Calm horse supplements do they work?

vikkibeth

Visit site
Was discussing with a friend about her horse who although is calm in and out of field/ stable/general leading he can become a bit fizzy and nappy when being ridden as she was trying to work out whether calm horse supplements really work and will they work in this incidence and if so which are the best types?

Let me know of your experiences so I can let her know :)

Balibee

Visit site
From experience I would always go for a calmer with L Tryptophan in. Equine America so kalm, Top Spec Calmer are 2 I know of. My lad isn't on a calmer any more but when he was they both worked.

LaurenM

Visit site
Global herbs was recommended to me. I'd say its worked with my gelding. My mare's on a calm & condition feed as well but she's just barking mad so can't comment how much difference its made with her!

jenni999

Visit site
I used Lincoln Valerian and it seemed to help. Can't be used in affiliated competition though - which tells me its good stuff !

Visit site
I have used SuperCalm which i think is by Global Herbs, on my gelding and was brilliant, i've used Steady Up by feedmark on my mare which was amazing and worked in 1 week and i have now got my gelding on Calm and condition by Alan and Page and he has mellowed out a lot. I would only use the Calm and condition if you want weight on them without the fizzyness though.

Splish & Masons mum

Visit site
My horse is the opposite to the horse you describe - fine to ride but can be a total stress head in the field, sometimes nobody can work out what has set him off, but I have him on chamomile flowers and it seems to just take the edge off him without him losing his ridden sparkle.
Beware of calmers with magnesium in, they only work if the horse is magnesium deficient, and seems to affect different horses in different ways. A friend put her boy on one and he was much better for a few days, then he went completely mental!

ceva

Visit site
Hi, I tried the syringes first as only needed them when going hunting put it was a faff as had to be done an hour before travelling and they wore off quite quickly, so swapped to topspec calmer and she was much better for travelling and for hunting and for general riding.I tended to reduce the dose quite a bit through the summer and upped it back during the winter when hunting, I have finished hunting for good with her now but still use a small amount in her feed although very much calmer altogether now so will probably stop using it and see how she goes. Hope that helps. I also use stroppy mare as she quite hormonal but that just herbs.