buying a yard questions- help please x

muddywinter1

New User
Visit site
Hi im new to the forum and not really sure if im posting in the right place.

my current diy livery yard is awful, the horses have been stuck inside for four weeks now with no turnout (promised year round turnout) no end in sight, tack rooms leak, I could go on. anyway we all want to leave, but we want to stay together (eight horses and girls).

we are struggling to find a yard to rent.

I have seen a yard for sale with enough space. interested in buying it if I can sort out our finances.

my questions are....

can I rent out the spare stables? would be on a diy basis.
do I have to become a business?
does this mean I need planning permission to change use? (no new buildings needed)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Hi im new to the forum and not really sure if im posting in the right place.

my current diy livery yard is awful, the horses have been stuck inside for four weeks now with no turnout (promised year round turnout) no end in sight, tack rooms leak, I could go on. anyway we all want to leave, but we want to stay together (eight horses and girls).

we are struggling to find a yard to rent.

I have seen a yard for sale with enough space. interested in buying it if I can sort out our finances.

my questions are....

can I rent out the spare stables? would be on a diy basis.
do I have to become a business?
does this mean I need planning permission to change use? (no new buildings needed)

Rent out spare stables - depends on (I) the terms of your lease with the owner (II) whether there is PP for commercial livery use
If you are renting out stables you would be a business, you would need insurance and pay business rates. However the latter one may well be reduced or zero due to the size of the business.
Change of use would be needed if it only has PP for private use by the owner for their own horses (some PPs specify this esp more recent ones. Older PPs are less likely to but need to be checked). Or may be required if there isn't PP for horses at all, eg if only agricultural animals kept there before.

All this depends of course on how official you want to be- lots of places are under the radar. BUT......consider that it only takes one disgruntled livery (and who doesn't have one of them at some point) to shop you.....so best to be above board as you are thinking.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think there are ways of renting out one or two stables without becoming a business, like renting a room out. I'm not totally sure how it works. You would need insurance though.