Calling Dressage Tests - Help - Also in NL

Apalacia01

Visit site
Hi all,

I have been roped into calling tomorrow...am very nervous as have never done it before. It is just a basic walk/trot test for a Beginner's Combined Eventer Training here. So please, can I have some pointers/instructions? How long before move is executed etc?

Thanks!

Tanta

Visit site
Try to think how you would like it calling if it was you - so really you want to be reading the next movement when the rider has just started the previous one

and if they look confused, it is quite legal to repeat reading a movement

and personally I think sounding calm is calming to the horse and rider (even if you aren't):)

abbie29

Visit site
Shout! Don't worry about sounding daft - make sure you're heard and make sure you pronounce the letters very clearly. E and B sounds particularly similar! Its not that bad really!

dozzie

Visit site
Make sure you read through the test beforehand. Also as you read, keep you fingers on the part you have just read as it is easy to lose your place when watching the test. I usually read the next instruction when someone is just over halfway through the last one but it depends on how long each movement lasts.

If it is outside and windy, make sure you read with the wind coming from behind you as it will help to carry your voice. And shout!

It helps really if you have done dressage yourself. I would also say watch a few tests beforehand.