Buying from Ireland

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I am (Hopefully!) Looking to buy a 4/5yo in the spring (feb/march time). I've been looking around adverts for months and seen nothing that I'd be interested in at all! I'd be looking for something around 14 hands, a project type so just backed or green ideally, to either sell on in late summer or keep for longer depending on how it goes.
I'd love a connie, and have thought about buying from Ireland which I'd really like to do, but am really wary at the moment although I know people that have bought really nice horses over there, so I'm researching until I decide what to do! One of the reasons Im only thinking about it is that Im only 15 and my mum's not horsey at all - hence I don't have a massive budget. I'd be spending my own money on the pony and so I don't want to end up with something I can't do anything with or something thats far too much for me etc, and definitely don't want to go to Ireland unless I have someone experienced to go with me.
Those who have bought from Ireland, especially ponies, was it best to buy from private homes, breeders or in the sales? Did you have the horse vetted? Any advice as to where to find a nice project pony in England would also be appreciated, just want advice really! Thanks :)

dressedkez

Visit site
If you want a nice connie - suggest you start with the reputable breeders - Henrietta Knight is one. If you want a cheap Irish horse, plenty of those at the moment - and the lovely Irish, to be sure, will always have the loveliset animals.....you sound a bit of a novice - so talk to the breed society and go from there - yes the breeders you will meet will still want telephone numbers of their well bred lovelies - but one or two - if you are honest about your budget, might provide you with links to cheaper (but nice) animals.......

Clippy

Visit site
If you buy in Ireland there are lots of bargains but it will still cost you around £300 on top to get your pony home

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I know you have a limited budget, but always vet. You may want to sell on so you need to know if your buying unseen problems. What is your experience in riding youngsters that need brought on? And not quite sure of the law, but I most certainly wouldn't sell a 15 YO a pony over the phone. Nor a 15 YO without parents present. I'm sure plenty will but I personally don't think that's in the best interest for you and the pony.

I have come to love the Connie. Before having a client that breeds full and part breds I thought a pony was a pony. I have been proven wrong on that! I break all this guy's ponies. He wouldn't have anything suitable as the 4&5 yo's were few and his daughter rides those. The ones we've had with no Connie blood in them have been " just" ponies. Connie's will do anything for you.

Prices for the ones doing a little something are about right. If all you're looking for is cheap, plenty of those in Ireland. But if you want quality and safety you need to spend a little money.

The above about my client's horses are not an advert because I wouldn't sell you a pony. My allegiance is to the ponies. Buying over the phone without vetting to a 15 YO who I have never seen ride and who is buying her first pony won't let me sleep at night. Sorry. I might not have much but integrity is always free.

Terri

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Thanks for replies
As I said before, Ive had my own horses since I was 10, so it certainly won't be 'my first pony' I have experience riding very novice horses, riding other peoples as well as the 4yo welsh I had last year, and have a very good riding instructor who we are good friends with who thinks I would be fine so long as I had help. I would definitely not be looking to buy unseen, I would be going over with my mum + an experienced friend if I did decide to buy from Ireland.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
In your original post you didn't seem to keen to come over and didn't really want to vet. Vetting protects both parties. I most certainly don't want to sell anything without a vetting so I can get accused of being shady. Even if I took rads of everything for sale I'd still want potential buyers to do their own.

It's imperative you look and ride what you want to buy. I'd also make sure you do more than ride in the arena. Even better if you can ride them somewhere else besides home.

In England and Ireland you can get taken advantage of equally. Make that everywhere in the world.

I did sell a horse all the way to America sight unseen. Nothing was ever more nerve wracking. I told that woman everything I could think of with that mare. She even laughed and said, are you trying to put me off buying her? Some people live by "buyer beware" and take full advantage. But I really do think about the horse first or at least I try to. It's why I don't really sell anymore.

Sorry if I offended you in any way. I can't really take someone's accomplishments online as the last word. You have no idea how many times people have come to me to ride green or not novice horses as clearly stated in adverts only to find myself stopping the session before someone gets hurt.

Best of luck and just be careful. I think for what it will cost you to make a trip over here and spend time looking around at ponies in Ireland, you can find what you're looking for in England.

Terri