Buying an in need of TLC trailer- is it worth it?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
OH mentioned in passing that if I saw a cheap in need of TLC trailer he wouldn’t mind it as a project. Great, I think, a way to keep him busy and out of my hair for a few days/weeks!

have seen an ifor 505 that is local to me (about 30 mins drive) for just shy of £1k. Looks to be in decent nick apart from needing new side panels.

im not bothered about saving money by doing it up ourselves, it would just be a little side hobby for OH to take as long as he likes (his father is a joiner and he worked with him as a teen/uni days so is comfortable with that kind of diy work). But what I don’t want is for this to end up costing more money to fix than to buy one that doesn’t need doing up?

To cut a waffle post short, how much would replacing side panels cost? Obviously this is based on the rest of the trailer being ok.

thanks!

ihatework

Visit site
Donkeys years ago when I had a 505 I think the panels cost about £100 each, but I remember the guy telling me how much it was to fit them and being quite shocked, think it was around £400 a panel.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Donkeys years ago when I had a 505 I think the panels cost about £100 each, but I remember the guy telling me how much it was to fit them and being quite shocked, think it was around £400 a panel.

I have seen similar based on a quick google search, seems quite pricey just to fit! Think we will do some research into how difficult it is to fit first before I put too much faith in OH's abilities ;)

NeverSurrender

Visit site
I bought an old Bahill for circa 600 quid. Trailers are very good at hiding faults if you don't inspect them meticulously, especially older ones with ignored wooden floors.

Mine was a project with my now ex and by the time it had been painted, serviced, new floor etc it really would have been cheaper to look at something older from a reputable dealership, or use the money as a down payment for finance!

Equi

Visit site
Unless it was under £500 i wouldn't. If it needs new panels, it likely needs a new floor. I just put a floor down and it was £550 (put down myself) then i sold it for the same price as i would have if i had not bothered and just said sold as seen. That would not have been an option for me, but i still feel like ive threw £550 into the wind lol