Calling all conformation experts!

madeperfectly007

Visit site
Please feel free to comment on my crew, find posts like this very interesting!

First my 10 year old coloured gelding

210511_10150584234040545_4574734_o.jpg

Second my 3 year old appy gelding

1175732_10153127004860545_1661948209_n.jpg

Third my 2 year old coloured gelding

10151743_10154036433800545_5259344200858556875_n.jpg

DD265

Visit site

I'm going to have a go with what I've picked up so far on this thread, please don't take offense as I really don't know much! :)

10 YO coloured - is his neck a little low set? Also it may be the angle of the photo and how he's stood but I'm not sure the development of his front end matches his bottom?

3 YO Appy - looks like he may be a little long in the back?

2 YO coloured - perhaps a little long in the pastern? Also he seems to have a lot more shoulder in front of his legs compared to the others if that makes sense?

I like them though particularly your 10 YO :)

Elvis

Visit site

The first I would say has fairly straight hocks, maybe sickle hocked too. I like the front end a lot. Although maybe behind at the knee? Would really like someone to confirm that, as I'm still unsure about behind/in front of the knee.

The second I like, but looks to have quite a developed under neck. I don't know if that's a conformational thing though?

The third has quite long front pasterns and upright feet. He also appears to have slightly inwardly curved front feet, I'm sure I've seen something about that on foot conformation threads. Again I'd like someone to confirm that?

Elvis

Visit site
This is Mr G.....be interested to see what you all think......I'm afraid I have rose tinted specs when it comes to his confo!

attachment.php

Ooh a really like this horse. Looks quite short through the back to me. And the hocks are a bit straight. But my kind of horse!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
MP007 - how does your 10yo hold the eyeliner to apply it every morning? :p :D

ETA - RE the 2yo hooves. Youngsters can have very odd looking hooves while they grow. If you think about it, the little foal hooves need to grow into adult size hooves so they can be wider at the top and smaller at the bottom.

Last edited:

biccie1

Visit site
Loving this thread, and I'm learning so much. It would be great to get some thoughts on my boy. I've got a couple of photos as none show all of him perfectly:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
They aren't the best photo's in the world (I'll try to get some better one's) but it would be interesting to see what people thought of my bay boy ...

windand rain

Visit site
Very smart but another one without much bone and small feet on a good body He is a little tied in below the knee in these photos and perhaps dare I say it a little plump Good deep girth with a shortish back he is quite long in the cannon bones too

biccie1

Visit site
Very smart but another one without much bone and small feet on a good body He is a little tied in below the knee in these photos and perhaps dare I say it a little plump Good deep girth with a shortish back he is quite long in the cannon bones too

winand rain - just checking whether this is in reply to mine, or to NPL's photos? "tied in below the knee" is not a phrase I've heard before, could you please explain what that means, and also the potential issues of it?

Daytona

Visit site
I've been told this mare has good conformation.

Do you agree..?? Ive no clue when it comes to confirmation .

Any critism welcome

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
winand rain - just checking whether this is in reply to mine, or to NPL's photos? "tied in below the knee" is not a phrase I've heard before, could you please explain what that means, and also the potential issues of it?

Sorry was referring to NPL's pony see the diagrams earlier in the thread it shows a lot of leg conformation deviations. tied in below the knee means narrower just below the kknee than further down the cannon bone. The good body on small feet almost applies to yours as well but it could be the photos

Daytona

Visit site
Daytona that is a lovely mare in beautiful condition congratulations

Awww thanks, she getting there not that long under saddle, as was a brood mare till 9 years old, been in proper work 7 months now so slowly building up. I took her to a showing show at weekend , the judges where very complimentary and we walked away with first prize and a qualification for some grand slam showing thing. Not going though as showing not my bag but just wanted to see how she would do. They told me her confirmation was very good, and so is her movement

I'm a very proud owner of her. She is a pleasure to deal with in every way.

biccie1

Visit site
Sorry was referring to NPL's pony see the diagrams earlier in the thread it shows a lot of leg conformation deviations. tied in below the knee means narrower just below the kknee than further down the cannon bone. The good body on small feet almost applies to yours as well but it could be the photos

Thanks for that. I must have missed the earlier diagrams - I'll go back through now the posts. I understand what you mean though.

The small feet on mine is a trick of the photos - he has enormous feet - they do look small in the photos though.

Any comments on mine?

The main things I notice is that he's fairly short backed (especially when you consider he's 16.2hh+). He's very long legged compared to the depth of girth but I think his legs joints are fairly in proportion to each other (not very technical I know). And although his legs look fairly fine boned he needs extra-full size boots, so I think they are deceptive as well.

Elvis

Visit site
Here's a couple of mine that I thought might be interesting to have a quick play with.

3 year old filly

geri_zps75321b04.jpg

16 year old mare

18July2009007.jpg

Ooh okay, you'll have to let me know what I've missed, or incorrectly identified after!

So the bay, who is lovely btw, slightly low set neck, and long-ish pasterns? She has very long legs, especially the hinds, but that's just an observation!

