By the Book

mickey

Visit site
OK - Admit, how mush do you do things with horses by the book?

For example, do you always feed ad lib forage?
Do you always get on using a mounting block?
Do you clean your tack properly on a regular basis?
Do you make sure your horse's teeth, back, saddle are checked regularly?
Do you vaccinate to the book?
Do you warm-up and warm-down properly?
Do you make sure your horse is not too fat?
Do you rug according to the weather?

The list goes on and on and on.

I have to say, I like to think I do most things fairly strictly. I do clean my tack regularly, and properly, I do use back person, saddler and dentist on appropriate basis. I do ensure ad-lib forage when stabled. I can get the rugging wrong sometimes. I always use a mounting block and I always wear a hat and body protector.

Nailed

Visit site
For example, do you always feed ad lib forage? yes (thin tb)
Do you always get on using a mounting block? yes again.. thin tb
Do you clean your tack properly on a regular basis? bridle yes..
Do you make sure your horse's teeth, back, saddle are checked regularly? not back and saddle but always teeth
Do you vaccinate to the book? yu[
Do you warm-up and warm-down properly? yup
Do you make sure your horse is not too fat? lol.. yes
Do you rug according to the weather? yes.. usually year round

I also have a worming routine.

Lou x

mickey

Visit site
I am sure there are loads of other things and I am probably guilty of at least some of them, but I couldn't remember them all. (Well, that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!!!)
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Why does thin TB affect using a mounting block out of interest? I thought without one it twists the tree of the saddle and can make areas of the horse's back painful?
confused.gif

LeneHorse

Visit site
For example, do you always feed ad lib forage? <font color="blue"> </font> she gets enough to maintain her weight. Ad lib for her would = weight gain I'm afraid
Do you always get on using a mounting block? <font color="blue"> </font> yes, too old and stiff to do otherwise!
Do you clean your tack properly on a regular basis? <font color="blue"> </font> used to but have become very lazy recently
Do you make sure your horse's teeth, back, saddle are checked regularly? <font color="blue"> </font> absolutely
Do you vaccinate to the book? <font color="blue"> </font> I was a day late 2 years ago. This means I can't compete in BRC area comps ( not that I've a hope in hell of doing that anyway!)
Do you warm-up and warm-down properly? <font color="blue"> </font> try to, lots of stretching.
Do you make sure your horse is not too fat? <font color="blue"> </font> it is a constant battle. She is a very good do-er,
<font color="blue"> </font> she does not get clipped so only gets a m/w rug on during the winter and goes naked in summer, even during the current monsoon!
<font color="blue"> </font> and yes I always wear a hat, but must confess I do not posess a back protector.

TGM

Visit site
I always say you should know how to do things by the book, and the reasons why you should do them by the book, then you are entitled to do things NOT by the book if you think it suits your individual horse and circumstances!

As to your questions:

For example, do you always feed ad lib forage? - mostly, but sometimes i have to restrict fatties

Do you always get on using a mounting block? - Almost always, unless for some reason I have to get off and remount on a hack.

Do you clean your tack properly on a regular basis? - Just cleaned enough to ensure comfort for the horse - thorough cleaning only for shows and special events!

Do you make sure your horse's teeth, back, saddle are checked regularly? Depends!

Do you vaccinate to the book? Some I do, some I don't. All have tet.

Do you warm-up and warm-down properly? Yes

Do you make sure your horse is not too fat? Yes, yes, yes. As a farrier's wife I speak to too many people whose horses have had laminitis because they want them looking 'well'.
crazy.gif

Do you rug according to the weather? Yes, but according to the individual as well.

Silverspring

Visit site
For example, do you always feed ad lib forage? Yes Arab and she never finsihed it
frown.gif

Do you always get on using a mounting block? Yes she's an Arab and refuses to stand still (pet hate of mine!)
Do you clean your tack properly on a regular basis? How regular is regular, maybe once a month...
Do you make sure your horse's teeth, back, saddle are checked regularly? Yip, couldn't stand it if I found otu she was in pain
Do you vaccinate to the book? I thought this was the only way to vaccinate, surely if you're late you haev to start again?
Do you warm-up and warm-down properly? Walk out on a hack and walk back, that's our warm up and warm down
smile.gif

Do you make sure your horse is not too fat? Again Arab she doesn't do fat, she like the Kate Moss look
Do you rug according to the weather? I pretty much rug year round, she's old it's Scotland we barely see the sun. However if the sun does show face YO knows to get rug off when possible!

FinellaGlen

Visit site
I do (or my YO does for me in some instances) all the above, with the exception of using a mounting block. There isn't one in the school but sometimes I drag a chair over and get on via that. Nelly is only 13.3 hh so it is too easy to get on from the ground. I've always used a mounting block with my others who ranged from 14.3 to 16.3 hh.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For example, do you always feed ad lib forage?

[/ QUOTE ] No depends on the horse
[ QUOTE ]
Do you always get on using a mounting block??

[/ QUOTE ] Yes
[ QUOTE ]
Do you clean your tack properly on a regular basis?

[/ QUOTE ] I'm taking the fifth
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Do you make sure your horse's teeth, back, saddle are checked regularly?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes
[ QUOTE ]
Do you vaccinate to the book??

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, with this horse
[ QUOTE ]
Do you warm-up and warm-down properly?

[/ QUOTE ] I hope so
[ QUOTE ]
Do you make sure your horse is not too fat?

[/ QUOTE ] He had 5 weeks off in the spring - what do you think?
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yes