Buying from Ireland, recommendations?!

holly2018

Visit site
Before I give up after searching for a year, does any one have any recommended breeders to buy 3/4year olds from in Ireland?

Been searching for a horse to produce for myself after loosing my mare (had her 10 years) this time last year and they are selling so quick, I am not quick enough by the time I can get down to view! (Usually 2-3 days of an ad going up, seems we all want the same at the moment lol)

Enquired about a lovely performance bred mare that they had been bought direct from breeder in Ireland as a 3 year old last year so I'm thinking about going down this route, I just wouldn't know where to start? (She had sold already)

Looking for a 15-15.2, 3/4 year old to produce for eventing/show jumping. I am based in the UK, If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

pistolpete

Visit site
My old yard owner bought all her show cobs from Reid Finlay in Ireland. Some of them jumped well. She always bought unseen only had good horses. One was particularly good. Dapple grey lightweight cob. Stunner.

jnb

Visit site
I bought my HW coloured cob from Aughrim Stables (Kate Boyce) on Facebook, can't recommend enough. Although they're more widely known for show and traditional cobs, they do have Small and Hunter types and the odd sport horse. Mainly ID x or pure ID.
Worth a look.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Contact Olivia Chamberlain, I just bought my lad from her and I am really fussy! The horse is as described and I am delighted. A very easy buying experience. She is on Facebook.

ETA - Oh, sorry she is a dealer not breeder, but I still recommend!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I think you need to hold fire for awhile there are signs here that the market is dropping rapidly. If you have FB if you can see it you can read about the poor results at the Mullingar sales and clear signs the market is now falling. A great pity for the decent breeders and dealers who earn their money, but it might at least weed out all the low end stock that has been selling for ludicrous prices the past couple of years.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/234...cently_seen&multi_permalinks=2658409224455892

holly2018

Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions. Hopefully one will come up in the UK and I'll be quick enough - will keep these in mind if I go down the buying unseen route for Ireland

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I bought my filly off a very genuine couple in Ireland that own a livery yard and occasionally sell on horses they buy from the stud as foals and rear them on, so not the breeder as such. my filly was exactly as described and I'm very pleased, bought unseen but had a 5* vetting done by a great vet that was recommended by another friend. She was bred by (Godolphin) Kildangan Stud. There are 2 other half sisters I found on BE, both event.

Funnily enough they currently have her half sister for sale, 14.3 currently (to make 15-15.2) 3yr old Cob x Thoroughbred for sale, she's a smart little thing and backed. They're asking 5,000 euros. Happy to pass details on

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
If you're wanting something from Ireland I often think that Irish horse imports in Berkshire are worth a look. They wouldn't suit everyone as they literally buy them from the sales, import them and sell them the next day but IMO they take some of the risk out of buying from somewhere like Goresbridge and you have a two week warranty with them and the four week warranty with the auction.

Squeak

Visit site
I think you need to hold fire for awhile there are signs here that the market is dropping rapidly. If you have FB if you can see it you can read about the poor results at the Mullingar sales and clear signs the market is now falling. A great pity for the decent breeders and dealers who earn their money, but it might at least weed out all the low end stock that has been selling for ludicrous prices the past couple of years.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/234...cently_seen&multi_permalinks=2658409224455892

That's really interesting that the market seems to be falling. I wonder if it will start translating to prices in England too...

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
That's really interesting that the market seems to be falling. I wonder if it will start translating to prices in England too...

I would think if it continues to fall over here it will at some point be bound to have a knock on affect in the UK. Both horse markets are still deeply entwined despite Brexit. But of course that could also come into play at some point, probably when it is no longer possible to ship them out of Ireland to the UK via the North to avoid all sorts of extra expense and paperwork. I bet they soon stamp on that little loophole, if they haven't already! ;)