calming cookies - anyone tried them

Horsekaren

Visit site
I have come across these online and wondered if anyone has used them?
https://theequineedge.co.uk/products/calmer-cookies

Ingredients:

Soyflour, Molasses, Flax Meal, L-Tyrosine, Fenugreek, Himalayan Salt, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Turmeric, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, Lecithin

What would be the calming ingredients above? would it be able to be combined if the horse is already on a daily calmer containing mag?

I was toying with trying one for clipping.

Kaylum

Visit site
my friend has used them and yes they take the edge off if its the noise the horse is nervous of try one of the ear bonnets that reduce sound. Could use an electric toothbrush to help with the noise and the feel or there is an app you can get on your phone that sounds like a razor.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Or ear plugs do work my friend uses them to clip her horse and sometimes having a background noise like a radio can help as they are not just focusing on the clipper noise alone.

Sprat

Visit site
I've picked a bag up for my mare who very much goes into herself while out at a new venue, I'm due to try one tonight so I'll let you know.

I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to this kind of thing as I've never experienced anything that's had a suitable effect, but my trainer raves about them and I've heard good reviews.

I'll keep you posted!

Horsekaren

Visit site
I've picked a bag up for my mare who very much goes into herself while out at a new venue, I'm due to try one tonight so I'll let you know.

I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to this kind of thing as I've never experienced anything that's had a suitable effect, but my trainer raves about them and I've heard good reviews.

I'll keep you posted!

Ah great! fingers crossed for you!

He wasn't too bad with clippers as i had a horseman ship trainer come out and teach me and he was scared for a few mins then stood like a darling for an hour. The next time he was clipped he was in a massive medical barn in a vets, blunt blades being used, the sound was incredible (not sure where they found these clippers) no patience at all, he was just charging around the barn in sheer fear running through equipment :'( their answer was to sedate, they did, he still charged around, it took about 4 lots of sedation so he has a bad experience to get over :(
If id have known i would have removed the fur before i took him.

we will get there :)

redapple

Visit site
Also a bit cynical but I know Olivia Towers uses them on her vlogs and seems to use them a fair bit with the young ones. I was tempted to buy some for a horse i'm riding at the moment but never got around to it so would love to know if they work too!

q105

Visit site
I’ve used them to great effect with my TB. We are desensitising at the same time, so this was a great complement during his first few outings, and after three outings over the summer, he and I were in fine fettle!

pootleperkin

Visit site
The calming ingredient is mainly the L-Tyrosine which creates serotonin. I have used them and found they do take the edge off slightly but I find training and desensitising works more but these can help the first few outings etc.

The L tyrosine isn't a precursor to serotonin, but dopamine. In fact it seems it can inhibit serotonin production, so I'm a bit confused about the marketing of these products...

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Following this thread! I was going to pop on here and ask if anybody had tried? I have a yearling I’d like to show but at 15hh already, I don’t want to get squished if he finds it all too much. Wanted to know f these would be suitable

Sprat

Visit site
An update to my previous comment. Calming cookies did sweet FA.

Have since taken her out competing and to parties a lot, and made sure she was working hard and concentrating on me. Worked a treat.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Following this thread! I was going to pop on here and ask if anybody had tried? I have a yearling I’d like to show but at 15hh already, I don’t want to get squished if he finds it all too much. Wanted to know f these would be suitable

I gave a few horses over the years rescue remedy for a show it's good for human nerves as well, I have used oxyshot as well which I think definitely worked, those calming cookies have molasses that can hype some horses up.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I gave a few horses over the years rescue remedy for a show it's good for human nerves as well, I have used oxyshot as well which I think definitely worked, those calming cookies have molasses that can hype some horses up.
Ahh thanks will deffo give it a try, been meaning to try it myself! There’s a big hedge at a sponsored ride I go to yearly that I keep chickening out at. This year I WILL go haha

Surbie

Visit site

Someone I know uses them for her spooky, flighty dressage horse. From all the posts she puts up on FB they work for her.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Someone I know uses them for her spooky, flighty dressage horse. From all the posts she puts up on FB they work for her.
Oo interesting! Thanks :) wasn’t sure if I could use them on a youngster and I don’t really want to but I also like being alive 😂

Floxie

Visit site
I don't like to rain on your parade if you're a fan, but for anyone considering it, Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic 'remedy'. If you believe in these, that's great! Otherwise please consider saving yourself some pennies - placebos might work on you, but can't work on a horse who doesn't appreciate the conceptual side of the effect :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach_flower_remedies

