Buying direct from German stud

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would buy her 1000 times over! The video just kept getting better and better.

Bit dubious that she is really suitable for a beginner and like that her strength is her interior (?) but yes yes yes for me.

ETA - Well, no. I wouldn't for me, but she is nice.

Last edited:

daffy44

Visit site
The mare looks really lovely!

I have bought a couple of foals direct from a German stud with no problems at all, but I did know a member of staff in the stud personally, but it worked out very well for me.

DirectorFury

Visit site
The mare is gorgeous! I see that all their horses are POA which screams to me ‘you can’t afford this’ (and I don’t want another right now) - I’m guessing they’re all 15k+?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Me neither but the Westphalian breed society have all their graded horses, mares, foals, riding ponies, DR and SJ’ers being sold at auction from the headquarters online at the moment for anyone wanting to watch ?

Oh I shouldn't have read this. I miss my Westphalian, I was saying the other day that if I were younger, I would be very tempted to buy from her breeder. She was imported before I bought her but she was absolutely fabulous!

rara007

Visit site
How so Cortez? I’m currently battling in my mind between quality of horse vs age and training level. I have a pretty small budget (for out and out sports horses) and even in a few months time I don’t think I can justify spending much into the 5 figures for ‘potential’. I’m from a different world to the ‘proper’ horse fraternity! And I’m a 1 person amateur, I don’t need the next Totilas and neither could I keep (small private yard typical British yard group turnout on clay, 40x20 outdoor arena) or train it without losing my nerve or breaking my neck :p I’m thinking I might go over to a few of the studs that do break to drive after lockdown is over to in person trial them. I’m not bothered they can barely shift the carriage but a straight forwards ride and also happy in shafts I’d want from a 4yo. In my mind my estimate for ‘value’ for breaking to drive is around 3k.
The alternative is a smarter 3yo but then you’ve got every single step of the way to do and you can tell less about character...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't like the over exaggerated leg throw for the strength as I think it leads to potential strains, which is why I said not fr me personally, but... I love that she has done an appropriate amount of each thing. They haven't tried to make her anything she isn't. She can pop a fence. She can pull a cart. She can hack. They have also faffed a bit. She can work on grass, in water... all appropriate faffing rather then just being drilled in a school, and all done with a nice disposition. Like that 1000%.

be positive

Visit site
I like a lot about her but to me she is short of front and while there is some growing to do I think she will always lack in that area, your signature has what appears to be a really impressive front and probably rides big, I know this is for driving predominantly but you still need pulling power, something that has presence and that has as much in front of the girth, if not more, as behind to give a balanced ride/ picture, I think she will ride small and narrow, it may be you like and want that but I prefer more in front of me.

tristar

Visit site
i don`t like warmbloods, but i do like traks, but she ticks all the boxes for me because she jumps out at me, a special girl, with a great attitude, light and forward enough, not wide or heavy, and in years to come, if given time and taken slowly i can imagine she will change a lot and fulfill the potential of her light and easy movement, if not pushed and i would like to ride her.

its a credit shes broken to harness but i would not drive her, i would allow her to find her balance under saddle

i would always buy from a stud where poss

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

I did indeed :) imported as a weanling and he’s now a stunning 2yo. He’s everything I could have wished for in my first proper baby, which still amazes me as we bought from videos alone.

I was lucky that I had a friend who lived not too far away from the breeder and was able to advise on vets for the vetting, google translate was handy for checking the notes ;)

In terms of payment, I negotiated in euros even though the price was in £’s so it didn’t seem like I was asking for a huge amount off, by some minor miracle they agreed so I ended up with a bit of a bargain. Payment wise I used TransferWire to avoid getting stung by my own banks international charges. Just keep an eye on the rates as they’re constantly changing, and don’t look again once you’ve paid so you’re not left kicking yourself if they suddenly drop. We insured as soon as payment was made just in case something happened, but fortunately all was fine

We used John Parker for transport, they were brilliant, kept us updated throughout and looked after my boy incredibly well, they even sent pics along the way.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions :)

Charla

Visit site
Not going to comment on the horse as after the ridiculously sharp trak my sister has we'd never get another one, but thats how you make a vid to sell one thats for sure!! Good luck in your hunt.

What bloodlines does your sisters Trak have? I am currently looking at an unbroken 4 year old Trak....someone else said about how sharp they are too

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Oh I shouldn't have read this. I miss my Westphalian, I was saying the other day that if I were younger, I would be very tempted to buy from her breeder. She was imported before I bought her but she was absolutely fabulous!
I have a Westphalian and he too was imported before I bought him. He's such a lovely boy, quite elderly now but a great stamp of a horse

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My German Riding Pony is Westphalian, he has the kindest nature, tries hard and I wouldn’t change him for the world but he has never been the easiest in the world. He can be sharp one day, relaxed the next, has EMS which is in itself a challenge and after riding him tonight I could quite happily retire him because I would like to see my 60th birthday ?

rara007

Visit site
My current one is German riding pony (15.2) under the Oldenburg book :) Champion de Lux lines but clearly a bit of a throwback! He came as quite a weed and is nothing special confo wise (quite the reverse!) but he has the movement and brain. His front legs are pony, back legs horse! He’s not not sharp- the reason I could afford him from Germany was because he’s sharp and prone to tension but he’s pretty straight forwards now we have an understanding. This will be my 2nd German horse and have had 2 from Holland plus dad had 4 also from Holland so the logistics isn’t a concern and I don’t think a bit sharp is a worry but I do want it to have enough brain do a job with suitable work!
4E6C67B6-2BB2-4875-9BBF-C32779C58BED.jpegCE9BF619-B197-4527-9A07-515148D0046D.jpegFA4699E7-5D18-4BDD-B914-CC7B8D1A1739.jpg
Him aged 4 would be perfect but actually he’s such a freak I doubt you’d spot him as potential. More classically correct would leave less to freakish nature!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Although I'm in Germany, I've never bought in Germany. Always from surrounding countries, just by chance! Andd due to my interests in Iberian horses.

The mare seems like a decent all-arounder. She's on the opposite end of the country from me, so I have no knowledge of that seller.

I think in the case of most riders, temperament should be at the top of the list. Many buy a fancier Warmblood or one put together well, but can't ride/train the thing worth a darn so it's useless anyway. You can have the best of both worlds, but you'll pay!

There's a few things I could pick out if I were being picky, but if you're mainly shopping for character and a horse that'll do the job, I think she would be suitable.