Buying a young horse predicament!!

Visit site
Hi everyone thanks so much for having a read!!

my dilemma ->

due to unfortunate circumstances I had to retire my current eventer and am now stuck with the god-forsaken task of finding my next mount. due to my market and price being somewhat limited, I was on the market for a horse with the talent to burn, under 8, broken in, but I didn't mind how much experience it had under its belt as I am in no rush to be competing due to small-time constraints in 2021. Fast forward a month or so with no luck and I saw an ad for a stunning young warmblood. the movement to die for. temperament to die for, breeding to die for and potential to be a SERIOUS high-level competition mount down the track. the predicament... she has only just turned 3. Meaning no comps till she four (not to fussed about that) and very limited to no jumping for the next year. and along with that the potential that she may not be what she is right now? so what am I asking. i am wanting to know the good, bad, and ugly of your experiences with a horse as such. I will add she is broken in and the breaker loved her!! is it worth sticking it out and finding another horse or is it all worth it!!! (btw I'm kinda in love with her)

i have experience with OTTB and thoroughbreds, so hence why I am asking as I am new to the warmblood world !!! any advice is greatly appreciated.

TheMule

Visit site
Go have a sit on her and if you like her, buy her. I don’t think you'll be losing out on much compared to buying an older horse

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you like the horse buy it.
However I think you need to really really like them when you get them when very young it’s a slog to get back to the stage you where at .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you can only own one I would wait for a better fit which is already in work and proven it can take it.

I bought a newly backed GP bred WB 4 year old and he failed to stand up to the work he was bred for due to being born a wobbler. He would never jump with any confidence but it wasn't clear why until he went ataxic at 10. I bought another, again GP bred, again 4, who failed to compete at the dressage he was bred for due to kissing spines he was born with.

So I would also say x ray every leg joint and the neck and back before you set your hopes on a future dream.

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
personally I wouldn't go full warmblood for eventing, but that's my own view and it's just based on seeing a few friends get them young and then they turn out to never make the time xc or just not be as agile or safe over fences as other breeds. agree with ycbm about X-rays etc as well.

Littlebear

Visit site
Warmblood is a broad term - do you know the exact breeding as could still have a tonne of tb blood in there. They are all so different its hard to generalise a massive spectrum. Also you say just turned 3, when exactly does she turn 4?
I have one that was 3 end of summer and i don't ride him yet, you cant plan too much as they all grow at different rates and you dont want a load of pressure put on a 3 yr old to be ready to compete as it turns 4, you could end up with a load of issues down the line, you may not I am just saying a younsgter is a good idea alongside an established horse unless you are prepared to wait and put the time or money in to the training x

4faults

Visit site
Just go and look with your eyes wide open, can’t hurt. You will need to take your time though every warmblood I know hasn’t matured fully until they are around 7-8. I have 11 of them and have worked on yards breeding/producing/competing them exclusively for the last 18 years. They were always lightly backed at 3 then turned away till middle of their 4 year old year. Some privately owned ones did young horse classes and almost entirely broke down by the time they were 8 or needed extra help I.e injections. If I was to buy I would want xrays as they can be prone to OCD. That said at least you would have time to get to know her and build a bond as of next year is anything like this year competitions will be limited at best

Teaboy

Visit site
Personally if it’s a really smart warmblood, showing ability under saddle but a good price I would without a doubt be xraying all joints. Truly smart horses with great breeding and ability are rarely cheap even when unproven unless there’s a reason.