Buying first horse

equestriansports

Visit site
So finally going to buy my first horse, had one on loan - never again! - but am righting a huge list of things I need. Got the stable and grazing already and grooming kit, lead rope, halter etc, some haynets and buckets, going to get something that comes with rugs and tack and so far my list looks like this:
Rubber matting
Salt lick / stable toys
Stable guard
Buckets / haynets
Wheelbarrow
Shovel / fork / brush
Boots
Rug rack
Is there anything I'm missing?
Horse I'm looking to go and view has just had someone come for their second visit, they're going to call the lady with the decision, fingers crossed they don't buy him!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
A quick search on here should bring up multiple threads on what you need for a new horse but one thing I will say is don't assume that just because the horse comes with tack that it will fit. My boy came with tack only for me to find weeks later that the saddle had a twisted tree cue 6 weeks of physio and a brand new saddle.

Drumroll

New User
Visit site
So finally going to buy my first horse, had one on loan - never again! - but am righting a huge list of things I need. Got the stable and grazing already and grooming kit, lead rope, halter etc, some haynets and buckets, going to get something that comes with rugs and tack and so far my list looks like this:
Rubber matting
Salt lick / stable toys
Stable guard
Buckets / haynets
Wheelbarrow
Shovel / fork / brush
Boots
Rug rack
Is there anything I'm missing?
Horse I'm looking to go and view has just had someone come for their second visit, they're going to call the lady with the decision, fingers crossed they don't buy him!

The Horse. Don't forget that bit.

WindyStacks

Visit site
First aid kit. The more you have the less likely it is you'll need to use it. Fact. Also if you only have one lead rope the dope will break it. Fact 2.

Essential - bottle of baileys for winter 11's or as comfort after a horrid ride.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
So finally going to buy my first horse, had one on loan - never again! - but am righting a huge list of things I need. Got the stable and grazing already and grooming kit, lead rope, halter etc, some haynets and buckets, going to get something that comes with rugs and tack!

Don't limit yourself to getting "something that comes with rugs and tack!". Remember the horse is the most important thing & must be right for you. If you find the right one & it comes with tack then fine but if it doesn't then don't discount it. Horse first & don't let extras offered by the seller cloud the issues. :)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

And if they decide NOT to buy, after 2 visits, not a bad idea to ask yourself why! It's not smart to RUSH to buy your first horse (or your second, or third!)

milesjess

Visit site
Lots...

Rugs - light/ medium/ heavy turnouts/ stable/ fleece/ fly. Always an idea to have spares too.
Bridle
Bit
Saddle
Girth
Stirrups
Stirrup leathers
Buckets
Feed bins
Scoop
Bucket covers
Hay
Bedding
Boots (if needed)
Saddle cloth
Feed
Head collar/ lead rope ... Again have a spare!
Grooming kit
Various sprays/ shampoo
First aid kit (always a good idea!!)
Mucking out equipment (fork/ brush/ wheelbarrow)
Haynets
Lunge line
Water bucket

Then of course, farrier/ dentist/ vet if getting vetted.

equestriansports

Visit site
Thanks all :) Very much appreciated.
Wasn't trying to limit myself - would just be handy. The people have decided not to buy him. Lady is heavily pregnant so needs a sale soon. She'd like to see where he'd be kept if I like him. Really excited, just not building my hopes up in case he's an absolute nutter.

milesjess

Visit site
Good luck :) I got mine 4 days ago, starting off is initially the expensive part but you don't have to buy it all at once, like rugs etc can wait.

Hope he is right for you and it all goes well. Exciting time!

equestriansports

Visit site
That insurance is cheap! I was looking at insurance last night and for vet fee's included I'd be paying £42 a month or around £410 per year or something silly. Let's just pray this horses isn't silly and think 'oo, fence...let's go kick it!' or something ridiculous. My friend is going to ride him first because she competes XC and all of that fun stuff so if anyone is happy to come off him, it'll be her haha.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
That insurance is cheap! I was looking at insurance last night and for vet fee's included I'd be paying £42 a month or around £410 per year or something silly. Let's just pray this horses isn't silly and think 'oo, fence...let's go kick it!' or something ridiculous. My friend is going to ride him first because she competes XC and all of that fun stuff so if anyone is happy to come off him, it'll be her haha.

Yeah that sounds more like it. I think I pay around about £38 per month but I'd rather pay more and know that they'll pay out if I ever need to make a claim. It definitely sounds like you've got the right approach when it comes to viewing. Just go view a couple of horses either way and don't be afraid to ask to view again if you're unsure.

kirstie

Visit site
I would definitely say don't limit yourself to something that comes with tack and rugs. As someone else said, it often doesn't fit!

£42 a month insurance is cheap and definitely cheaper than forking out for a hefty and unexpected vet bill.

As for your list, saddle pads/ numnahs, basic first aid kit (hibiscrub, cotton wool, vet wrap, animalintex, savlon, sudocream, silver spray, latex gloves, gamgee, stable bandages), high vis for hacking, water proof exercise sheet...

gnubee

Visit site
Things you need:
HeadcollAr
Lead rope
Bucket(feed and water)
Hoof pick
Dandy brush
Feed
Straw
Small hole haynet?
Basic first aid kit
Torch
Waterproof coat for you
Insurance
Savings

Things you need soon unless provided at yard:
Wheelbarrow
Fork
Slightly more extensive first aid kit
Spares from the top list
Rugs as required
Saddle
Bridle
Wormers

Things you may want at some point:
Everything else.

Don't rush into it. Significant savings from waiting til sales for rugs etc. you might not need a stable guard etc. rug racks are expensive. Baling twine and rings are not. It's more fun to buy horse non essentials when you can afford them, you know the horse and your routine so understand exactly what you want, and in odd bits so they aren't a massive financial hit. It is WAY MORE IMPORTANT to have a good chunk of savings to cover vet insurance excess, random things you need but forgot to buy, illness of your horse before insurance kicks in, trainer/instructor for issues arising with your new pony, saddle fitter when you realise the one you got it with doesn't fit.
Unless you have thousands already in reserve to cover all that, save it and buy the non essentials as you need it.

Moved my first horse in (at home so no one to borrow off) with just the first list. Had 2nd list within a month. It was nearly a year before I bought anything past the 2nd list.
You really don't need most of it!

3OldPonies

Visit site
Don't forget some treats!

(For both of you - but not too many!)

Lincoln and Spillers do some nice herby horse munchies and M&S and Waitrose are decent hunting grounds for human munchies

milesjess

Visit site
Horse insurance they are called - only £18 month, covers vet fees, third party and theft/ straying.

Cheap as chips and no hiccups on the policy wording etc :)

Horse is used for schooling, hacking etc...