Buying drugs on the internet....

dressedkez

Visit site
I looked on the internet for prices of Sedaline (horse sedative) as I want to clip my horses soon, and from experience a couple of clicks of sedaline per horse, just makes the job a bit easier.
I found a price of £15.....but I needed a vets script. (druggy slang for perscription, not that I am really famaliar with this 'street language'! )
I called my vet and asked if they could do a similar price. They told me that a script would cost me £13 - but that they would offer me 20% of the cost of the drug, if I bought it direct from them.
I was really glad that I asked the question, as I only ended up paying circa £4 more than the internet price.
It is time to challenge the price we are sold general drugs from our Vets, really, don't you think?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes, I always do. I have quite a good relationship with my vets and they often give me free stuff that's nearly out of date (for the cattle not the horse).

They will usually negotiate I find, especially if you are a good customer.

Daytona

Visit site
Absolutely I did the same with my vet for a drug for my dog was paying £44 found it on net for £21 rang him up asked for prescription and they said they would sell it to me from now on for £22.

Mugsgame

Visit site
While I understand that looking after and being wise with your money is important to the majority of people, and getting a good deal is very helpful... playing devils advocate here... the internet shops only concerns are premises to store and dispatch product from and a small team of associated staff. Overheads are low, and margins can be kept very tight because of this. I know we all want to save money... but most of us will also be glad of the services of good vets and their ever evolving equipment, treatment methods and knowledge (day or night) at some point or other I'm sure. Just a thought, not saying right or wrong, just more to the story than meets the eye!

Nicnac

Visit site
Just a word of caution. A few years ago I ordered some Dermobion over the internet from Belgium as had always got Aluspray & other bits that I grew up with from over there.

Last year I received a very officious letter from Defra saying that the owners of site I ordered off had been imprisoned for illegal activity :eek: and that their largest customers had been fined. My name was on their list as a customer (along with 300 or so others) and I could be taken to court over it.

I took it to a lawyer who was of the opinion that they wouldn't take it any further in view of the small orders I had made.

dressedkez

Visit site
While I understand that looking after and being wise with your money is important to the majority of people, and getting a good deal is very helpful... playing devils advocate here... the internet shops only concerns are premises to store and dispatch product from and a small team of associated staff. Overheads are low, and margins can be kept very tight because of this. I know we all want to save money... but most of us will also be glad of the services of good vets and their ever evolving equipment, treatment methods and knowledge (day or night) at some point or other I'm sure. Just a thought, not saying right or wrong, just more to the story than meets the eye!

Yes of course you are absolutely right and correct, we need our local Vets and I hope that I have a good relationship with mine - they have done wind operations on my horses, and have sorted out many a foot abscess, and tendon problem - I am really lucky to have a really knowledgable horse practice, practically on my door step. But for run of the mill drugs and accessories such as vet wrap / wormers - they do need to be a bit more competitive in the prices they charge. Vets have had a monopoly for many years, and we need to challenge value for money on this. Our vets are wising up to this, and are offering all sorts of local deals for local people - and hacking ones horses down the road to have their vaccinations (to avoid a call out fee) has been de rigour for a number of years now. But often with many practices (and not my own, necessarily) you do have to ask - they will not offer......