot, it may be still growing or just physically weak, if it has a nice open relaxed walk, and a canter with an uphill tendency then I'd go for it. Trots are made, and the big flashy trot is not always there from he start and if it is, how much has that poor horse been drilled to get it?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Sorry but even in Europe a mediocre budget will only buy you a mediocre horse! That's why the ones you see for sale in the UK are mediocre (or are they?!). Buying a youngster is a gamble, you have to rely heavily on instinct, a good vet and the pedigree behind the horse.

A young horse even a 3yr old may have a very mediocre trot, it may be still growing or just physically weak, if it has a nice open relaxed walk, and a canter with an uphill tendency then I'd go for it. Trots are made, and the big flashy trot is not always there from he start and if it is, how much has that poor horse been drilled to get it?

What do you class a mediocre budget?

as for the 3 year old you mention - that is exactly what I'm looking for - with a good set of back legs and a forward uphill movement. I'd rather have paces a age 3 for a 6 or a 7 rather than a 9 as I don't want the horse to break before it's 7.

Last edited:

Jade Holleman

Visit site

In Holland you can buy a very nice 3 year old for between 8-10,000 euro if you know breeders. The dealers here are more expensive just like it would be in the UK. Just remember that if you look at imported horses in the UK you will be paying a lot more than what they where bought for in Europe. I am sure you will find nice horses in the UK too but there are a lot more established breeders over here.