calm and condition - anything but?!

TarantuLove

Visit site
I have a barefoot, poor doer TB. I was recommended to put him on Calm & Condition as he can be spooky and fizzy, but he seems to not be himself on it? He's lost all his manners and is breaking through electric fences and everything, normally he is very sweet on the ground.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also can anyone else recommend an alternative winter feed for a poor doer, spooky TB?

Thanks!

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I have a barefoot, poor doer TB. I was recommended to put him on Calm & Condition as he can be spooky and fizzy, but he seems to not be himself on it? He's lost all his manners and is breaking through electric fences and everything, normally he is very sweet on the ground.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also can anyone else recommend an alternative winter feed for a poor doer, spooky TB?

Thanks!

I've read on here that a few people have had the same problem, although my pony didnt react to it at all and actually looked quite good on it. She loved it too. However I have had a better result with Spillers Slow Response Cubes which are slightly lower in calories.

Speedibeet would be an ideal replacement for Calm and Condition providing the same level of calories but with minimal starch and low sugar. C&C is 19% starch which could be having an effect on your horses temperment.

LucyPriory

Visit site
I'd avoid any of the bagged chaffs, there is too much anecdotal evidence of them causing problems for some horses, which has caused in some cases caused accidents.

Instead if you have a horse which needs extra condition try feeding Charnwood Micronised Linseed. I get it in from a feedshop which stocks Charnwood products and a 25kg sack works out at less than £1/kg. Bearing in mind you will only need to feed a very small amount (my hardworking 500kg horse has 200g) it works out to be very economical. It tastes good too (I've tried it) and doesn't make horses fizzy because it is only 3% sugar at most.

If you have to get it by post, it is more expensive, but still cheaper than the commercial bagged chaffs.

Vickijay

Visit site
I was feeding c&c to my tb mare, who although isnt spooky or silly is full of energy. She was getting a huge ammount and wasnt looking that good on it. She was starting to be a bit "looky" at things she wouldnt normally look at.
When I could see her ribs (just) I decided it was time to swap.

She has been on d&h build up nuts, with alpha a and sugar beet for about a week and is starting to look slightly better, the weight tape said she had put on about 10kg but she has had a quiet week work wise (as she works hard) so that helps.

Im another fan of linseed which I buy from simple systems. The other thing is too add oil, just normal vegetable oil. The vet said they can have 100ml per 100kg of weight daily so mine could have 500ml a day and its pure calories which can be on top of whatever feed your giving them. You have to build up quite slowly to get them to that ammount though

TarantuLove

Visit site
thanks guys :) 19% starch?! no wonder hes acting weird! i usually feed him 10% starch tops! :p

i have some alfabeet, might start bulking him up with that, and oil/linseed...

marmalade76

Visit site
I was feeding c&c to my tb mare, who although isnt spooky or silly is full of energy. She was getting a huge ammount and wasnt looking that good on it. She was starting to be a bit "looky" at things she wouldnt normally look at.
When I could see her ribs (just) I decided it was time to swap.

I had a simular experience - don't rate the stuff at all.

TarantuLove

Visit site
I found the same actually, he gets a really large portion each meal (not too much though, dont worry!) and he hasnt put any weight on at all....

JMSims2008

Visit site
I had my WBxTB on calm & condition, and had the same problems. Since changed him to top spec feed balancer, and he has put on lovely condition without the fizz....