Buying Sight Unseen from Ireland

Irish gal

Visit site
I'm noticing a good number of posts from people interested in buying from Ireland. I'm wondering what would be the things buyers would like, that would help them feel more confident about purchasing?

If there was a good website offering all sorts of horses for sale, with a good bio about the owners/breeders and nice add on features, like the choice of having a respected expert try the horse or view for you - would that be attractive? Obviously there would be a fee for such services. Also through the site vetting and transport would be taken care of, again for a fee.

I'm wondering how it could be made more attractive and easier for horse people in the UK to buy from us directly so am open to all suggestions. There's a huge trade between us, fabulous horses here and it would be great to make it easier to hook up buyers and sellers. What would people like? There are already sites like done deal but I know there is not much confidence in using them. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I bought mine because the video of her clearly showed exactly what she was. And it was absolutely correct as to what she was like when she arrived.

Although she was exactly a hand smaller than she was meant to be!

I think a site where there was feed back from buyers kinda like eBay would be good. You'd need to be sure it was genuine so some moderation required by the person running the site.

Also help to arrange an independent vet and the phone numbers displayed so they work from the UK would be great!

I think you've got a good idea it's whether folk would be willing to pay for the service.

Irish gal

Visit site
Thanks for that FW. It's been on my mind awhile since watching the debates here, if people had a reputable person and point of contact to deal with it might make things easier.

I know loads of great farmer/breeders but to be honest many people in the UK might find it even hard to understand their accents. They have wonderful stock and are sick of being fleeced by dealers and middlemen. They would love to sell direct but don't know how to go about it and that's where the site could come in.

Of course everything would have to be transparent with vets numbers displayed etc, that's not a problem. The fee would be added into the sales price for the buyer but wouldn't be huge. I get the impression people might not mind paying for the additional peace of mind, rather then just cold calling on done deal. I might be wrong but that's the impression I get.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I bought from a dealer. I imagine the price would be the same or less even with your fees as you would be cutting out the middleman. You'd need a disclaimer in case someone tried to sue you for a misdescribed horse I suppose. And insurance.

Luci07

Visit site
It might be worth looking at the costs and time involved and then you can see if it's worth it. So if you went to somewhere like Irish Horse Imports, you could buy a nice 4 or 5 year old for roughly between £4-£5k. Roughly! They will have assessed their horses and you know that they will get decent horses as are buying in sufficient volumes and have the relationships in place. Factor in the time, and transport costs plus cost of keep and then see what the difference could be if you ran a page like this. As has been said, insurance and perhaps the cost of a 2*?. I would possibly think along the lines of a grading system whereby people could see what level of rider you think the horse is suitable for.

Irish gal

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions FionnWinnie and Lucio. Yes moderation would be absolutely important, I was thinking of interviewing the sellers to sound them out, then include a bio about them. Like the idea of a rating system that would be useful. Good idea about insurance, I thought a disclaimer would cover it, hadn't really thought of insurance.

I suppose it's really a question of whether there's a need for a site and would it be used. Maybe those with already buying like that are happy using done deal.

Irish gal

Visit site
It sounds a lot like an agent alright Michen but I think it's a little different. When I look at agent's sites there are actually not many horses to browse, they will usually go and find what you are looking for. Also they usually cover more of a region

I'm thinking of something that's like a cross between horsemart and using an agent. So a national site with horses from everywhere with the added help of extra support, like the option of having a professional in every area who will try the horse for you and give you an appraisal ( for a fee). A panel of equine vets available for vetting and the best transport companies. A one stop shop for buying horses direct from owners. Also, I'm sure there are buyers who don't want to be tied into using an agent, the site would offer something loser.

Michen

Visit site
AHhh I get you sorry didn't read thoroughly. Sounds like a good idea!!

