Buying puppies by the litter from Ireland to sell in Scotland :(

Moody-Mare

Visit site
Guys! Looking for a bit of advice, long story short. A woman I know has been buying puppies by the litter from Ireland to sell in Scotland. I didn't know the ins and outs of it all, until a litter appeared at the yard where my horses are liveried. (Woman had told yard owner she had been 'given' these puppies to find homes and yo have her a stable)
6 cocker spaniel puppies, thin, smelly, sticky eyes, dirty bums... Some v. small and one with a really bad eye. Woman claims she's selling them on behalf of an irish breeder who is in the midst of losing her breeding license. Can I report to sspca? Is there any rules or regulations on this? Puppy laundering?
Help!

Alec Swan

Visit site
I strongly suspect that however distasteful the practice, the law has not been broken. Before breeders or dealers need to apply licenses, they need to keep a set number of breeding bitches or have a set number of litters. I suspect that the woman who you know hasn't committed a criminal offence, yet, though 'has been buying' smacks of a business attempt. Are the puppies registered with the IKC and have they been chipped? Have they been docked?

On a slightly more cheery note, a focused bout of worming, probably a bath in an antibacterial and parasite ridding chemical, and a decent diet, and they should very soon pick up. Considering the problems which some seem to have perhaps a trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea!

In your shoes I wouldn't report the woman to any charity.

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Just as a footnote; If this woman you know is buying in complete litters, or puppies as 'batches', then the authorities to report the matter to are Trading Standards. They have authority to enter private property and the authority to affect an arrest, should that be necessary.

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Actually Alex you are wrong, these puppies will need to have passports if they have come in from Ireland, and as these puppies sound very sick the person selling them is committing an offence.

Moodymare you do need to report her to the SSCPA and stress how poor these puppies are.

MyOldPony

Visit site
Go with your gut instinct. you know it's wrong and I would 100% report it to the mentioned campaigners (puppy love) do not underestimate their cause, they are committed to their cause and they do indeed bring about change (I know personally) and cannot stress how fantastic their work is to stop this horrendous puppy trading business and chances are they will know exactly where they came from and the more information they are fed the better to stamp this out. I think these puppies need more than just a wormer and good food for goodness sake and I do worry about the unsuspecting buyers taking on these puppies. If we turn a blind eye to such practice then what message are we sending out!
By all means report this to trading standards but please do go one step further and open the link given and report all info you have on these puppies)

Alec Swan

Visit site
Actually Alex you are wrong, these puppies will need to have passports if they have come in from Ireland, ……...

The last two adult Cockers which I've bought in from Ireland (not puppies, I'll accept), and within the last 2 years have come over with IKC registration papers, but neither had 'Passports'. The registrations were subsequently transferred to me (a bit of faffing about, I'll accept), but not a 'passport' in sight! Has the Law regarding transfers of ownership, and of dogs from Ireland, changed?

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
It depends whether they came in from Southern or Northern Ireland for passports.

I find your advice to the op very worrying, they sound really ill to me and I dont think a worming or good food is going to do it, having my ear to the ground I hear a lot of similar stories and the unsuspecting public buy puppies incubating parvo etc and if the puppy survives they end up having a horrendous vets bill to contend with also.These puppies need help now, surely anyone with any compassion can see that.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

I find your advice to the op very worrying, …….. .These puppies need help now, surely anyone with any compassion can see that.

My advice is to do with practicalities, and the best advice which will assist the puppies to move on. That same advice contains the necessary degree of compassion. Whilst you may very well believe that I don't care, you're wrong, because I do.

I accept Dobiegirl that if I said it was Saturday, you'd argue that it isn't, but my advice to the OP remains. The 'importer' is highly unlikely to be prepared to involve the expense of a Vet, so self-help is the best route and I believe, the best advice. The route which I suggest will be the one which will give the puppies the best chance of a rapid improvement. I'm advising such a path.

It would be rare that reporting people to the Authorities (sic), would assist the puppies, but 'care' will.

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
It depends whether they came in from Southern or Northern Ireland for passports.

…….. .

I've done a bit of research, and I stand corrected! You're right and I thank you. It seems that the relatively (2 years would it be?) new conditions apply to those dogs which travel over from The South. I did however make a 'phone call to a guy who brings greyhounds over here from Ireland on a regular basis and he says that none of them ever have 'Passports'. He also says that he's never been asked for the said passports, either! I strongly suspect that it's yet another EU Directive which, mostly, is ignored. It seems that there are also no checks done on dogs travelling from the South to the North, which rather makes a nonsense of the Law.

Anyway, Passports or not, the condition of the puppies concerned probably wouldn't be affected by the issue of Passports, even if there is a condition attached to them.

Moody-Mare, has the condition of the puppies improved?

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Your welcome.

These puppies at the very least should have travelled over with some sort of vet certificate which would say they were healthy and fit for travel, the fact they can travel without any checks is a big concern, these pups could have come originally from eastern Europe and be incubating rabies, I just despair at how easy it is to circumnavigate all the rules.

I hope the OP has contacted puppylove and the Scottish RSPCA.

Goldenstar

Visit site
So would it be arrival from the North or the South which would need a passport?

Alec.

Any dog from the republic needs passport , rabies jab just as if it has been to France.
If you take your dog across the border to the south they need rabies shots more than 21 days before they come back to the UK .
I left my dogs in kennels in the north when I crossed the border in September and picked them up on the way back .

druid

Visit site
I bring gun dogs to and fro to Ireland regularly (my own) and have never ever been asked for a passport.