Calling all Cheval Liberte Trailer owners

Stushie

Visit site
I have recently bought a second hand Cheval Liberte Living trailer which I absolutely love and cannot believe how it goes and my nightmare traveller has quite literally turned normal!! Anyway to the point! I live in Scotland, it rains every day (or at least feels like it lol) and the trailer has this silly mesh curtain thing at the back above the ramp. I knew CL trailers have this roller curtain thing as standard but what I didn't realise was its mesh!!! My lovely trailer was absolutely drenched inside today with an actual pool of water settled at the front. As this trailer has living in it, some of the water had got into the living area as well!!

So my question is, can you get a waterproof version of this curtain? I've googled and searched and can't find a single thing on line.

TIA

flaxen

Visit site
The simple answer to that is a no. Ive tried and even spoke to cheval to see if i could have a set of top doors added but due to mine being fiber glass they wont hold. Mine is park with the front facing the wind and rain and i keep meaning to chuck a tarpaulin over the back and bungee it down as its out of use ( pony died in february ). Ive found parts for them really expensive so have used ifor parts ( brake shoes are same as ifor williams and ifors are almost half the cost, same as gas struts, mine needed 3 so got 3 ifor williams ones including covers and postage for cost of 2 cheval ones. ) Dont buy any parts from cheval if you can help it.

Stushie

Visit site
Thanks Flaxen - that's good to know re the parts. I'm in shock re the roller mesh thing!!! I can't believe they wouldn't have it in a waterproof material. Surely everyone (UK anyway) would need one!! I can't move mine as its parked against a fence and no where else to park it so can't have it facing a different way. I've raised it up at the front so when the rain gets in it will at least run out the back rather than settling at the front but that needs to be a temp thing. I wonder if a horse box builder or something similar could make one using the frame that there.

JulesRules

Visit site
My mesh curtain doesn't tend to let much water in, but as you are doing I leave mine raised at the front for any water to drain out.

I had to have the rear section of floor replaced as the previous owner left the mesh open all the time, but I've had no issues since (3 years)

Stushie

Visit site
I was thinking I would have to make something but ideally want to get the proper thing! But if you can get one as you say Reacher then I'll wait till Monday and phone some dealerships. There are'nt any in Scotland which is a pain but I got my full breach / breast bars delivered from a company called JSW Horseboxes who are CL stockists and there service was superb so hopefully they will help. There on holiday until Monday or else I would have contacted by now lol. Thanks for the info everyone.

Stushie

Visit site
Nightmare!! I can't get one. Phoned the CL dealership who advised Cheval don't supply them for the UK market! Gobsmacked!!

flaxen

Visit site
JSW are the nearest stockists to me and who i got quotes from and i found them extremily unhelpful! They couldnt even get me a new jockey door handle! I need new hinges on my jockey door and new elastic on my mesh curtain but am going to use some bungee cord and get hinges fitted from else where.

Reacher

Visit site
How annoying! I think the idea of a sailmaker might be the way forward.

A bit of a tangent but I decided to trade mine in for a bateson (not that the CL had done anything wrong) and was pleased by the trade in value

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I've just bought a Cheval and have the same issue (Live in the West of Scotland = very wet!). So I've decided to invest in a trailer cover but have discovered there aren't any cheapies for Cheval trailers.

So I have contacted a number of trailer cover factories and am in the process of getting quotes. Seems the only way to go at the moment!

sunnyone

Visit site
My OH drew out a template of the hole and then cut a faced piece of wood to fit.It rests on the ramp when that is closed and held in place with two pieces of baling string. Its not good enough for travel but keeps the rain out when parked up.
We buy new bungees for the mesh when passing good camping stores, though sometimes they can be found along with tools on the market.

Stushie

Visit site
Totalmadgeness - me too lol - I'm West of Scotland too so feel you pain. I bought mine a few weeks ago because I wanted a forward facing trailer with a decent living. I absolutely love this trailer - I just can't believe the difference in my horses behaviour whilst in it and when I leave her!! I had major problems with an Equi Trek and she was better with the Ifor Williams but this is just something else lol. But I cannot get my head round this idea of not being able to get a waterproof curtain thing!! It's just bizarre!!

