Bye Little Man

mytwofriends

Visit site
My little horse finally succumbed to his catalogue of back luck yesterday.

He endured a sizeable stress fracture to his radius in 2011 and dealt with four months of box rest, three of those months being on cross ties. He came back big and strong like nothing had ever happened.

He tore his DDFT in his right fore twice, dealt with two more stints of box rest totalling about eight months. He was turned away and semi retired, but the vet saw him and was amazed at his progress and cleared me to ride him gently, gradually building up but keeping a close eye. He got stronger and stronger and was going great guns.

Until Easter Monday when he was found three legged in the field. This time his right hind.

We found two tiny puncture wounds. Two weeks later he was gone. The vets don't know 100% that it was an adder, but a neighbour overlooking his field said she'd seen one on her driveway.

Scans showed his tendon had deteriorated to the point where he'd have to have endured at least six months' more box rest with a 50/50 chance of becoming paddock sound. No way would I put my brave little warrior through that, not at 18.

We said goodbye.

I'm sure going to miss him.

Thank you for reading. It's helped to offload with fellow horse lovers.

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
So very sorry - you clearly did everything you could for him through his various issues. He was a lucky boy xx

fatpiggy

Visit site
What a shame. Sometimes I think some souls just aren't meant to be. Give yourself a hug for standing by him through his problems and another for standing by him at the end.

eggs

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. It certainly sounds as though you did the best for him throughout all his troubles. Some horses do just seem to have to see the vet far more often than others (I've got both sorts at home) however safe you try to keep them.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Again, thank you. Just finished at the yard and his old chum, my 25 year old Gelderlander, definitely knows something's not right.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My little horse finally succumbed to his catalogue of back luck yesterday.

He endured a sizeable stress fracture to his radius in 2011 and dealt with four months of box rest, three of those months being on cross ties. He came back big and strong like nothing had ever happened.

He tore his DDFT in his right fore twice, dealt with two more stints of box rest totalling about eight months. He was turned away and semi retired, but the vet saw him and was amazed at his progress and cleared me to ride him gently, gradually building up but keeping a close eye. He got stronger and stronger and was going great guns.

Until Easter Monday when he was found three legged in the field. This time his right hind.

We found two tiny puncture wounds. Two weeks later he was gone. The vets don't know 100% that it was an adder, but a neighbour overlooking his field said she'd seen one on her driveway.

Scans showed his tendon had deteriorated to the point where he'd have to have endured at least six months' more box rest with a 50/50 chance of becoming paddock sound. No way would I put my brave little warrior through that, not at 18.

We said goodbye.

I'm sure going to miss him.

Thank you for reading. It's helped to offload with fellow horse lovers.

so sorry rip little man sleep well

kamili

Visit site
So Sorry, RIP little warrior. You've done so much for him, i'm sure he appreciated every second of it.
Massive hugs.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I was stronger yesterday strangely. I guess I was working on adrenalin. Today is pretty hard, so I really appreciate the kind words from you all. Thank you.

Shavings

Visit site
such a brave strong pony to go through all of that, i cant even begin to understand the lose you must e feeling, but he was very loved by you and he will always be thankful for every thing you did for him.

big hugs xx

mytwofriends

Visit site
I have to say, you HHO folk are awesome. I've posted on people's sad threads before when they've lost a horse, and I will continue to do so because believe me, it's a source of great comfort.