The grey looks to have good legs. Again slightly low set neck? and quite an upright shoulder? Marginally roached back? :/

pootleperkin

Visit site
Hi AA, he is warmblood - by Crackenthorpe Kartier, out of a Cracknthorpe mare. The stallion stamps his stock and they are pretty nice on the whole! He is shortish through the back, but not to his detriment. Pic taken at the SFAS qual last year. He has just been 'talent spotted' for the showing register pathway as a riding horse. Loving your bright bay horse as usual! :)

Pootleperkin, how is your lad bred ? very nice indeed.

Last edited:

Elvis

Visit site
Have a go with Phil! I think he's slightly tied in at the knee (amongst other things)

k9jm7n.jpg

28ilxr6.jpg

I think your boy has pretty good conformation. He looks a little downhill in the second photo but fine in the first. Cannon bones could be shorter? What have you identified in him?

windand rain

Visit site
Spring Feather another pair of horses in wonderful condition. The youngster will likely grow into the long legs but they are still a little long in the cannon bones off fore looks a little back at the knee but it is likely the photo against the white leg the grey is lovely could do with a bit more muscle on her bum but apart from that she is pretty nice all round tail in the way but hocks look fair if a little turned out but again could just be the photo without seeing them move it is hard to judge really

Lolo

Visit site
1535465_10201056326869890_631665868_n.jpg

Smokes, 15.2hh 8yo TB (sire: Sagamix)

I think he's quite an interesting one, as conformationally he looks very different when he's fit to when he's not. When Reg is 'let down' and a bit tucked up he still looks nicely put together, but Smokes looks like a different pony:

1475893_10152100891545631_1207430290_n.jpg

Smokes again, but exactly a year earlier than the above photo.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Ooh okay, you'll have to let me know what I've missed, or incorrectly identified after!

So the bay, who is lovely btw, slightly low set neck, and long-ish pasterns? She has very long legs, especially the hinds, but that's just an observation!

The grey looks to have good legs. Again slightly low set neck? and quite an upright shoulder? Marginally roached back? :/

Spring Feather another pair of horses in wonderful condition. The youngster will likely grow into the long legs but they are still a little long in the cannon bones off fore looks a little back at the knee but it is likely the photo against the white leg the grey is lovely could do with a bit more muscle on her bum but apart from that she is pretty nice all round tail in the way but hocks look fair if a little turned out but again could just be the photo without seeing them move it is hard to judge really
Pretty good ladies :smile3: Yes, the bay was a very interesting horse to watch growing up as when she was young she did have long pasterns, however as she's aged (she's now 7 years old) she really grew into her long legs nicely. This photo was taken a months or so back; it is in the depth of winter, so she's fluffy, heavily pregnant and obviously no longer in show condition, but you can see the change in her legs.
Pregnantmares2013097.jpg

The grey, again an interesting one (to me anyway). Yes the photo is probably slightly deceiving I'd say as this mare has wonderful leg structure. Elvis, very good! She was very badly injured many years ago (and has plenty of scars to show for it poor girl) and she ran into a lot of trouble before I bought her. The piccy I posted was of her just a few months after I bought her and started rebuilding her back to her former glory. Here's a piccy of her last summer; it shows nothing in particular, but I just like it as it really shows her how I see her. She's quite special to me. By the way, her name is Spring Feather :smile3:

DSC_6219E.jpg

windand rain

Visit site
Pretty good ladies :smile3: Yes, the bay was a very interesting horse to watch growing up as when she was young she did have long pasterns, however as she's aged (she's now 7 years old) she really grew into her long legs nicely. This photo was taken a months or so back; it is in the depth of winter, so she's fluffy, heavily pregnant and obviously no longer in show condition, but you can see the change in her legs.
Pregnantmares2013097.jpg

The grey, again an interesting one (to me anyway). Yes the photo is probably slightly deceiving I'd say as this mare has wonderful leg structure. Elvis, very good! She was very badly injured many years ago (and has plenty of scars to show for it poor girl) and she ran into a lot of trouble before I bought her. The piccy I posted was of her just a few months after I bought her and started rebuilding her back to her former glory. Here's a piccy of her last summer; it shows nothing in particular, but I just like it as it really shows her how I see her. She's quite special to me. By the way, her name is Spring Feather :smile3:

DSC_6219E.jpg
Is sh ea broodmare too she looks very well and is a really pretty mare

Elvis

Visit site
Ooh yes, she definitely grew into her legs! Aww lovely to hear about the grey, sounds like you've given her a wonderful life. :)

Ceriann

Visit site
Anyone like to have a go at mine please. She's 5 and I've had her 18 months - we are now coming good after a funny old year and I love her to bits. Nothing fazes her and she's the most honest and genuine horse. First pic is about 18 months ago and the other photos are today.

imagejpg1_zps0caf6b40.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imagejpg2_zps134f9f11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imagejpg4_zps1c3cd4a8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spring Feather

Visit site
Is sh ea broodmare too she looks very well and is a really pretty mare
Yes, she's actually my top producing TB broodmare who is breeding-approved for pretty much every German WB registry including Hanoverian Verband. Both she, and every one of her foals have won WB Championship titles. She is pregnant in that photo.
Ooh yes, she definitely grew into her legs! Aww lovely to hear about the grey, sounds like you've given her a wonderful life. :)
The grey is one of my foundation mares and what I've given her, she's well and truly returned 10-fold to me. I knew she was special when I first met her; even seriously injured, and in an emaciated condition. I'm so incredibly proud of her achievements, if you couldn't already tell :smile3: