Calling all barehoof owners...

diamondrockharvey

Visit site
We pay £25 for a trim, although my mare doesn't get trimmed every cycle now, my farrier just looks to see if she needs it as she self trims with roadwork. He comes every 6 weeks anyway as we have one shod all round and on in a front pair. We only pay £40 for a front pair and trim behind for the cob and his feet are huge. I agree with Criso, it's not all about price it's about the quality of the trim/shoeing but I do think £50 is alot for a trim.

horselady

Visit site
What I would say is whether you are paying £15 or £50, farrier or trimmer, if your horse is sound and happily coping over all surfaces, I would be wary of changing. I've experienced first hand how much damage a knife happy farrier can do and saving £20 is a poor exchange for not being able to ride for weeks.
I know what you mean but my farrier trims the sole and I've been told that they should have a thick sole. I have been thinking about changing as the barehoof trimmer is meant to be really good and I don't really think the farrier I have would listen if I sort of said about trimming the sole. If I thought that the farrier was doing a better job than the lady I am switching to does I wouldn't switch. No foot no horse. But I have seen hooves she has done and they do look better.

JillA

Visit site
I know what you mean but my farrier trims the sole and I've been told that they should have a thick sole. I have been thinking about changing as the barehoof trimmer is meant to be really good and I don't really think the farrier I have would listen if I sort of said about trimming the sole. If I thought that the farrier was doing a better job than the lady I am switching to does I wouldn't switch. No foot no horse. But I have seen hooves she has done and they do look better.
Don't get me started on trimming soles - despite being asked several times not to my former farrier kept on doing it. Horse struggled to walk across the yard for the first couple of days. Now he has a trimmer and his soles are left well alone he copes 10x better than he ever has. Pete Ramey says he would like to invent a rasp that administered an electric shock to someone trimming if they touched the sole http://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html. It is the element which most supports the skeletal column, especially if the laminae are compromised and failing to properly connect the hoof capsule to the pedal bone. I learned the hard way and my horse was lucky to survive

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
they shouldn't have thick soles, who what where?? presuming we are talking live sole here? Probably alongside some theory of the sole being allowed to flex??
I'd be sacking that farrier off sharpest.

I told my own when I gave him a list of dont's that the pony would soon let us know if he messed up.

It did made me chuckle that he knows I visited after last trim (200 miles away currently) and when he came back he asked Mum what I had thought :D so he does obviously care. I would like to have a word with him about how high his rasp needs to go but ;) he doesn't touch frog (unles ratty) sole or bars (he was told touch bars even if they look doing under pain of death :p) I should point out this is the same farrier who when we took f barefoot suggested I get a trimmer as he didn't feel he knew enough about the concept ofbarefoot rehab so he's a good open minded chap really. We had some fab hoofy chat last time I saw him too :D

luckyoldme

Visit site
my old boy is £30 to trim .
i also have a percheron x cob mare, she had never seen the farrier with her previous owner and i bought her last year at 4. i got the farrier to have a look which took all of a few moments and the farrier did nt charge me anything. I think percheron is the way to go!

Greylegs

Visit site
I pay £25 for a trim. My farrier does 4 on the yard and shoes one at the same time so worth his while coming.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

In that case it sounds like you are ready to try someone else anyway. However I wouldn't worry about feet looking good with the trimmer but how the horses are coping and what they are capable of.