Calmers for travelling

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Amber is not a good loader, she travels fine, but it's a battle to get her on the box as she gets very stressed and upset.

However she needs to be traveled soon so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good calmers that might help?

Any tips in general would help actually. Blossom is on standby as travelling companion as she loads herself then would stand on the box all day.

Thank you :)

Beausmate

Visit site
Oxyshot worked absolutely brilliantly on my three, but some people think it's pants. Depends on the horse I guess. You have to give it to them when they are calm, I think if they're even a wee bit geed up, it doesn't work so well.

Sent my youngster to sleep!:D

Tammytoo

Visit site
If you want a long term solution, rather than a one off fix - I would set aside a day when you have plenty of time and load her, using the pony if necessary, but don't force or bully her in. Once she's loaded, make a fuss and unload her straight away. Repeat loading her over and over, at least 15 times until she's walking freely in and out. Repeat this every day for several days and then take her for a quick five minute round trip. Reward every forward step she takes but don't try and drag her in! Practice, practice,practice is the key.

Global herbs make a sachet of Supercalm which takes the edge off them, but it doesn't solve the problem long term.

Good luck.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Oxyshot worked absolutely brilliantly on my three, but some people think it's pants. Depends on the horse I guess. You have to give it to them when they are calm, I think if they're even a wee bit geed up, it doesn't work so well.

Sent my youngster to sleep!:D

Thank you, I'm going to do it in the field before even getting her in, so she won't think it's that unusual.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
TBH if she travels fine then it doesn't sound like she'd need a calmer - that would be for a horse who is nervous or scared. If she won't load but travels OK once she's actually gone on then I'd say you need to do some practising with her. I had a bad loader (perfect to travel) who was simply a stubborn old sod.

Have you tried practising with feeding her on there etc?

Bright_Spark

Visit site
If you want a long term solution, rather than a one off fix - I would set aside a day when you have plenty of time and load her, using the pony if necessary, but don't force or bully her in. Once she's loaded, make a fuss and unload her straight away. Repeat loading her over and over, at least 15 times until she's walking freely in and out. Repeat this every day for several days and then take her for a quick five minute round trip. Reward every forward step she takes but don't try and drag her in! Practice, practice,practice is the key.

Global herbs make a sachet of Supercalm which takes the edge off them, but it doesn't solve the problem long term.

Good luck.

Thank you for your help :) At the moment, I don't have access to a box to practice, but after this trip, a friend is going to let me borrow their's to do so as I want her to get over her anxiety.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
TBH if she travels fine then it doesn't sound like she'd need a calmer - that would be for a horse who is nervous or scared. If she won't load but travels OK once she's actually gone on then I'd say you need to do some practising with her. I had a bad loader (perfect to travel) who was simply a stubborn old sod.

Have you tried practising with feeding her on there etc?

That's a fair point, I was thinking the calmer would help her not to get wound up, although we'd take things slowly and calmly (she is the type to wind herself up though :rolleyes: )

She used to load fine, but after 3 trips to the vets, the next time it took 2 attempts of 2 hours before she just sighed and walked on. Last time, we only tried for 30 minutes as person with trailer thought it would be quicker to walk (moving yards).

Sadly I don't have my own box (or one to borrow) so have not been able to practice, I'm sure once I can, she'll be okay.

Current plan is me plus 2 helpers, lots of treats, Blossom loading first (and if possible, Amber following close behind) and have allowed lots of time!