Calling all gelding owners. . .

Luci07

Visit site
oh eek, I have just occasionally used sheath cleaner if I think it is a bit "high" when near that region or looked a litle bit dirty. I have never been told about the bean but read the article with great interest... I have a few reservations about trying to get said bean out though!!!

moses06

Visit site
Totally agree. So many owner do nothing about it because it's embrassing. As for the 'leave well alone unless there's a problem' - how would you know if there's a problem unless you check??!!:confused::rolleyes: A quick look isn't enough.

But a quick feel goes a long way - oh god, I can't believe I just said that!!! I pop a clean couple of fingers just inside the sheath now and again to feel for abnormal heat, crusts or goo (hope my OH doesn't read this!!) and a quick sniff will soon tell you if you are heading for a problem - but I never use any sheath cleaners etc - don't believe in them TBH, and also I spend far more time cleaning my little mares teats as she gets the most amazing amount of yuk stuck up in between them which irritates her!!!

pocket

Visit site
I clean Ralph's when he developes grease down a leg or smegma is visible. I use warm water and a small amount of hibi scrub (vet has used this also), sponge. He's fine with it, clean sheath until no more smegma comes away and then rinse with warm water again ;)

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Totally agree. So many owner do nothing about it because it's embrassing. As for the 'leave well alone unless there's a problem' - how would you know if there's a problem unless you check??!!:confused::rolleyes: A quick look isn't enough.

Agree with this, i cleaned my boys bits every so often, had i not, i wouldn't have noticed the little abnormal bits on it. It turned out to be squaumus cell carcenoma (cancer). I picked it up really early and it was able to be treated successfully. Had i not checked, then things might have been quite different! I have to clean it more often now because he had it. He actually holds his leg up for me to get in about it.

Toast

Visit site
dear oh dear oh dear... i think harvey would be most horrified if i went anywhere near his willy! He's only 20 months old though so not really any build up as such.. i dont look forward to this bean removal business :(
x

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Mostly leave well alone. I have never had any problems with any of my geldings. (Yes I do check them) but would def not touch them with chemicals.

@ Naturally. Mostly I agree with what you have said. HOWEVER there are the exceptions to every rule and I would defy anyone to try to desensitise one of my dartmoors in "that area". It just aint gonna happen! :D I just thank my lucky stars EVERY DAY that that one has never been sick or sorry!

lochpearl

Visit site
Thats what i thought but was told i should be doing t and got a bit worried :-S

Glad most of you dont and will bear in mind the baby oil ;)

:)

Firstly can I say that in the wild they would be stallions so would be covering mares - thus cleaning it that way.

Secondly, please do not use oil based lubricants, baby oil or sheath cleaners, they can seriously mess with the bacteria in the sheath causing nasty infections and worse. I tend to leave well alone unless there is a problem, as one of mine has been on box rest for months I noticed that the sheath was massive and he was finding it hard to drop his willy down, the vet was out and had a feel and said that it needed cleaning but there was no infection, it was just fluid build up from standing in and a dirty sheath. they instructed me to get a tube of KY jelly, and basically cake the inside of the sheath as far as I could reach up. Leave for 24 hours and then wash it out with warm water. It was perfect in one go and the vets checked it a week later and were more than happy with it.

It does make a bit of a mess when it drips out, so if it is greasy it might end up on the insides of the legs but that is easily shampoo'd off.

CeeBee

Visit site
My Harvey is very welcoming! He loves having his cleaned and pops it out at the drop of a hat in the hope I might give him a wash! It's out for the farrier, dentist, vet, well anyone who comes near him really! I think he gets it dirty on purpose - he's a right perv!

Billsmam

Visit site
I tend to leave my boys alone unless he has it out which isnt often then i will unashamedly pick at it and give it a quick wipe if he will keep it out long enough, he tends to keep quite clean and has never had smeg down his legs

itsmyparty

Visit site
Naughty Grey Boy gets his done when he gets uncomfortable (swishing tail between legs, black gunk down the inside of legs and on tummy hair etc). This turns out to be about every 3 months. He loves it now (gets dreamy smile on his face) although he didn't like it at all at first. Usually use a small piece of sponge and warm water, although I have used sheath cleaner in the past. Big Ginger Boy doesn't have his done as he doesn't need it. I wouldn't bother if your boy is clean (creamy white stuff is OK but the black stuff can be dodgy, according to my vet).