C1 License

ponynutz

Visit site
What's required and how do you go about getting one?
Recent conversation prompted the interest as thinking about getting license out of the way while I'm young and still at home.

Assuming I'm correct that C1 is for a 7.5t?

Melody Grey

Visit site
I did mine in an intensive three day course with a HGV driving company here in leicester (happy to recommend if you’re local!). It was two days of driving, reverse test on day 2 and road test on day 3.

Not cheap and I did have previous experience but a good experience overall.

ETA: you mention being young- check out what the age requirement/ car license holding period is? I’m old enough for it to not matter- only narrowly missed grandfather rights!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Go for your HGV, its the same price just about and you have the option for a bigger payload.
I considered this too but it was a good chunk more expensive with the company I used and there was quite a long wait for hgv training and tests whereas the vehicle for the C1 was more easily available. I figured I’d never need to drive anything bigger anyway.

ponynutz

Visit site
I did mine in an intensive three day course with a HGV driving company here in leicester (happy to recommend if you’re local!). It was two days of driving, reverse test on day 2 and road test on day 3.

Not cheap and I did have previous experience but a good experience overall.

ETA: you mention being young- check out what the age requirement/ car license holding period is? I’m old enough for it to not matter- only narrowly missed grandfather rights!
See, I have no experience and no way to get some really so imagine it would cost me even more than it did you. Unfortunately Leciester is quite a way away but thank you! Would you be happy to either PM me the cost or post on here? Ballpark is fine!

Minimum age is 18 and I'm almost 21 so all good there :)
Interestingly I do have semi-grandad rights because I got my license in COVID times so can drive a 3.5t.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I did my C1 last may.
I used a local company who organised absolutely everything for me, cost £1200 in total.
They sent me the paper work, and booked my medical for me. I then sent if the paper work and got my provisional licence. They then booked my theory test, and sent me all the training material so I could prepare.
Then once I'd passed that, I did a four day intensive driving course. 3.5hrs driving each day, with reversing test on day 2. And the test was on day 4 as part of the 3.5hrs.
They also ran the CPC course if I wanted to do it.

Only 'negative' (and it really wasn't one) was that all my driving was in a 5.5t long wheel base van, which was smaller then my 6.5t horsebox, so not overly helpful on getting to drive something bigger. But not actually an issue.

I am south central if that's anywhere near you and you want a recommendation

Melody Grey

Visit site
I did my C1 last may.
I used a local company who organised absolutely everything for me, cost £1200 in total.
They sent me the paper work, and booked my medical for me. I then sent if the paper work and got my provisional licence. They then booked my theory test, and sent me all the training material so I could prepare.
Then once I'd passed that, I did a four day intensive driving course. 3.5hrs driving each day, with reversing test on day 2. And the test was on day 4 as part of the 3.5hrs.
They also ran the CPC course if I wanted to do it.

Only 'negative' (and it really wasn't one) was that all my driving was in a 5.5t long wheel base van, which was smaller then my 6.5t horsebox, so not overly helpful on getting to drive something bigger. But not actually an issue.

I am south central if that's anywhere near you and you want a recommendation
Pretty similar experience and price here, but I did longer driving days but only 3 of them.

I was in a 4.5t long wheelbase van (think ambulance kind of size). Not as big as my 7.5t but a bit less vehicle to think about for the test. I had 7.5t driving experience anyway so the size difference didn’t bother me.

Melody Grey

Visit site
See, I have no experience and no way to get some really so imagine it would cost me even more than it did you. Unfortunately Leciester is quite a way away but thank you! Would you be happy to either PM me the cost or post on here? Ballpark is fine!

Interestingly I do have semi-grandad rights because I got my license in COVID times so can drive a 3.5t.
Shop around with prices- if you can spare the time, it might be worth going elsewhere and staying over if there’s a significant price difference? Remaining local might be good though if you feel happier with already knowing the roads? Didn’t bother me, but I’m used to having to explore and deal with new places.

Barlow

Visit site
I did mine last October - found a local company that used the same chassis as my horsebox (yes I’d already bought it!!) started on the Monday, reversing test on Tuesday, more driving on Wednesday but only did an hour as instructor said I was ready, then Thursday I passed with no faults ☺️ cost me £1000. They offered a package with medical and theory all organised and would definitely recommend you go that route as for me it took a lot of the stress out of it

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com

With your age most people I know have got their HGV through a government scheme

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I used Tilston training in Wrexham.

They sent me an online training package for the theory and hazard test and told me to study for a month. They then called to check how I was getting on and booked my theory test.

Then I had one day of training which was a driving lesson in the morning and completing the reversing test on their yard which is approved as a test centre. Then we went for a short drive followed by a quick lunch break and a review of videos of my morning drive and what I needed to change.

Then another driving lesson followed by a review of the video after.

I returned about a week later for a 90min lesson, a video review and then the examiner arrived and we went off to do the test.

Tilston have a very high pass rate. You will be driving a 4.5t large van (like an ambulance).

I didn't want the pressure of doing the full HGV, I just wanted to drive a 7.5t rigid because the payload and price were better than a 3.5t

Patterdale

Visit site
I booked the C1 course then on the day asked if I could do the lorry one instead. He said I could set off in the lorry and if I was hopeless, back to the van. If I could do it, he’d let me try the class 2 (rigid up to 32t) in the 3 days. Said 3 days definitely too short for artic (class 1) though.
I did manage to do it and really glad I did. It was a bit more expensive but not loads, and free to drive whatever now!

I’d definitely try class 2 if you can.

superpony

Visit site
I did my C1.. I organised my own theory and medical. It probably cost me about £500 all in but I didn't really have any lessons. Had an assessment lesson and they said I would be fine and just to have a couple of hours driving before the test. I was only driving a 4.5t van and actually preferred this rather than having 3 days of lessons etc.

My husband did his full HGV. Again I organised theory/medical and he just had a few hours of lessons. Probably 1 and half days in total but he had been driving my 7.5T lorry with me sat next to him and he has driven lots of vehicles over the years.

I preferred this option to a set number of days for everyone as I feel it depends on your previous driving experience/skills etc.

Last edited:

ponynutz

Visit site
Shop around with prices- if you can spare the time, it might be worth going elsewhere and staying over if there’s a significant price difference? Remaining local might be good though if you feel happier with already knowing the roads? Didn’t bother me, but I’m used to having to explore and deal with new places.
Currently at uni so actually do have two places where I know the roads really well luckily - definitely will have a shop around :)

ponynutz

Visit site
Where abouts are you maybe we can recommend some companies.

My sister did hers, right up to her class one and now has driven artics for the last 7 years. Quite a few othet friends have done their HGV with this company to, CTT in Buckinghamshire.
Either Yorkshire or Lancashire - thank you!

ponynutz

Visit site
I did this. I can now drive up to 32 tonnes!
This is honestly sounding like the best option. Little more expensive than I previously thought so will have to save up and honestly if I'm having to save anyway I don't see why I wouldn't give myself the chance to have some wiggle room.

Not sure I'd ever want to drive 32 tonnes though although would be quite the boast to say I could if I wanted to 😂

Wishfilly

Visit site
I'm considering doing my C1 also- I'm a teacher and I'm hopeful that work might be willing to help towards the costs of a test as it would mean I could drive a full size minibus too.

What's involved in the reversing test? Embarrassingly, I find reverse parking and parallel parking a car quite difficult, I can't imagine I'd be any better in a van. It's one of the reasons I'd prefer to do my C1 over getting a trailer, because I think I'd really struggle with reversing a trailer!

I'd initially probably only want to drive a 3.5t uprated to take 2 horses anyway!

mavandkaz

Visit site
I am also a teacher, and had hoped work might help pay towards it but no. Yours might be more amenable.
For the reversing - you basically have to do an S bend. It's to simulate reversing into a loading bay.
So pull forward, then as you reverse a sharp left and sharp right to go back into the next loading bay over. It's fine, you will be told the hints on where to aim for.

Just also factor in that due to your job it will take quite a while to get through all the parts, due to not being able to take time off. I started the process around Feb time, but by the time I'd got the medical, got the license back and booked theory, then taken theory, it was just before Easter but the test centre was fully booked so had to wait til may.

superpony

Visit site
I am a teacher too.. but apparently the minibus licence is different anyway as it involves carrying passengers! This was a few years ago so it may have changed now but that was the case at the time as they hoped I could drive it without the training but it wasn't the case..

View

Visit site
I'm considering doing my C1 also- I'm a teacher and I'm hopeful that work might be willing to help towards the costs of a test as it would mean I could drive a full size minibus too.
No, you need a D1 to drive a minibus with more than 8 seats, so I don’t think your school will help you here.
I am a teacher too.. but apparently the minibus licence is different anyway as it involves carrying passengers! This was a few years ago so it may have changed now but that was the case at the time as they hoped I could drive it without the training but it wasn't the case..

If you passed your car test after 1st Jan 1997, you cannot drive a vehicle with more than 8 passenger seats.

Ceifer

Visit site
If you do your Cat C and have a manual car licence, look for a training centre that has auto trucks. Much much easier and if you get one that has a reversing camera even better!

Wishfilly

Visit site
No, you need a D1 to drive a minibus with more than 8 seats, so I don’t think your school will help you here.

If you passed your car test after 1st Jan 1997, you cannot drive a vehicle with more than 8 passenger seats.

I was told by work that it's the same licence, but on looking perhaps not. We're also told that we can drive 12 seater minibuses on a car licence - it would be very interesting to know if this isn't correct, as I've been asked to do this previously.

Being able to drive a large van would still be useful for work, but not as useful so definitely less likely they'd pay.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I am also a teacher, and had hoped work might help pay towards it but no. Yours might be more amenable.
For the reversing - you basically have to do an S bend. It's to simulate reversing into a loading bay.
So pull forward, then as you reverse a sharp left and sharp right to go back into the next loading bay over. It's fine, you will be told the hints on where to aim for.

Just also factor in that due to your job it will take quite a while to get through all the parts, due to not being able to take time off. I started the process around Feb time, but by the time I'd got the medical, got the license back and booked theory, then taken theory, it was just before Easter but the test centre was fully booked so had to wait til may.
It had been suggested they would, but seems like it may be different licenses so perhaps not! I don't mind if it takes a while to get it all sorted, as realistically I probably wouldn't have the time/energy to try and source a horsebox before the Summer anyway. My plan was to try and start the process around Easter and take it over the summer, but we will see!

If it was useful for work, they'd probably let me have a day off to do the test- but it seems like it might not be the same test.

They ideally need more people willing to drive minibusses at work, so are willing to be helpful from that PoV, but it seems like they are incorrect and it's different licenses.

Seeing the post after yours, I think my work might be incorrect about this.

View

Visit site
I was told by work that it's the same licence, but on looking perhaps not. We're also told that we can drive 12 seater minibuses on a car licence - it would be very interesting to know if this isn't correct, as I've been asked to do this previously.

Being able to drive a large van would still be useful for work, but not as useful so definitely less likely they'd pay.
When did you pass your car test?