Calling all yard owners and business owners

RubyFrench

Visit site
I'm sure it is a dream of most of ours on here to own their own livery yard, I would like to do either that or run a cattery/kennels etc...

Just wandering how you went about becoming a business owner, did you buy/rent/mortgage? and how old where you when you achieved your dream?

Ali2

Visit site
Its not my dream - would not wnat to be doing with other owners! LOL.

I'd love to run a little market garden with a cake and coffee shop on the side and the boys at home :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've been professionally involved with horses for 38 years, have run livery yards, a stud farm, competition yards, training establishments, etc. on 3 continents (not all at the same time!). I was first "the boss" at 22. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't encourage anyone to get into livery - it's pure slavery and you will not make anything approaching a decent living unless you: a. Own the premises; b. Are prepared to work like a dog - and take dog's abuse with it; c. Are happy with never, ever having any time off.

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
I was 27 when I achieved my dream of running my own yard. I rent because if I could afford to buy land in Tuscany, I wouldn't have to work :p Good luck with the dream :)

ETA: mine is not a livery yard although I do take working liverys

Last edited:

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
Wow, you guys must have a really hard time of it :( I love my 'job' and wouldn't change anything, except perhaps having a bit more cash but I'm sure everybody thinks the same! I suppose people tend to be happier when they're on their jollies. Sounds like livery yard owner is NOT the way to go OP!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
How did I go about it?
I've worked hard in my previous career to earn enough money to buy a suitable property, whilst also riding, teaching and competing my own and horses for owners.
Then I bought a farm with my OH, converted some of the buildings for horse use and opened a yard :)
I'm 33, we have opened for business 3.5 years ago.
We farm sheep and have 15 stable yard with part, full and schooling liveries as well as my own horses.
It is hard work and I don't get to go on holidays, looking after horses is easy in comparison with dealing with owners, we make some money, but not enough for my OH to retire from his day job. We have a massive mortgage, too :)

Shantara

Visit site
I've been professionally involved with horses for 38 years, have run livery yards, a stud farm, competition yards, training establishments, etc. on 3 continents (not all at the same time!). I was first "the boss" at 22. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't encourage anyone to get into livery - it's pure slavery and you will not make anything approaching a decent living unless you: a. Own the premises; b. Are prepared to work like a dog - and take dog's abuse with it; c. Are happy with never, ever having any time off.

I've never been a YO myself, but I know my YO well.
She had a chat with me not long ago and even though owning a yard is a dream of mine, I couldn't do it.

A rough estimate of her basic day is:
Up at 5am, do milk round (it's a dairy too, btw)
Back at 7-ish to get 2 kids ready for school and 1 for college
8am start mucking out horses and if she's lucky, she'll get me or a few other girls rolling up at 8:30
Hack out or lesson at 9am
Breakfast
Housework and other chores at 11am
Sleep for an hour or so
Wake up at about 3pm to pick kids up from school
3:30 muck out horses again (again, possibly with help) and yard chores
4pm lesson or hack
5:30 tidy up yard, then go in to make dinner
FINALLY she can relax for a little while.

And that is a weekday. Weekends are much worse.
However, she does get a big "Thank you!!" when we leave the yard. So not entirely thankless :) We sometimes buy her chocolates and I often draw her horses as a little thank you :)

I'm sure, if you REALLY want to do it, you'll love it! I know my YO does have a great day sometimes, but I also know she feels like packing it all in sometimes too.