Like a lot have mentioned, There are ways to make something or use a sail maker or similar which I will now look into but just wanted to see if anyone anywhere had sourced a vinyl curtain.

I have seen on the Norwegian CL Facebook site that they have them (and all their trailers seem to be covered in snow so I think I know why they need them lol) but not sure how to get in touch as I'm not fluent in Norwegian lol.

wildandwoolly

Visit site
Stushie - did you have any luck tracking down a waterproof curtain for your trailer?

I'm thinking of upgrading my IW 510 for a herringbone CL but the problem of water coming in through the curtain puts me off as I use my trailer to camp in when away with my pony. Otherwise they look fab trailers, saw them at YH Live.

Brightbay

Visit site
Stushie - did you have any luck tracking down a waterproof curtain for your trailer?

I'm thinking of upgrading my IW 510 for a herringbone CL but the problem of water coming in through the curtain puts me off as I use my trailer to camp in when away with my pony. Otherwise they look fab trailers, saw them at YH Live.

Having suffered the wet CL for nearly 8 years now (I'm also in the west of Scotland), this year I finally caved in and bought a cover. I can't believe I've survived without it! It is amazing, has stayed on through Storm Barney, and the inside of the trailer has stayed bone dry :)

It's a great wee trailer, lovely and light, but nice to tow and the horses like the stable ride. The cover has made it perfect :) It's one of these ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maypole-S...710592?hash=item5b16b0d140:g:ozkAAOSwMmBV7TBg

Pen

Visit site
Oh I've just got one of those Maypole covers for my Bateson and would also recommend. Wish I'd got one when my trailer was new. Putting the cover on is a 2 person job. I'm also in west of Scotland;)

Merlod

Visit site
Mine has the mesh, I dont find it too bad but I park it with the back facing the trees and I have a cheap caravan cover for the winter months :) keeps it cleans too being white!

wildandwoolly

Visit site
Great, thanks for your replies BrightBay, Pen and Meriod. The covers sound like a really good idea. Think I will go to the dealer this week and have a proper look at the trailer. Another option would be to have the barn doors at the back - not sure what pony would make of stepping up into the trailer though. Maybe we're just conditioned to having ramps in this country.

Brightbay

Visit site
Great, thanks for your replies BrightBay, Pen and Meriod. The covers sound like a really good idea. Think I will go to the dealer this week and have a proper look at the trailer. Another option would be to have the barn doors at the back - not sure what pony would make of stepping up into the trailer though. Maybe we're just conditioned to having ramps in this country.

Mine has the rear door that opens either as a ramp or as a barn door - up to three quarters height - with the mesh roller blind thing for the top.

The horses actually seem to like the step up option - I didn't think they would but sometimes it is really convenient, especially if the ground is uneven so that the ramp would rock slightly when they stepped on it.

Stushie

Visit site
Just seen the recent responses! I took the entire curtain off and it is currently with a company called Tony Beal in Glasgow who are going to make an exact replica of the curtain but in a heavy PVC type material which is waterproof. They have quoted me £50 ish and you can even choose your own colour 😀😀.

I pick it up this week hopefully so will let you know how it goes. If anyone then needs one you can contact the company and ask that they make another the same as mine as long as your trailer width is the same which I think they all are apart from the single boxes.

Happy to pass my details so you can get it made the same as my order if anyone wants to message me.

ilvpippa

Visit site
I have a trailer & mine doesn't let much water in. The trailer itself is amazing. Brought in with a brand new floor fitted & really love it. Horses travel great in it

sarahann1

Visit site
I have a trailer & mine doesn't let much water in. The trailer itself is amazing. Brought in with a brand new floor fitted & really love it. Horses travel great in it

Thanks, that's good to know :) I'm likely to end up camping in mine at camps so the more windproof/waterproof the better!