Calling Appy Experts!

Beausmate

Visit site
My big, daft Appy x rhino mare has undergone a dramatic markings change. If they are going to varnish out, what age range does this usually start at and how quickly does it happen? She has considerably more white on her head and more white spots on her shoulders and gullet than she did in her winter coat.

She is a funny-looking animal at the best of times, but now she has chocolate brown ears, on an ever lightening off-white head and it is weird!

Do they go dark again? Or is the 'accident-with-a-bucket-of-paint' look permanent?

I like her odd, sort of chocolate/pewter browny colour. I don't want a grubby-looking pinkish white rhino in my field!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Waiting replies with interest. My three year old has more, bigger spots coming through and varnishing which was grey and I thought would grey out is turning rusty with the summer coat.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I bought a pure bred Appy when she was aged 8, she was solid chesnut at the time, with a tiny bit of roaning on her neck. By the time we lost her, aged 22, she was roan with a big white face patch and had some darker spots and varnish marks. The unregistered mare before her changed colour all the time and did get paler as she got older, she did however always keep her two palamino spots :D

RamblingRosa

Visit site
Mine was a lovely dark colour with a white blanket when I got her as a yearling, she started roaning at 5ish and gets lighter every year. Her mum stayed the same colour all her life.

Leo Walker

Visit site
It can be a bit unpredicatable but if they have the varnish gene they will get progressively lighter except over bony areas like knees and hocks etc.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Ive had/bred a few appies and they do vary, Photo below is of Harley as a foal and as a 3 year old, he coloured out really fast, another we bred Moonshine born near leopard, his face has gone lighter with more spots, but goes lighter to darker (winter/summer) My mares brother was born dark Bay with a small frosted blanket and coloured out within a few years, they don't go dark again so you will probably end up with a muddy looking rhino. Im like you, I wanted Harley to stay as he was.

Harley
30167_446249950680_8084391_n.jpg

Moonshine
1918734_171469225680_2523508_n.jpg

23632696_10214158139165446_1244133671148954533_o.jpg

Last edited:

Beausmate

Visit site
This happened in one moult, from last year's winter to now. Varnish on the way?

normal_IMG_20170917_193955.jpg

normal_IMG_20180424_094057.jpg

Oh, and any guesses on dam's species/breed? :D

ycbm

Visit site
Just noticed this morning that mine is almost bare on his chest. His mottled skin is clearly visible through what little hair he has. Can't say I like it much!

Beausmate

Visit site
Mine was like that where I had clipped her, until about ten days ago. She was pretty much bare, except for a whole load of sparse, wiry hairs and tufty bits on the white spots. Very yuk! But now her summer coat is coming through, the baldy bits are rapidly disappearing, so your chap may well regain his hairy chest. Does he have a proper tail? I can't remember.

ycbm

Visit site
Mine was like that where I had clipped her, until about ten days ago. She was pretty much bare, except for a whole load of sparse, wiry hairs and tufty bits on the white spots. Very yuk! But now her summer coat is coming through, the baldy bits are rapidly disappearing, so your chap may well regain his hairy chest. Does he have a proper tail? I can't remember.

Thin but full length. And sparse mane too, it will never need pulling!

Anyone know why Appy's are short of hair?

Beausmate

Visit site
The fat tart has a normal tail, but her mane is like one of those old-fashioned dustpan and brush brushes. You know, the ones with the metal pan and the wooden-handled brush. I could probably plait it, if I was very patient...:D

No idea why they are threadbare. I think tart only has a proper tail and feather from whatever her dam was. Sire is a proper Appy, complete with wimpy, wispy tail.

If she must white out, what are the chances of her keeping her brown ears? I like them - they add to her daft expressions rather well :D.

She is looking like someone tried to paint a bridle on her, using a rattle can...

Visit site
My Appy was pretty solid coloured when I got him as a five year old. Now aged 18 he is almost unrecognisable to the horse I bought he has greyed out that much! He started changing colour at the age of 7 and has got lighter and lighter as the years have gone by. :)