Buying horses and compromising on what you want.

exracehorse

Visit site
I have no problems with SI. My lad lives in his SI rug 8 months of the year. And as he’s such a star in every other sense, I can forgive that. I compromised on the SI as I had him on loan initially and then bought him. But I have one horse in the field with ligament issues who is now retired so would never buy a horse with previous leg problems. I also have one with a sarcoid. Was only small when I bought him 4 years ago. It’s now a nightmare. Long story. So ... I’d definitely avoid in the future. And I guess the big compromise I made with my SI boy is that he’s a trotter x. He’s like marmite. You either like riding him or not. However is the best horse to hack out solo that I’ve ever had. Jumps like a stag. Loves long distance rides. And with schooling, his flat work is 109% better.

PSD

Visit site
I’ve always bought youngsters, so I guess my compromise would be that they might never be what I’ve originally bought them for. I wouldn’t ever knowingly take anything on with medical issues no matter how minor, I never want to go through having a sick horse again if I can help it.
Echo above poster who said wait, I have a friend looking for a section D 3/4 year old at the minute. She doesn’t want a hoys winner, just something smart enough to do showing and have fun with. Her budget is 2k, now normally this would find you something nice that’s ready to be broken and begin under saddle. she can’t find a single thing under 4K as the market is absolutely bonkers at the moment. Even ponies that have no showing records, blemishes, bad conformation etc are selling for big money.

I would definitely hang on.

Smurphy101

Visit site
I bought a sweetitch pone , he was a horse of a life time took me novice Eventing . His sweetitch was the reason I could afford him , if he hadn’t had it he would have been way out of my budget so I never minded it.
It was managed with a sweetitch rug and fly repellent. Would certainly buy him again.
What rug did u use?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Well I’m playing the long game — I wanted a Franklin foal and couldn’t find one so I’ve bought a baby Johnson/ Gribaldi mare so I can breed one in a few years ... plus hopefully have a nice dressage horse into the bargain (she thinks she’s an even yet and has jumped out of the field on more than one occasion!)

Jango

Visit site
I haven't really compromised, but I've had fairly broad criteria looking for horses. Something athletic 15 to 16.1hh, good attitude and fairly forward thinking. Good paces for dressage. I haven't been able to afford something 6-10 years old. I've had terrible luck with lameness issues (all horses bought aged 3-5 and 5* vetting) but all 3 of them have been good horses. One was pts, one is on long term loan with a friend and one is (touching all wood) sound now after 10 months of issues. Seems like I can pick a good personality but not the ones who will stay sound! I wouldn't buy one with pollen allergies, sweet itch; it would have to be older with a solid performance record and be cheap, I'm practically pleased if they have sarcoids, cheaper to buy and very easy to treat. I wouldnt buy anything with any noticeable lameness at vetting or leg issues. Temperament and soundness are the most important criteria unless you are a pro in my opinion.

planete

Visit site
I have always bought young, green horses with no known physical problems and enjoyed bringing them on. I am totally laid back about goals as I am not into competing and just enjoyed the journeys with them. I find the learning process for them and me the most rewarding aspect of horse ownership (and I am always skint anyway!) Sorry, this is not much help but basically I would not compromise on something physical which might turn out to be very expensive to sort out or a behavioural problem beyond my abilities.

Annagain

Visit site
It took me 14 months to find Charlie because I knew what I wanted and, while I was prepared to compromise a bit, I didn't want to stray too far from the brief as he's a horse for the next 15-20 years. The biggest compromise for me was colour as I really didn't want a grey (due to melanoma risk not just a scrubbing thing) but I ended up with a grey. Everything else about him is just what I wanted though. I think there's a difference between compromising on a risk and something that has a known problem though so I'd want to know a lot more about the sweet itch (if that's what it is). My old boy had fairly mild sweet itch back in the days when there were no rugs etc and I wouldn't have wanted to deal with any more than a mild case then but with rugs these days it is easier.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I compromised on a wonky body. I stupidly fell in love with him on trial. Like @planete I also enjoy the journey rather than the goals of competing ect. Both myself and the vet were shocked when he passed his flexion tests, lol! If we'd seen him on the lunge first we'd both have put good money on him not passing his flexion tests!

A good farrier, vet, physio and ETT therapist and he is starting to look like the horse i should have brought. He has the chiropractor out Friday which is very exciting and he is already feeling great and i cannot wait to keep going.

I think it was fate we found each other. He desperately needed to land on his feet and i desperately needed safe and steady and he is that and much, much more. :) If he doesnt 'come right'? Who cares, we'll just enjoy life together, however that looks :)