"Calm" and condition

Cruiseonamiro

Visit site
Just interested to know how many people have had problems with this - and it's heating effect? Wondering whether it might be responsible for the change in my horse, and whether anyone has any suggestions re alternatives?

Elle1085

Visit site
i've never known it have a heating effect i don't think it has anything in it that could have that effect. I would still have my nutter of a horse on it but he stopped eating it for some reason

diggerbez

Visit site
my TB is fairly calm on this...he used to be on top line cubes when in full work but now on this....am worried that he'll lose weight if take him off this....

sallyellis

Visit site
I had to take my mare off of it, and another 2 liveries at the yard had to take their horses off of it, but I still use it on my other 2 with no adverse effect.

Walrus

Visit site
According to the website the starch level is 19% which is quite low for a higher calorie feed but if you feel it is hotting him up I think you could find one a bit lower.

The Spillers SLow Release cubes are a little lower in energy (11MJ/kg vs 12.5MJ/kg) but they have the same protein level for muscle building and thier starch level is 12%. The Winergy Equilibrium Condition feed has an energy of 12.4 MJ/kg and a starch level of 10% whilst their stud feed (the Growth one) if it got that bad has an energy level of 12.5MJ/kg and a starch level of 5%. Can't see starch levels on the Baileys and D&H websites.

I'm sure you've considered it but if the change is recent it's not in response to spring grass is it?

LizzieJ

Visit site
It sent my normally sane hunter completely nuts
shocked.gif
She was back to normal within days of coming off it. My slightly loopy tb was fine on it though.

teddyt

Visit site
There are several feeds with similar or higher energy levels with less starch. 19% is comparable to starch levels in a cool mix.

Topspec cool condition cubes are 12.5 mj/kg and 6% starch. Unmollassed sugar beet has a similar energy level and 0 starch, only 5% sugar. Coolstance copra meal is higher in energy (high oil) and i think about 5% starch. Other than that you will just have to ring all the feed helplines and ask for a feed with as low starch as possible.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
my tb is fine on it and she can't have any heating feeds or she is utterly bonkers, i wouldn't say it calms her down but it doesn't fizz her up and has helped her weight no end.

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
I asked a similar question about this some while ago and someone posted back that there was nothing calming about calm & condition (or words to that effect).

I decided then to put my mares on Topspec Cool Condition cubes. They are all looking well on it, one of my in foal mares had dropped a bit of condition and after 3 weeks on it, she looked fab again without the fizz. So I now have 3 mares on it.

nessie1288

Visit site
I think the Topspec cool condition cubes are great too. we have one who can be a nutcase but these keep her calm and she has put on weight.

RachelB

Visit site
My Welsh D went NUTS on Calm & Condition
crazy.gif
It didn't put any condition on her either as she spent the entire two weeks she was on it, stressing weight off!

diggerbez

Visit site
hmmm..will ring some feed companies methinks! need to keep my ned as sane as poss (i'm fine with any loopyness but sharer not so happy!!)
grin.gif
tongue.gif

SNORKEY

Visit site
I used this for a while and mine seemed to be ok, but still silly at times, i changed to Equilibria conditioning which promotes good behaviour and he really likes it.

fornema

Visit site
I had 3 of my horses on it for a year a few years back and there seemed to be no differnece whatsoever for them and my mare even seemed to lose condition :$

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I’ve used calm and condition before (not on mine now as we need the un-calmness we can get), and I have never found it to be heating.

Cruiseonamiro

Visit site
Thanks guys! When I talked to my feed stockist she said she would never recommend it - on the basis that so many people had so many varying effects, and it did send some mental. Also; you have to feed so much to have the proper effects. It says on the back my horse would need six dry scoops a day - this works out as three buckets full! It's just not worth it, so we switched to baileys top line condition cubes, and we'll just see how he goes. He's always been a bit tucked up behind.

sye777

Visit site
It contains maize! This may be the reason for your horse fizzing up on it!!
I have a 16. 1 TB who has thrived on the stuff he has the equivalent of 1.5 dry scoops per day mixed with water and chaff plus his riaflex, total eclipse and garlic divided into 3 huge feeds!! I use approx a bag a fortnight.
Seriously a different horse to a year ago and thankfully does not send him loopy but your not the first Ive heard of to suffer from this. Think its the A+P Ride and relax that is also excellent for condition but contains no dried maize and has lower starch!!
smile.gif

kellyeaton

Visit site
my girl went on c+c about two weeks ago and no change in temperment yet but saying that she is on alfa a oil and sugar beet and is very calm on this!

Zippydoodles

Visit site
I had my horse on it for 12 months as he looked like a toast rack when I got him. I wanted to feed him up without him becoming silly. he had 2 full scoops a day split into 2 feeds with chaff and he was fantastic on it. looked amazing and rode like a dream. Only took him off it as we moved somewhere with better pasture and didnt need any help with the condition anymore!!