It sounds a lot like an agent alright Michen but I think it's a little different. When I look at agent's sites there are actually not many horses to browse, they will usually go and find what you are looking for. Also they usually cover more of a region

I'm thinking of something that's like a cross between horsemart and using an agent. So a national site with horses from everywhere with the added help of extra support, like the option of having a professional in every area who will try the horse for you and give you an appraisal ( for a fee). A panel of equine vets available for vetting and the best transport companies. A one stop shop for buying horses direct from owners. Also, I'm sure there are buyers who don't want to be tied into using an agent, the site would offer something loser.

cauda equina

Visit site
As well as website for advertising horses for sale with all the support you mention, it might be useful to have a list of expert help who could go and assess any horse.
I have seen horses on done deal that I really like the look of; they're cheaper project type horses which probably wouldn't be aimed at the English market. I wouldn't be bold enough to buy just from the sellers account but an independent opinion would be really helpful.

Dusty85

Visit site
Having just gone through the whole process it seems like a very good idea in principle.

The problem a buyer has is the lack contacts; if there was one place where people who were 'graded' or had feedback then that would be ideal, otherwise its essentially just the same as Done deal.

However, the type that tend to buy unseen, tend to buy cheaply- that way its not (too much) of an issue if it all goes wrong. Therefore you need to work out a way of still making to cheaper than going to an agent.

I think the least complicated the better- have an eBay like system where by people receive feedback. Let them sort if they want vetting/transport/someone to sort it themselves- maybe also have a feedback system for horse transporters/vets etc?

Irish gal

Visit site
Thank you folks for all the feedback. It's really great, the ebay review style thing is a brilliant idea and would keep sellers on their toes - at least the sensible ones!

I really used the wrong title for this post, it doesn't have to be buying sight unseen although that is fine too: it would be for all buyers and people who want to come view horses. Am thinking they pay a fee to use the site and for that they can also get advice on any aspect of horse buying here and in effect have someone on the ground they can rely on for help. That way people could come and have a mini break trying out horses and viewing youngsters, with a lot of the pain eliminated!

kassieg

Visit site
I would definitely be interested ! I think it sounds like a great idea!

I think there should be options along the way so if you want 2* or 5* vetted or not vetted, if you want to add x-rays etc
choice of transporters

I think a breeders section would be good, with a cataloge of "vetted" breeders as well as advertised horses.

I bought my filly unseen from ireland direct from the breeder who I found on facebook of all places ! she is fantastic & I was very lucky to find her. I bought her of pictures & 2 videos & she is exactly as described & is turning out nicer than I hoped :)

would definitely welcome & use something like this :)

Irish gal

Visit site
Thanks Kassieg and Catwithclaws - I will sign you up so as my first two members;) From the feedback and pms, I know that buying here is something that appeals to many people but there is also trepidation. Having accesss to a lot of good information on producers/breeders could eliminate much of that.

Luci07

Visit site
Perhaps if you show how the vendors are vetted prior to having access, so start with the core you know, advise them they can reference others into the programme. Also, have a think about the time taken to do this and what you want to get out of it. Friends of mine are setting up a new website which is due to launched in a couple of weeks. It has taken nearly 2 years to get to where it is now and the workload is unbelievable!

Irish gal

Visit site
I see what you're saying Lucio, that is massive consideration. A website needs to be very attractive and interactive, which I'm sure would be pretty expensive and as you say time consuming. A simple site would be more do-able but that won't be so appealing or easy on the eye.

Luci07

Visit site
It's things like the searches..putting in a very specific engine gets very very expensive. Lots to think about! Happy to put you in touch with my friends if you want to get an idea about the work involved? Their website is RidersLikeMe.

Pennythetank

Visit site
Sound like a very good idea 😊 how would you go about vetting the breeders and making sure their stock is as advertised though?
I'm sure Teagasc and Horse Sport Ireland would be interested, I know Teagasc in particular does a lot of work with breeders, running the young breeders training program etc. They could possibly help with funding or ideas on ways to vet the breeders etc?

Irish gal

Visit site
Thanks Penny, in terms of vetting the breeders, I would start with the ones I know have good reputations. I'm in touch with many as it is as I breed myself. Others could be nominated by breeders that I trust. Because of having a review system like ebay that should be a deterrent against bad practice on the sellers part - they get a bad review and they won't get another sale!

I would definitely love to get funding from somewhere, I have a feeling though that Horse Sport Ireland may feel they have already done their bit setting up the Irish Horse Gateway. Teagasc is a good idea and maybe you're right that HSI might offer support, will have to check it out.