Buying from Ireland?

conniegirl

Visit site
Due to the very Sudden and unexpected death of my beautifull young coloured pony I am looking for a new neddy to fill the enormous hole in my life.

I've found a horse in Ireland that I like the look of and want to go and view but dont want to make the trip to see just one. Does anyone know any websites that I can look at to find a few more to look at?

Also when buying from Ireland how much does it cost to have a horse brought back over? My mum is litteraly only 30 mins drive from Holyhead, but I am in Hull so Idealy would like it brought to me (however It could go to mum first if needs be).

What is needed in terms of paperwork? and is arranging a vetting the same over there?

LCH611

Visit site
very timely as I am about to dash off and meet the transporter with the pony we bought on Saturday, and we have another one arriving tomorrow. It will cost you £250 if you use Dunlops, and it doesn't seem to make much odds whereabouts in the UK you want it taken! Take a look at www.donedeal.co.uk but be warned you will see all sorts on there!

We haven't had any of ours vetted (but no reason why it would be different to arranging a vetting here?), and they just need a passport to travel

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Look at Eric Gillis transport on facebook people rave about them they look quality. I bought a weaned foal few years ago and picked it up myself its more expensive transporting yourself but straight forward. There are quite a few horse sales in Ireland and quite an eye opener, but you may find a little star which needs some TLC to shine - Good luck

CBAnglo

Visit site
I bought a 4 yr old Connemara from Ireland about 2 yrs ago and went through an agent (who is a friend of a friend). The reason I did this was because I did not have time to go over and try any out + the cost of going over was more than the agent's fees and she travelled miles looking at suitable types. I also had a very firm idea of what I wanted in terms of age/breeding and I was looking for something that was unbacked/recently backed so I didn't really have anything to "try". If I were going for a more established horse I would have gone over to try them out.

Vetting + xrays was about 250 euros and the transport to Essex was 350 euros. In total, the horse was the same as what I would have paid for something in England without the vetting/transport etc so wasn't a "bargain" but there were plenty of others I could have bought for 1,000 less (but they were all younger - 3ish as opposed to 4ish).

My agent also knows lots of breeders/producers and so she went to a few of those + those from word of mouth (mine was from the head of the local PC) and she dealt with everything/attended the vetting/arranged transport etc so I didn't have to do anything except wait for the pony to turn up. I would def do it again but would still use an agent as it is much easier for her to get a range of horses for me to try over a weekend rather than me ringing up and trying to arrange them. One of the breeders literally dragged the 3 yr/4 yr olds in from the field, hosed them down and lined them up for inspection. She then trialled a few for me (all of this was captured on video) and then I got to narrow them down for the second viewing.

Also, I looked for similar ponies around me (or within an hours drive) and after going to see a few that were not as described I proceeded with the Irish purchase and he is 100% as described (ok, maybe 99% he is slightly cheekier than I thought he would be but has such an innocent face it is easy to be fooled).

Last edited:

Jane_Lou

Visit site
George Mullins for transport, if you don't know anyone I would recommend using an agent. We bought our mare 2 years ago but I lived in Ireland for years so have great contacts but even then I struggled to find what I wanted and we went to goresbridge. We were coming back empty handed until I got a call to look at this mare through a friend of a friend. She was neither a gelding or under 16h but ticked every other box and has far exceeded our expectations.

What are you looking for?

conniegirl

Visit site
www.donedeal.ie or www.irishhorsegateway.ie also Irish sales- Goresbridge www.irishhorse.com and Cavan- www.cavanequestrian.com

Perhaps put a wanted ad on Donedeal asking for videos etc. that way you have an idea if you want to see the horse or not. What is it you have in mind as in is it a connemara you are after I can post suitable links if you want something specific.

I'm after top class coloured plaited horse, between 14.2hh and 15.2hh (small hunter type or riding horse type would be wonderful). Gelding preferably and 3 or 4 yrs old. Dont mind unbroken but must be a nice "person"

what part of Ireland are you intending to view?

The horse I've been shown is in Kilkenny but I may make a weekend of it, take the car etc so in that case it could be anywhere in ireland

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've bought three now after seeing ads on Donedeal. All were bought from photos/videos. I used Richard Balfour who charges £200 per horse. A one man band, but all horses turned up in good condition, not tucked up at all. One I had 5 stage vetted, that cost 100 euros, which I though was very reasonable. If you look on Cavan sales site, it has a list of vets used to vet the sale horses. Theres a dealer in Carlow has some nice types, some coloured, all very reasonable.Mind you, I don't know if they are reputable dealers or not, but they have a lot up for sale.

iris

Visit site
You will definitely have no problem finding your match in Ireland, you might as well make the weekend of it and see a bit of our countryside. If I come across any add that may match your criteria I'll forward it on to you and I wish you the best of luck with your search.

showpony

Visit site
Will send you couple of links by pm. My mares breeder has a couple of coloureds for sale!
I'm after top class coloured plaited horse, between 14.2hh and 15.2hh (small hunter type or riding horse type would be wonderful). Gelding preferably and 3 or 4 yrs old. Dont mind unbroken but must be a nice "person"

The horse I've been shown is in Kilkenny but I may make a weekend of it, take the car etc so in that case it could be anywhere in ireland

amandap

Visit site
Do they not have to have a coggins test before being shipped from Ireland to uk?
One of mine had to be tested when going from UK to Ireland but a few months later when the rest went over Coggins test cert was not required.
Transporters should be up to date with any testing certs needed.