Calmers for this situation?

Broodle

Visit site
Hello

I am a bit of a sceptic about calmers, but am wondering whether I'm being too dismissive and there might be a product out there that could help... All recommendations gratefully received!

My 8 year old Connemara gelding is a generally easy going chap, but every so often something spooks or unsettles him, his adrenaline surges, and he turns into a plonker. It takes a good while for the drama to subside, and while he generally keeps a lid on it, sometimes he does boil over into some undesirable behaviour ?

Has anyone successfully used a calmer for this scenario? Preferably a daily one to go in feed, but would consider inexpensive use-before-riding options.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies!

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Yes, I use Equinutritive no more nerves on my 12 year old connemara, he is...well, let's just say he's not a novice ride on hacks lol. I also use it on my welsh section a who suffers with separation anxiety.

For my welshie, it has helped ENORMOUSLY. He's gone from galloping around the field screaming to neighing once when we leave and then going back to calmly grazing until we get back.

For my connie, he's still a dingbat at times but he is also much much better - calmer, seems more equipped to deal with "frightening" things (I use the term loosely as he's scared of puddles and various other ridiculous things haha) and is just generally happier.

It's one you put into their feed so nice and easy. Took maybe 2 weeks to start seeing a difference :)

I've also used hackup bespoke on a previous loan with success but that was several years ago now!

Green Bean

Visit site
I am a great advocate of eCalm. I have had my horse on it for three years now and on the odd occasion when she has come off it due, mainly when the product was off the market whilst there was a change in distributor, she definitely went back to being a bundle of nerves. It isn't a calmer for spooking and fire breathing dragons (saying that, I do not use it for that). My mare is anxious in some situations and this product definitely helps her settle down. I feed one heaped measuring spoon a day in one meal.

Birker2020

Visit site
Hello

I am a bit of a sceptic about calmers, but am wondering whether I'm being too dismissive and there might be a product out there that could help... All recommendations gratefully received!

My 8 year old Connemara gelding is a generally easy going chap, but every so often something spooks or unsettles him, his adrenaline surges, and he turns into a plonker. It takes a good while for the drama to subside, and while he generally keeps a lid on it, sometimes he does boil over into some undesirable behaviour ?

Has anyone successfully used a calmer for this scenario? Preferably a daily one to go in feed, but would consider inexpensive use-before-riding options.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies!
My last horse was just like yours, with the drama being escalated to abnormal heights, even spotting a filler (with different designs on each side) that had been hung on the menage fence had been used and hung with a different design showing after weeks of going past it with the 'other side' showing.

She would literally spot a flea on an ant's back. So she went onto Magic and he was so much better, her spookiness decreased 70% and she de-escalated so much quicker. After a few months I took her off it ands she went back to how she was before. I was convinced it was just a coincidence so some months later took her off it a second time and the spookiness returned!

Last edited: