cage rest and separation anxiety

Annette4

Visit site
Murphy is on strict bed rest for two weeks following a suspected spinal injury (no idea how he did it or when but all the signs of a bulged disk). We had made massive leaps with him and he rarely ever made a sound but with being forced into his crate except for toilet breaks we're back to square one :(

He is settling quicker than before. We can't leave him with toys as he destroys and eats them but he always has a Kong or bone. Anyone got any tips or experience?

WandaMare

Visit site
Don't have any useful suggestions I'm afraid, just wanted to say I feel for you. I've got my elderly collie cross on cage rest atm too, he has injured his shoulder. He squeaks when we leave him and it makes me feel terrible but he needs to rest so no choice.

I have put his cage by our patio doors so at least he can watch the birds and see us working outside which seems to help a little. We are also coming in to fuss him as often as we can but it is hard on them. Mine has relaxed a little over the last few days so I think they do settle to some extent once they get used to the routine...

All the best with Murphy, hope his back is better very soon :)

Annette4

Visit site
I'm thinking about putting the fabric crate up in the front room worrying about Tia trying to play with him. I always leave one dog with him and rotate them but he's a people Dog.

zippo

Visit site
We ended up,doing,'lead rest',no one could stand the noise and the caged antics were doing more damage.So with our vets' approval,she was put on a lead and taken from place to place with us,then tied to a suitable spot while we got on with the day.
That did the trick and after 6 weeks she was much better,fully recovered after 4 months and lived a happy,busy life for another 6 years,only being put down,last month at 13.