Buying a yearling...

ahml100

Visit site
Here's a nice stallion approved for Trakehner, Hanoverian and Oldenburg studbooks. I suddenly want a purpose bred warmblood too if this is what they look like. ;):D

ce8e5852f0add965b114847c5e48c710.jpg

IS Orlow OX.

He is quite something! is he yours?

sollimum

Visit site
We bought a yearling in October 2017, he was a nice chap then and is still a nice chap. The only thing I would change is that I took their word for his eventual height - he is a cob and I did not see his parents. However, with an arab you will know his breeding and can check out the height of his bloodlines. We have one crabbet and one Egyptian and they are very different in build and temperament. Both jump!

HashRouge

Visit site
I tried the Arab gelding this afternoon and really liked him! Beautiful horse and sharp and buzzy, which is how I like my horses. The owner is looking for someone to ride a few times a week with a view to getting him going and then getting him sold...

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The seller doesn't seem to think he will be suitable for what I want (hacking and maybe some low level eventing), which strikes me as an odd thing to say about a well put together yearling. I know an Arab won't take me round Burghley, but surely they should all be capable of popping round an 80 if they're started properly? I think it does Arabs a disservice to say they wouldn't be suitable for this.

Here's an informed comment from youtube RE arabs and jumping which made me think of this thread. *rolls eyes*

arabs are not built for jumping, they are built for speed, slender legs and slighter body, the stress you put on a horse jumping would totally ruin your horse. Pretty much nobody jumps Arabians.

HashRouge

Visit site
She's lovely TP, she will make a great mare for someone. I'm still riding the Arab gelding I found on preloved, he's lovely and just my type (nice and buzzy).

HashRouge

Visit site
Well HHOers, I am rather besotted with this Arab gelding that I am riding! I'm not sure he's quite as tall as his owner said (15.2hh) which means he's technically somewhat smaller than I was after, but oh he's lovely. My sister is telling me to buy him (from what owner has said, I think she would sell). Help :oops:

HashRouge

Visit site
You lot are terrible! I am seriously considering it, although I am going to Brazil for a month in a few weeks time so it isn't the best timing for horse buying. My sister is actually coming down to meet him the week after next (okay, she's actually coming for the Hickstead Derby, but seems most excited about meeting him!) so I dare say she will be saying exactly the same! I just wish I had a bit longer before I went away, or wasn't going for quite so long.

Also, I got a measuring tape on him yesterday and he is actually over 15.2hh, possibly 15.3hh (he was spooking at the tape a bit so was hard to be precise!). I got someone to take picture of me on him too and he looks a really good height for me...

eggs

Visit site
When I was young many moons ago it was a well known 'fact' that arabs couldn't jump! Didn't stop our part bred arab getting to Peterborough for the Working Hunter Pony championships though.

Regarding the gelding - why not put an offer in on him, the owner can only say no and might just say . Just don't fall into the trap of riding him and getting him going only for the owner to decide not to sell.