Calmers

Damnation

Visit site
Which are the best?

I need it for my mare who when in season becomes spooky and tense and I am going to go down the calmer route. She is worked 5-6 days a week, turned out every day. Fed on Hi Fi Lite, garlic and bran. Just enough to cover the bottom of her bucket, so next to nothing.
I also soak her hayledge for 24hrs then rinse it so she is fed nothing to heat her. The behaviour is definately related to her seasons.

Tack and teeth are all fine.

D :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm not sure that calmers would work in your situation as they work best on anxious horses rather than hormonal ones. Top spec calmer worked wonders on my anxious jumpy gelding. It made him into a nice calm horse, but didn't help at all with a moody spooky mare on my yard. No harm in trying though!

Damnation

Visit site
The thing is she is always anxious and quirky to ride anyway. But in season she becomes even more anxious. I tried Oestress to no avail!! :(
And I can't get any sense out of her!!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The thing is she is always anxious and quirky to ride anyway. But in season she becomes even more anxious. I tried Oestress to no avail!! :(
And I can't get any sense out of her!!!

In that case, it may well work. If you try Top Spec calmer it works within an hour or so. You will see a difference certainly within a couple of days if it is going to work. Horses often don't like the taste at first though so just puthalf a scoop in at first. The full dose is two scoops a day but it was effective in my boy on a third of that dose.

Damnation

Visit site
Yes she is a bit fussy about her food, after a few days she should be fine.
When she isn't in season the angst is controllable but in season its 10 times worse and she turnes into a 18hh tense, near on unrideable eejit! (shes 16.2 but boy can she grow when shes on her toes!!!!!)
She doesn't do anything but I just can't get her to relax or stop bloody spooking!!!!
I will look at TopSpec, and I will look at the Angus Castus herb :) I might end up trying them all!!! :D

K27

Visit site
I put my boy on Magnitude last year, having always been v sceptical and wary of calmers!- wow what a difference! he used to be spooky at times, tense, and over react on occasions- he has one little scoop of it per day and the pot lasts 6 months at about £18.99 a pot so very good value- am impressed with it and it seems to suit him well! :)

onemoretime

Visit site
Have a look at James Hart Harmony, this is for mares and is apparently very good although I haven't used it on my mare, I use Listen & Learn for her. These products are from NZ and proving very popular over here.

I dont work for them or have anything to do with them but have started using L&L and found a difference in my horse.

Javabb94

Visit site
i had java on top spec and then changed to Nupafeed MAH which works wonders!!!

Java needs chilling before shows as he has hardly been to any and the Nupafeed is fab!!

If you ring them they are so helpful they work out plans for you and your horse,

or say if your planning on going somewhere and unsure of amounts they will tell you what to give and help you find the right level for your horse

With Java he gets 30mm a day and then before a show 75mm twice a day for 2 days and you adjust it according to what you have done

they said in stressy situations they use up magnesium and they need the levels brought back up

also the remaining top spec calmer we had we used on my aggressive 22year old and he changed!!

we ran out and havent put him back on it yet and you can definately tell he is ff it