Buying a young racehorse

LadySam

Visit site
My original post was to ask whether people with experience of young ex-racers think I should crack on with re-schooling or give the youngster more time to mature first...

To answer your original question - I do some work with a racehorse re-training and re-homing program. When ours come off the track they get six months off in a paddock, out 24/7 with other horses to chill out and remember how to be a horse again. The thing with racehorses in training is that their lives tend to be sort of institutionalised from a very young age. A rest and a chance to be social with other horses, living in a herd (even a very small one) with everything that entails does them the world of good, we've found.

[59668]

Visit site
I'd strongly recommend Nunstainton stud in Co Durham. They breed all their own, and the 6 yr old I bought from them this year is a lovely horse and very well mannered, and pretty much bombproof. They have a girl that was on the british event team breaking in and backing them, and seem to turn out nice looking and moving types. My horse has taken to eventing very easily, and is one of the easiest horses I've had. You may have to pay a bit more, but it won't have been spoilt. NS are on facebook.

Having just looked at a video on their Facebook page I don't think I would go near them!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
The question you asked is fair enough, but is along the lines of "how long is a piece of string" That is why you have had no direct answers to the question. Read and learn.

Cluelessblonde

Visit site
I didnt read all the posts but go national hunt and you would be surprised how helpful the training yard can be. A lot of them are happy to help once they know 100 percent your not going try race the horse. I wouldnt agree with the age thing I know a 12 year old ex racer who is wired to the moon and a 6 year old who is a god send and always was. Racehorses generally have very good ground manners and any thats head is wired to the moon is not suitable for eventing. Its all in the temperament and confirmation. Also on a side note I know a lot of nh horse are hunted but I have never seen a flat horse out there.

Charlie007

Visit site
To answer your original question - I do some work with a racehorse re-training and re-homing program. When ours come off the track they get six months off in a paddock, out 24/7 with other horses to chill out and remember how to be a horse again. The thing with racehorses in training is that their lives tend to be sort of institutionalised from a very young age. A rest and a chance to be social with other horses, living in a herd (even a very small one) with everything that entails does them the world of good, we've found.

Can I ask where you work/ ride? PM me if you prefer.

superpony

Visit site
As others have said it totally depends on the individual. Personally I would go for NH horse. My ex NH horse definitely wasn't dangerous XC and was actually very careful showjumping!

minesadouble

Visit site
I don't know where you are based but it's definitely worth having a look on Pippa Kirby's FB page. We have had an ex racehorse from them and they are very straight and honest about where a horse's future talents may lie.

LPL

Visit site
Goodness me, there are a lot sweeping statements on this post.

NH horses are a pain to teach to jump and dangerous xc? As with all horses depends on the horse. I have had a Grade 1 winning hurdler who was a brilliant show jumper, very accurate and never had a fence down from the moment we started re trading him. He was safe xc but not over bold. I have had a slow but sweet 3 mile chaser who I would take down to any hedge but made for,the gate if I saw a rail coming unless it was over 3'6".

I have had sprint bred horses who have jumped and ones who haven't, ones who tried but never got it etc.

TB's are just like any other horse, they are all individuals. I would suggest you buy on good conformation and temperament if you can find out a bit in advance. After that, you may have found a brilliant one or it might be not what you want at all, buying horses straight out of training is a lottery.

This!!! I'm no ex racer expert but my little flattie has been a dream to retrain. No different to any other youngster except for his ability and passion to canter for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever. Check him out:http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?725990-Mr-G-s-ROR-journey

I haven't had any help from retraining experts, just loads of lessons with loads of different people alongside my regular instructor. Most pros have experience of ex racers these days anyway.

Lulup

Visit site
My ex racer came from Cheveral House in Nottinghamshire - they take horses off the track for rehoming and they all seem to be sane and sensible horses suitable for amateur riders - have a look at them on FB. I got mine at 3, turned away till 4, and now at 5 she is proving to be the most sensible hack I've ever owned and is nannying the 4yo's xx