Buying horses from auctions in germany/holland?

beechtree

Visit site
I'm interested in buying two or three young horses (2/3yo) from Germany or Holland, to produce. Stallions or Geldings, unbroken.

Has anyone any experience of this? My budget is fairly small -Max 3k per horse- is this realistic?

Grateful for any advice at all! thanks :)

crabbymare

Visit site
I'm interested in buying two or three young horses (2/3yo) from Germany or Holland, to produce. Stallions or Geldings, unbroken.

Has anyone any experience of this? My budget is fairly small -Max 3k per horse- is this realistic?

Grateful for any advice at all! thanks :)
In Europe you are not likely to find 2 year olds in an auction, and the 3yr olds will most likely be ridden. Sadly for you the ridden auctions normally have a minimum bid of at least 6000€ (plus comission, insurance and vat on them) so you would be well under with your budget. It is unlikely that you would find a horse for that sort of money over there unless it had a problem, so it may be worth saving for a bit longer and going with a bit more money to get one.

AFB

Visit site
Ireland might be a more viable option, unless you're particular about having Dutch/German breeding?

beechtree

Visit site
Thanks AFB; i was hoping to find neddies with a bit of movement, to make dressage horses.

It's my understanding that you can't really find the more expressive moving types in Ireland? could be wrong though?

ihatework

Visit site
Thanks AFB; i was hoping to find neddies with a bit of movement, to make dressage horses.

It's my understanding that you can't really find the more expressive moving types in Ireland? could be wrong though?

No you wouldn’t go to Ireland to buy dressage youngstock.
But to be honest with a 3K budget you won’t find anything of really solid dressage breeding showing the raw gaits.

What you would find is something less spectacular / SJ bred that moves well enough to be useful with correct production. And that you could buy for 3K in Ireland if you were willing to travel around yourself, have a good eye and can see through hairy in the field

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Depends on what your definition of "to make dressage horses" is - what level were you thinking? £3k won't get you much at all in Europe, even if they're young. If you want to produce to a reasonable but not top level, then you'll be able to find what you need in Ireland if you have a good eye.

TheMule

Visit site
You could buy some dodgy import that was destined for the meat factory with that money but not much else!
You may wish to look at British bred yearlings who breeders need to shift before winter, but you won't get anything special at that money