Calmer for very anxious, nervous horse?

Spyda

Visit site
I am looking after a horse who is very placid and kind by nature, but will get frightened easily and panic. Inevitably the cause of his fright will be something very inoccuous a person does (he's been abused in the past, which is why he is a naturally placid soul but takes fright easily). Poor sod will literally shake with fright, flinch away from any touch and becomes very twitchy for about an hour afterwards. Once he's has stressed himself, it's almost impossible to get any sense out of him until he's been left to unwind. Needless to say, nothing horrid has happened to him in our care, and he is treated with the atmost patience and respect, but his problems are long standing and deep seated.

Just wondered if there was anything recommended that might help this chap cope better with his man-made nervousness? I certainly don't expect miracles, but if this was a person I think their GP would have them on Prozac and Valium!

Happytohack

Visit site
I'd try him on ProKalm which is from Science Supplements. Website here They now do a handy trial size sachet, so it won't cost you the earth to give it a go. Have a read of the testamonials, it really does work.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Valerian, which is banned for competition horses, worked well for a mare we had who had a similar unhappy history. She actually turned out to have food intolerances which made her utterly loopy but was certainly better on valerian.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
The only calmers I have used is Global herbs Supercalm which was great and really does what it says on the tin, and for short term use I use good old Rescue Remedy. My mare is from a rescue - so before there hadn't had a good start. When I got her I put Rescue Remedy in her water for a week and on carrots or apples twice a day. I think it helps - certainly doesn't do any harm.

Good luck with him.
smile.gif

Spyda

Visit site
This poor sod has an old cigarette burn on his shoulder. It's left a nasty circular scar. Can you imagine anyone being so bloody evil?

samstar

Visit site
we found naf magic didn't touch our nervous boy so we tried him on Equine Americas magnitude and it has changed him significantly.
You'll just have to find the one that works for you.
smile.gif

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
Relax Me by Horsefirst !!

Ive tried everything on my mare and my gelding (both needed for different things) and its worked wonders x

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
Aconite & Kali phos homeopathy! Seriously! I have a very nervous exmoor who we think has been seriously abused in the past, you only have to cough and he freaks, but he's been on both of those for a few months now and they have made a big difference, The aconite is for fear and panic & kali phos for shy, nervous, timid behaviour. You can give as much or as little as you like (the come in little sugar pills from www.equushealth.org.uk, gives you stockist details) to you get the desired results and continue daily with them. I tried all sorts with Harry, but those two things have worked the best. I know have , though still nervous and weary, a pony that i can handle, brush, rug up, pick out feet and the farrier can even handle him now. Hope this helps
grin.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
By the sounds of things your going to need a type of supplement which helps settle the nerves, rather than just a magnesium based calmer, although it will help reduce excess energy levels but it won't prevent a horse from thinking differently about things.

Like someone else said your horse will benefit more with a supplement that contains valerian and Chamomile, Equimins do a tincture which includes both of these as well as Brookby Herbs.
I used the Equimins Serenity on my lad during the first flush of new grass when we rotated the fields and he was a total indiot (un rideable at times!) but the serenity really helped, I can't recommend it enough, but that was just purely down to changing fields, so I'd really would give the Equimins range a look at, its called Tranquillity Liquid Herbal tincture, if its a as good as the serenity then its worth a try!
smile.gif