Buying woes

onemoretime

Visit site
After losing my horse last year, I felt ready to dive back in to the minefield that is buying a horse. At least I thought! Getting really disillusioned by the dishonesty of some sellers.

Found a lovely mare which ticked all the boxes, lovely breeding, temperament, out doing the job I wanted. Spoke to the owner on the phone and all seemed great. I noticed on one of the photos, it seemed like her foot was turned out. I asked the owner and she said no she doesn't, it's just the way she's stood in that photo. I know it doesn't bother some people, but having problems with my last horse's feet I'm more cautious (also she wasn't cheap!)

I asked for some trotting up videos to see her moving, which I had to push for and ask a few times. Was baffled when I received them to see a VERY significant rotation in that limb, with the foot sticking right out to the side with each step she took. The horse is 2 hours away and I would have been quite annoyed to make that journey and turn up to that. I said to the owner are you sure she doesn't have a foot out, it looks quite severe on that video? No answer! Why can't people be honest?

Have just seen her advert go up today with no mention of this (she wasn't officially advertised before). Also advertised as a year older than I was told 😕

Prices seem to have soared since we reached Spring, too. An average horse used to be £10k, now they're all £15k. It's a huge risk when people can't be honest!

glad you saved yourself a wasted journey. Dont know why people have to be so dishonest, it usually comes out in the end!

onemoretime

Visit site
It’s just a nightmare reading between the lines of every advert. And finding one with a full service history is a rareity. And then you get the ‘show quality’ or ‘stunning’ that quite frankly would struggle to cut the mustard at the bottom end of the show ring. Buying a youngster that can be moulded to your lifestyle and way of doing things is something I’m seriously considering.
Another quote "fantastic uphill movement" when you see the video its short choppy strides with loads of knee action and on the shoulders!

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It’s just a nightmare reading between the lines of every advert. And finding one with a full service history is a rareity. And then you get the ‘show quality’ or ‘stunning’ that quite frankly would struggle to cut the mustard at the bottom end of the show ring. Buying a youngster that can be moulded to your lifestyle and way of doing things is something I’m seriously considering.

This is what I've done almost every time. The one time that I didn't was when things backfired the most, I think.

I purchased my last young horse without seeing him in person. Just through video, pictures, and a vetting. That worked out quite well and he was a very good horse. Current one was purchased as a yearling. Just a visit in the field and vetting.

Before that someone told me they had a young TB (not raced) with nice movement that would suit me. Met him once, looked like a hat rack at the time but passed a basic vetting and then a more thorough one a few years later when I sold him. He was also a lovely horse.

The more established one was the WB and that one that was the biggest headache. I put a lot of effort into traveling, trying out, and buying that one. Even though he was vetted, he was a physical and mental mess at times.

So uh, I put in rather minimal effort and buy mostly "blank slates" but that's not for everyone. It's given me a decent success rate though.

NoodlesHalloween

Visit site
I was thinking of go for a young project horse, but I am seriously suffering imposter syndrome having only got back into horses last year and having had the 'my horse is an angel' chats only to discover to my own cost that they really are not that angelic or they are broken beyond compare. I have the opportunity to loan a lovely one with an instructor so I think this may be the contender financially its equating to my normal lessons and I would just like to finally have some sensible fun so maybe I will start window shopping again later in the year

dixie

Visit site
I put a wanted advert on Facebook last year and bought my current one through that. It took some time sifting through all the ones offered though, most which didn’t the criteria!
The one I bought hadn’t been advertised at the time I viewed him and I got lucky.

sollimum

Visit site
We sold my mum's super cob to a perfect home by responding to their wanted ad. We didn't even advertise him and honestly couldn't be more pleased that he found such a lovely family. So I would definitely try this when looking - you have nothing to lose.

sjdress

Visit site
I hated horse searching. Saw one mare, told it was lovely none Marish, friend at yard told me how it had kicked every groom there! Went to look at a couple of 7 yo. One Was covered in ringworm and had a massive cut and thick leg, which apparently they hadn’t noticed, another 7 yo from there napped and bronced so didn’t get on either, or go too close to the ringworm one! Had an interesting experience at a large Irish horse dealers which I would never repeat (!). I finally found my mare who I paid more than I think she was probably worth, we’ve had some feet troubles but now sorted and it’s been a learning curve as she was bigger and younger than I wanted but everything the dealer told me about her has been true and although green as grass she is safe and willing. It’s just going to take us a little longer to get established and get out and about but I think she will be worth it.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Trying to buy pre internet and mobile phones was also a nightmare. Adverts were all in a newspaper of some sort, or just word of mouth. The only way to find a dodgy dealer was word of mouth.

I went along with someone buying a horse, I would be about 11 at the time. Watching the horse being ridden I commented to the child son of the seller, that the horse was lame. His reply was that was why they were selling it. An adult would probably not have said that, or the child to an adult.

However gems could be found as ignorant owners could not seek answers on the internet. One such was a hunter I bought. He had been purchased clipped and hunting fit at the start of the season. Hunted all winter and being sold at the start of the next hunt season. Turns out the owner had kept him stabled and on hunting rations all summer and then wondered why he could not ride it to go hunting again. He was a very good horse, bought cheap and sold on eight weeks later for a good profit.

hock

Visit site
I hate having to advertise mine and touchwood the last lot I haven’t had to and they have the very bestest homes. I have one at the moment who is just coming home from backing and is exactly as I expected an absolute Saint. I have a buyer in mind for him but we just need to see if they fit, no squares into round holes for my horses. She doesn’t know but I’ve been told by the pro who’s backed him that he’s should be at least £15k and advertised at £20k. But the home would be superb and this horse is very willing and genuine so he can’t go to someone who would take advantage of him. So I would sell him to her for £12k having spent £2.5k having him backed and ridden away, owned since he was 2 months old. She will have access to my vet, saddler (fitted for his sadde before he went away), back lady, farrier etc etc.

So honest people are out there, I’m not alone. But .. don’t look at anything until you’ve seen static/dynamic/feet conformation movement videos. You’ve spoken on the phone and asked lots of questions etc. you’ve confirmed you’ll be allowed to vet and xray the horse and will want to talk to the vet etc. If all this isn’t available and open don’t go and view the horse. The persons telling you exactly who they are on first contact and vice versa.

dapple_grey

Visit site
Currently sulking as I'd found a lovely horse which ticked all my boxes, had the approval from experienced friends who agreed she looked great and most importantly was sound! Was meant to view her this afternoon and the owner has just told me they've just taken a deposit from someone who viewed a couple of weeks ago :( Really gutted, this whole process is proving to be pretty exhausting.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Currently sulking as I'd found a lovely horse which ticked all my boxes, had the approval from experienced friends who agreed she looked great and most importantly was sound! Was meant to view her this afternoon and the owner has just told me they've just taken a deposit from someone who viewed a couple of weeks ago :( Really gutted, this whole process is proving to be pretty exhausting.
Disappointing but always worth registering your interest incase of buyer pulling out/ vetting fail (on something you’re willing to accommodate). I’ve had a couple of good ones on second chance offers.