calmers for early season shows???

seaview

Visit site
Hey everyone,

had my (extremely green) 5 year old out at the weekend and he was a little superstar he came third in the workers out of about 30+ so thrilled to bits!
He took everything in his stride and never looked at a jump which had loads of fillers!

However!!!
When I took him out of the box he was a complete plonker!!! He ended up pulling a shoe he was so badly behaved now I admit first outdoor show and his wife was left in the box till her class was on but he was such a pain!
For the first 15 mins I had to walk and everytime I tried trotting him he stuck his head between his legs and to put it nicely.. bounced!!!
Normally I would lunge but there was nowhere to lunge and it was only that I found a quiet indoor I was able to settle him,

question is would you put him on a calmer a daily one or a booster day of show one? Also any recommendations? I have used So Kalm before and thought it was very good?

Nat
x

However

ruscara

Visit site
When we took Marius to a local but extremely busy show, he was a complete prat and lost the plot. So the next year we gave him half a syringe of SoKalm before we left the yard, and the other half when we arrived at the show, and he got a first and a fourth and behaved impeccably. I cannot praise the stuff enough!
smile.gif

Vicky7041

Visit site
I think some calmers like Naf Magic work well, but its just experience at the end of the day. He will get used to it! But well done on your 3rd!!! He obviously went well in the ring.

LouHardwick

Visit site
Hi

I am keen to know if you fed the supplement over a period b4 your event, or if you just gave the syringe?
I too am taking my 4 year old to a tiddley training session at out local xc course.Last time we did this, bless her she lost the plot and bronched mercilessley- I ride her through it but she is so excited it makes me a bit nervous.
So, In every other aspect she really is foot perfect- out on hacks and in the menage- it just seems to blow her brains when we get out.I am riding her through this but have heard great success stories about just taking "the edge" off with these syringes of calmer.any tips or theories will be appreciated!
laugh.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
my youngster was taken to lots of busy county shows as a youngster but as soon as I backed her she became even worse to handle at shows. I plan to tak her to lots of local shows. Probably just ride her around the showground, then go home rather than competeing to start with. I give my mare Equilizer from the vets as on of the shelf products worked on her. The equilizer just took the edge off her so she didnt seem to have eyes on stalks. Give it a try as it isnt anymore expensive than the products you can buy off the shelf

However my instructor feeds pure magnesium and says that works brilliantly at a fraction of the cost
confused.gif

seaview

Visit site
with my Mare she was on the so kalm powder then got the syringe too it certainly helped her behaviour, so I think I might try that I agree it will come ok as he isnt normally like that but also think it would just be easier and less stressful to take the edge of him in mean time!

I googled Crossgate Biogenics but cant find anything??

Nat
x