Buying In-Utero

Elliebabe

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a dressage foal next year and have started looking at various website etc and noticed many are available to buy In-Utero.

Can anyone tell me how this process works?

Costs - is it cheaper to buy in-utero, do you pay livery for the mare, any other costs?
What if the foal isn't fit for purpose when born
What do I need to ensure is written into any contracts etc.

I'm sure there's loads I haven't even thought of, so please tell all.

Many thanks

CorradeeStud

Visit site
Hi,
I know it that way that the contract is made before the foal is born. After the foal is born the vet is checking the foal when it is 3 days old and if its healthy the contract is fulfilled and the foal is owned by the buyer. If the buyer wants he can have a insurance set up for the foal till its weaned. I personally wouldn´t charge "livery" or anything else till the foal is weaned as till then it belongs to its mother.

Monkers

Visit site
There are so many beautifully bred foals for sale this year at knockdown prices direct from the stud. It's likely that there will be plenty of choice next year too. Why buy in-utero when you will have plenty to choose from this time next year!

Elliebabe

Visit site
Thanks CS, useful info.

Monkers - I understand what you're saying and yes, you're right there's loads of quality foals on the ground and that's probably the way I'll go but I've noticed a foal due next year on a website who's bloodlines really appeal to me and would like to have the first chance on this foal. I just wanted to ask some questions before I contacted the stud to see what T&C's they would offer.

Thanks again

Spring Feather

Visit site
In-utero sales are usually cheaper than buying a live foal on the ground. Usually the foal buyer pays the in-utero price and that's it really. Livery, foaling down, initial vet check and newborn jabs, feet trims and worming are included in that price until the foal is weaned and ready to leave. The foal buyer usually sets up insurance for the foal for as early as they can. The buyer pays for transportation at weaning and if they want the foal to have it's vaccinations prior to departure (I always recommend this) then the buyer will cover that cost too.