Calling out!!

Caritas

Visit site
I am interested in peoples views on horses that Whinny to there owners. All the horses I have after a while seem to call out (scream even) when they see me. I have sold horses after being this attached to me and yet they have never called to their new owners. Interesting, Well what causes this? I have my own views on the subject but would be interested in hearing yours.

_jetset_

Visit site
When I say 'good morning sweetheart' to Hannah in the morning, she whickers at me because she knows it is breakfast time! While I have been doing my friend's two horses they have whinnied at me while in the stable in the morning and in the field at night - Han would never do that!

rach1984horse

Visit site
Rosie knows what time I come up to check her. So is usually waiting at the gate. If I go up at an unusual time she knows the car and will come up to the gate or shout.

Always puts a smile on my face.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Mine whinnys to me coz I have treats in my pocket!!!! She also whinnys to my friend who does her when I'm working (for the same reason!!!).
grin.gif
grin.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
My old horse even knew the sound of my car engine as I drove past the farm to pull into the farm drive. Everyone who was there before me would say "Mandys here" as Margo would whinney like mad. When I changed my car it wasn't long before she knew that sound too. Same with other horses on the farm they always start to get restless and neigh and not 2 minutes afterwards their owner pulls up the drive and comes round the corner to feed them. More intelligence there than we know. I also used to keep my old mare (sadly no longer with us) on a farm from when I was 13 to being 17 so going back here 26 years. The farm track was long and dirt and when we got to the bridge we always used to gallop from there to just before the farm (as everyone did). I went back to the farm some 15 years later and Margo still started cantering on the stop as we got to the bridge anticipating the gallop and I let her do her own thing and she galloped from there to the place we slowed down at. She just knew.

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh, Margo sounds like an absolute sweetheart. I bet you miss her so much!

How old were you when you got her? I am sure I have seen a message saying you had her for ove 26 years.

_jetset_

Visit site
I seem to do that a lot...

But I do wish Hannah would call out to me in the field sometimes. I shout her and she looks up from grazsing, but that's it! Cupboard love I think!

sweet_decline

Visit site
Current horse seems to call to anyone if it's within an hour of feedtime. My old boy knew my car so was out at door neighing to me from then - other people on yard said he was grumpy - but he really did know who his mum was and was always a sweetheart with me. I hope he is the same for new owners...

Liz_Clark

Visit site
I wish!!

Cally only sometimes lifts her head when I go to check/ride/feed her!!

Not a people- horse at all - never has been.

Friend was asaying she was reading about these warmblood farms - I reckon that was Cally's upbringing, so she has no concept of people=good!!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have a gelding who is deafeningly noisy, but only if it's feed time or he thinks there's a chance of food, two mares who speak whatever time they see me, or if I speak to them, and one who rarely says anything to me, but is very friendly. Make of that what you will!

seaofdreams

Visit site
Lottie always calls me and i only have to walk to the gate and call her she comes galloping, she also knows my car and if she is by the fence she will try (no sorry she will!!) stick her head in after the mints!!
Mouse is a little quieter (and polite!!) she will call me in the morning but she watches me all the time you can see her thinking and wondering what im up to, Mouse doesn't show the effection that some horses do, she has been beaten at some point so she can be nervous espically of men (by boss can't get near her) but she really is getting there with me now which is nice and in the evening she will come to call