Calmers for travelling - help!

kazg07

Visit site
I bought my 5 year old ISH a year ago from a friend who is a mile down the road and travelled him in my lorry. He loaded fine but was extremely stressed and kicked constantly in the lorry. Prior to this, he had come over from Ireland and wouldn't have travelled or had much of anything done with him. A short time later he came up to Scotland. I don't think travelling has been a positive experience in the past and has normally meant a new home. The past few weeks I have been loading him, feeding him in lorry, working up to putting partition across and the ramp up. Today, I took him round the block (2 miles) and it was horrendous. He kicked constantly with front and back legs and I was terrified he would hurt himself. Once home he was drenched with sweat and very stressed. So has anyone got any suggestions? He is a very sensitive, stressy horse in general. I think I'm going to try nupafeed calmer and continue with trying to get him used to the lorry. Has anyone used this calmer with success?

Michen

Visit site
Teach him to be calm. So you’ve missed a load of steps, get him happy with ramp up and engine running etc, unload and repeat. Get him off and Re do it before he gets anxious.

Much better to fix the problem rather than trying to sticky plaster it- as I found out with my boy who also came over from Ireland in the same way and had a severe travelling issue.

misst

Visit site
Just a thought but he may just be uncomfortable in your set up? Have you checked the floor ? Is he facing a different direction eg backwards/forwards than last time? No offense but are you taking things slowly round the corners?
Sometimes they just don't like the ride in certain vehicles. Calmers which are sedating enough to help might cause him to lose balance.
Does he have calm company?

kazg07

Visit site
Teach him to be calm. So you’ve missed a load of steps, get him happy with ramp up and engine running etc, unload and repeat. Get him off and Re do it before he gets anxious.

Much better to fix the problem rather than trying to sticky plaster it- as I found out with my boy who also came over from Ireland in the same way and had a severe travelling issue.

Yes, I fully intend taking things back a few steps and realise it will be a long, slow process. Is your horse OK now?