Buying an ex-brood mare

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi guy,

A friend has offered that I buy her mare she only asking 1/3 of my budget . She been in work the last year has a great temperament but hasn’t done a lot . She is 10 and has had 4 foals . Would it put you off buying a mare who’s had so many foals for ridden work ?

Would you see any more back issue ?

Mary3050

Visit site
I think there is a lot more information I would need before I could give an opinion. Do you want to ride her? Has she been ridden in the past? Why has she been a broodmare the past few years - behaviour or soundness issues? That's just for starters.....

She is back in work has been for a year she mainly been hacking, a bit of dressage and showing . We would want her for low level dressage horse. They used her for breeding due to having good breeding that matched there stallion . However after the stallion died she stopped breeding but kept the mare for hacking and light riding .

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have taken a couple of broodmares out of the breeding program (foals not up to scratch, or bloodlines over-represented in my herd) and had great success in ridden competition. One was 12 and had had eight foals. If she suits you I'd encourage you to go for it.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I remember reading an article in one of horsey magazines years ago about a pony who retired from breeding and went back to being ridden then proved a very talented show jumper and was competing in open classes against horses. She was 13.2 and if I remember correctly called Poppet.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Definitely more info. My friend bought an ex brood mare, she is lovely. I would say she became a brood mare due to soundness issues. My friend has to micro manage everything and mares conformation doesn't help!