Buying unbroken- price?

Horses24-7

Visit site
Hi all

How much would you pay for a nicely bred event type unbroken 3 year old?
Very straight mover, conformationally correct 16hh.

I understand its a how long is a piece if string question but I've been offered something and want to ensure I'm not being ripped off ;)

I've always bought cheap babies in the past to bring on.

Had a look on classified and there's some highly priced but others really reasonable? Confused!

Boxers

Visit site
We'll I paid £1k for an almost 3 yr old 2 yrs ago. He was bred for SJ or eventing. His mother was a good SJ mare and his father a racehorse from Northern Dancer lines. I was happy to pay that price for him.

Faberge

Visit site
Start by looking at the stud fee of the sire and the performance of the dam, then work out how much it has cost the breeder to get the horse to that age and you're in the ballpark of what I'd expect to pay (provided you count the poor old breeder's time as £0, which is usually the case). Then if the horse is really special, add a few thousand! That said, there are some serious bargains out there at the moment, but prices on decent stock are more or less holding up.

Last edited:

Horses24-7

Visit site
Thank you Christmassparkle! :)

I know it's a hard q but it does seem horses are relatively cheap at the moment. I haven't been in the buyers market for 7 years so out of sync!

Looking at some youngsters some seen identical but the prices can be so different- does make me wonder if you get what you pay for or if some people are being unrealistic?

Sparkles

Visit site
Go with your gut.

If it's what you want and suits your purpose exactly, then if you can afford it, then really, it's worth what you're willing to pay :)

Horses24-7

Visit site
Roulette sire, Oldenburg x Dam (can't remember names :rolleyes: but proven SJ record)

Went to see him yesterday and although rather gangly looking (and a tad underweight in my opinion) he had a lovely laid back temperament. He looked like he needed to grow into his head (if that makes sense!) and double in weight/muscle. I'm thinking a summer of good grass could do the trick?

Horses24-7

Visit site
I meant dressage breeding in first post, been looking through so many my heads gone to mush :S

He was graded as a foal with a premium first also, I'm assuming that will add to his value?