Buzzer on Leyland DAF

Abbeygale

Visit site
I wonder if anyone clever can help :)

I have an M reg Leyland DAF box - largely sound running and has been a little trooper for the last 7/8 years I've had it

A few weeks ago on the way home a buzzer came on, on the way home. Initially I thought it was the air buzzer - but the air gauges were up to their normal levels and foot brake and hand brake were both working normally

After much poking (dad is luckily a mechanic) it seems that there are 2 buzzers. The air one is going off after a few minutes from starting her up, as normal, and then a different toned buzzer is coming on. Now we are at a loss as to what this buzzer is warning about. Dad has checked the tacho, cab tilt, air lines - and everything seems to be in order. The lorry, when out doing test runs is driving the same as always, no loss of power, gets up to temp within normal time, but this bleddy buzzer keeps coming on intermittently.

Has anyone any bright ideas as to what it might be?? Hints and tips gratefully received, and rewarded with hot choccy and digestive biscuits :)

Thanks in advance :)

Copperpot

Visit site
I had this!! I have a N reg DAF. Thought the same it was the air buzzer. But this one was cos the lorry had overheated! I had let the water run out :( filled it back up when it had cooled a bit and buzzer had stopped!! No damage done thankfully.

Abbeygale

Visit site
Did you get a warning light as well when you over heated?

I had the buzze and temp light a couple of weeks ago - but I think that was the thermostat that had been dodgy for a while had finally given up the ghost.

It's so annoying as the lorry is such a star, but I'm reluctant to go anywhere in it with the ginger one until I know what the actual problem is just in case it really causes an issue with horse on board. Grrrrrrr ;)

spacefaer

Visit site
I'm not techinically minded at all so your dad can probably tell you that I'm talking rubbish but.....

The only time I've ever had another buzzer on my DAF was from over heating. If your engine temperature is normal, may be your temperature sensor is faulty and the fact that it is intermittent is due to corrosion in the cable or an erratic connection of some sort??

If I'm right, can I have galaxy hot chocolate? :)

Copperpot

Visit site
I had the ginger one on board when it happened! I can't remember as OH was driving and I was panicking. I will ask him when he gets in and let you know. Luckily it cooled and we weren't far from home. May be worth checking your water just in case.

Abbeygale

Visit site
I checked the water after the buzzer + temp light incident - water was full up, which kind of goes with the thinking that it was the thermostat that had given up. Thermostat has been replaced now but still getting buzzer

Dad has gone through and tried taking out each of the sensors to try and find which one is causing it - but to no success.

The noise those buzzers make is enough to make me poop my pants every time it comes on!!! Lol - as if I don't have enough to worry about with just taking the ginger one out, without buzzing too!!! Lol ;)

Abbeygale

Visit site
Oh and spacefaer - you can of course have anything you wish ;). Just some extra input is fab - dad seems to be getting to the "mechanics point" of going "well I don't know what's wrong with it - just use it....". It doesn't help my confidence in the lorry much.... ;)

Copperpot

Visit site
It is a loud buzzer isn't it!! Made me jump! Can't think what else it could be as you have checked all the things that I would. Sorry I can't be more help :( unless connection to thermostat is dodgy somewhere? But i guess your Dad would have found that :( I hate it when the lorry goes wrong!

Pidgeon

Visit site
Has it got air brakes? Our buzzer went on and wouldn't go off. Mechanics came and got it and there is a 4 way valve to the air brakes and it was this that had gone, hence the warning buzzer as it would have been dangerous to drive.

angelish

Visit site
My m reg daff also does this

I've taken to whacking the right hand side of the dash where the heater switches are and that stops the noise :eek:

I did think it was buzzing when the clutch fluid was low ( under little bonnet on the left , little pot) as it did seem to do it more when it was low but its started doing it again now and it has fluid in it

Worth checking the clutch fluid any way , will watch with interest as it is a horrible noise when it starts :(

Abbeygale

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys :). You're a lovely bunch aren't you ;) :D

We don't think it's the cab tilt - as if the cab is actually tilted it doesn't come on then.

Clutch fluid is all topped up - the clutch was the start of the problems but has now been resolved - thank the lord for dads!!

Will get dad to check the air lines again - as he hasn't mentioned a 4 way valve to me, but that doesn't mean he hasn't looked at it

Angelish - I love the banging it idea!! Sounds like a good way to get rid of the dratted buzzer - but I know I'd still be fretting about what was wrong ;) lol

Thanks guys - I will be passing this all onto dad and hopefully we can sort it out really soon :)

Mike007

Visit site
I believe the cab tillt and temperature warning uses the same buzzer. The cab tilt micro switches do eventualy fall to pieces. Also does your cab still tilt or is it permanently built in.

Abbeygale

Visit site
Cab still tilts Mike. Dad had been through the sensors one at a time taking them out, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I will pass that snippet on though. I just my lorry back being well behaved!! ;)

Copperpot

Visit site
I haven't got a buzzer when I tilt the can either. I'm missing some buzzers somewhere :) oh the clutch started a lot of problems for me too Abbeygale. Thankfully all resolved now and passed MOT first time on Friday. Phew. Hope you get it all sorted x

Abbeygale

Visit site
Thx copperpot ;). And aaarrgggh - MOT isn't far off either! I'd forgotten about that lol. My secret weapon for passing MOT is making dad take it. When I take it to MOT it fails first time - dad takes it and it passes first time everytime he's gone ;). Lol

Mike007

Visit site
First check that all the warning bulbs down either side of the tacho all work. If it is the cab tilt or temperature warning or brake fluid level you should also get a bulb lit up. It may still be brakes there are a number of sensors feeding the brake buzzer and it often sounds different when a different sensor activates it. The guages being normal doesnt mean that all the tanks are full. (see pigeons post). It is probably a faulty sender unit but you do need to find out for sure.

meesha

Visit site
just asked OH (works at truck rental yard) - buzzer should be associated with a light on the dash. He thinks it could be that truck is not holding air pressure in the tanks which supply the air brakes but there would normally be a red iight on the dash to go along with the buzzer.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Brakes worked but scrapped our trip and got mechanics out. App one of the brakes could have failed due to uneven air split which would have resulted in brake going on whilst driving if I remember correctly!