Calmer help needed!

CynheidreFC

New User
Visit site
Hi guys, need some help with calmers!

Had my horse for almost a year now- nervous lad with things he's not really experienced and then doesn't act his age (supposed to be 10) but he's a purebred Welsh D with Nebo Black Magic in him so it's pretty normal for him haha! We've not long got a trailer and now want to begin getting him used to it ready to take him out. Loaded him last week to see what he thought of it- went on after a bit of persuasion, but getting him to stay on it without panicking was a different story- tried 3 times and by the last time he managed to eat a bucket of feed on it but his back legs were quivering- definitely not ready to by locked in and moved about.

So.. We are considering putting him on a calmer to help him get used to it and be happy doing it. When we first got him, after a few months of constant stressing, we put him on TopSpec for about 2 weeks, which did as it said- he stopped stressing and has settled ever since, but he turned into a nightmare horse when he was on it. He was that arrogant and full of himself that we then took him off it (had the lasting effect and kicked the cycle of stress), but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen? We thought as it worked based on magnesium deficiencies that perhaps that wasn't the issue hence now wanting to avoid putting him back on it. Has anyone any suggestions of calmers that don't work based on this deficiency but still has a similar effect on the stress? Or is this response to calmers normal?

I really don't want to travel him how he has been so far, I'd never forgive myself if he hurt himself because of making him do something for our benefit, so want to make it as much of a positive experience as possible!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay! :)

fathorse

Visit site
Equine America Super So Kalm Plus is the only calmer that apparently works on ANY horse regardless if it has a magnesium deficiency for not. Most calmers are magnesium based so will only work if your horse is magnesium deficient.

dianchi

Visit site
Equine America Super So Kalm Plus is the only calmer that apparently works on ANY horse regardless if it has a magnesium deficiency for not. Most calmers are magnesium based so will only work if your horse is magnesium deficient.

Interesting theory here- can I ask why that is as it is a magnesium based calmer??

The best calmer is Valerian- which is why its banned in competition, but as a proven calmer and as this is just for starting travelling I would try that!

Barnacle

Visit site

PorkChop

Visit site
As you have your own trailer, use it, every day - it's just practice, with no pressure, until it becomes part of his daily routine.

old hand

Visit site
i would try Pax and Prokalm. Worked brilliantly on one of mine he travelled perfectly the first time. Spray Pax on yourself and on the lorry/trailer at the head end. Pax is mare pheramones and the horse will see you as leader, just put Pax horse into google it is £22 delivered and lasts ages. Prokalm is a clamer that keeps the horse aware but cuts down reactive responses, loading needs testing but they will explain that. In our experience peace broke out!! problem solved.

applecart14

Visit site
I've tried pure magnesium powder previously for my horse that would spin and plant on hacks, and spook at most things in the school and nothing worked so started using Magic Calmer about a fortnight before moving yards where I'd been for ten years. Since starting using it thrirteen months ago now, he has been totally different. I wasn't sure whether it was the change of yard that had changed him as the grass was very rich at the last place. Or even me and my attitude, being happier in myself. But after trying him twice without the calmer over a period of 5-10 days - each time he reacted in the way he hadn't been reacting on the calmer. So this is enough to tell me it works.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I recently tried a new calmer as it had worked on my friends stallion.

Hackup.co.uk

they do bespoke daily powder supplements plus a liquid calmet called Step Free

A M A Z I N G !

Company is so helpful.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I don't think you need a calmer, you just need to practise. Take him on and off the trailer 10x a day for 10 days and see how he is after that. Do something with him on the trailer every single day. Remove the partitions, open all doors and windows, make the trailer as inviting as possible. Lead him in and straight off, then progress to leading on, standing for a while, then off again. Repetition is the key. If he is greedy/ motivated by food then you could give him a carrot while he's on there so he associates the trailer with nice things.

I wouldn't be shutting the doors and driving with him in it yet. Concentrate on leading on and off, standing quietly and increase the periods of standing still. Over a few weeks you can progress to shutting the back door then the front, tying him up, then reintroduce the partitions when he is settled and calm. You will get there but you need to take time - don't do it a couple of times then expect him to suddenly go to a show 45 mins away on the trailer.