Buying fields with stables

pretendhorse

Visit site
I'm not posting this under my normal user name because I need to keep it under the radar!

I may have the opportunity to purchase a few acres of land with some old stables and 2 small shelters on it. Its very much a 'may' because there is a property developer also interested and if there's the chance of planning permission then the price will go sky high.

Just so I can make sure I'm not caught out by any major costs can anyone who already owns something similar let me know the situation on;

- any ongoing rates (its not a business at the moment and I will have it for private use only)
- approx insurance cost. I know I haven't given much to go on, but any idea will be helpful
- it looks like it falls way under the stamp duty threshold but are there any other buying costs apart from usual solicitor fees?

Thank you :)

meleeka

Visit site
How exciting! I hope you get it. I don’t pay any rates for my 2 acres with stables. I have smallholders insurance which is about £250 per year. i can’t remember how much solicitors cost, but it would have been hundreds rather than thousands.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Small holders insurance £350, solicitors fee £1,500. Just seen three acres advertised for £150,000 near me and two very old stables (near collapse) it must be up for planning permission at that gob stopping price

scruffyponies

Visit site
Small holding insurance includes loads of things you may not need. I only pay 3rd party liability insurance for my land. It's about £150 for 12 acres with a river through it.

canteron

Visit site
Another thought. Lots of parcels of have a clause that if in the future the property gets planning permission on it the vendor gets a % payback - you may be able to use that to your advantage in negotiating.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Small holders insurance £350, solicitors fee £1,500. Just seen three acres advertised for £150,000 near me and two very old stables (near collapse) it must be up for planning permission at that gob stopping price
Lol, that's cheap..... I posted this on another thread the other day, adjacent yard, 4 stables 2 acres (advertised as 3 acres)power and water on, shared main gate but own plot fenced.
Offers over 250k. Has had lots of interest. (In a sang area, so definitely will not get any planning for accom)