As for calming cookies, I've tried them on my spooky devil. The best description I can give is like others have said - it takes the edge off but it's not a magic bullet. I find the horse still reacts to the same things - but doesn't over-react. That's helpful enough for me, so I continue to stuff them in for competitions. For anything more exciting like hunting and fun rides, however, I don't bother - they (nor anything else I've tried) - even touch on it.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I don't like to rain on your parade if you're a fan, but for anyone considering it, Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic 'remedy'. If you believe in these, that's great! Otherwise please consider saving yourself some pennies - placebos might work on you, but can't work on a horse who doesn't appreciate the conceptual side of the effect :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach_flower_remedies

As for calming cookies, I've tried them on my spooky devil. The best description I can give is like others have said - it takes the edge off but it's not a magic bullet. I find the horse still reacts to the same things - but doesn't over-react. That's helpful enough for me, so I continue to stuff them in for competitions. For anything more exciting like hunting and fun rides, however, I don't bother - they (nor anything else I've tried) - even touch on it.
This is what I’m after, something just to take the edge off without dulling him out when I take him to his first shows. I don’t want him overwhelmed so might give them a go

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I used them earlier this year as I was starting to take DP out and about. Not sure if they worked but they certainly did wonders for my nerves and because I was calmer so was he. It also helped having nr2 pony with us as he is impeccably behaved in every situation other than on the hunting field 😂

In all seriousness I have found the more I take him out the better he is each time and that is without any type of calming cookie but there isn't any harm in trying them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ahh thanks will deffo give it a try, been meaning to try it myself! There’s a big hedge at a sponsored ride I go to yearly that I keep chickening out at. This year I WILL go haha

I used to show some real nutters years ago and used it then, it definitely made a difference on the horse and I feel calmer on it!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Most of the people who post posts on social media about them being 'amazing' are either sponsored by the manufacture or were given them in return for putting a post up!

I've seen one genuine post from someone who said they did make a difference.. but part of me thinks its a placebo affect and all crap. LOL

Bernster

Visit site
They were recommended to me by someone who had used them on her mare and thought they worked. They did seem to help my boy be less agitated and my OH thought his behaviour was better, but he then stopped eating them and I changed lorries so I spend more time with him on the lorry now, where he is much more chilled. So who knows. The last couple of times I've been out I have tied him up outside for short periods and he's been better too, without the CC, but will need to see if that's a long term thing or not.

C1airey

Visit site
Have used them recently on new horse (a big gangly WB) to help take the edge off stressful situations. They definitely work on him and have been a great help. More than 1/4 of a cookie though, and it’s like riding a seaside donkey.

ETA: I didn’t get a free pack, and I’m not affiliated with them in any way!

Floxie

Visit site
Most of the people who post posts on social media about them being 'amazing' are either sponsored by the manufacture or were given them in return for putting a post up!

I've seen one genuine post from someone who said they did make a difference.. but part of me thinks its a placebo affect and all crap. LOL

I'm not sponsored (sadly) nor was I given any - I'm also pretty resigned to my hose being a spooky knob at competitions, so I don't imagine I'm changing my behaviour because I'm expecting something different - but they definitely dull the sharper edges! As I said above, for anything super exciting they don't do a thing (but then I don't expect a bucket of ketamine would make a difference at that point), but they do seem to sooth some of the unnecessary dramatics at smaller comps :)

(they don't have near the same effects as C1airey sees, sadly - that would be a lot cheaper! But they do *something*)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have Arabs and when I bought my last one he was quite unsettled it was winter and could be quite sharp, I put him on the global herbs TB calmer and it really did make a difference I only used it the first winter as he did chill right down come summer, but it might be worth a try it's not really expensive.

sjdress

Visit site
Didn’t work at all on my horse. Used them for loading and actually ended up having an accident with the horse going under the partition in panic so absolutely did not work at all!

Lpa

New User
Visit site
I have come across these online and wondered if anyone has used them?
https://theequineedge.co.uk/products/calmer-cookies

Ingredients:

Soyflour, Molasses, Flax Meal, L-Tyrosine, Fenugreek, Himalayan Salt, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Turmeric, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, Lecithin

What would be the calming ingredients above? would it be able to be combined if the horse is already on a daily calmer containing mag?

I was toying with trying one for clipping.

I realise this is an old post but for others asking...I used them today after hearing wonderful reviews, my horse was more on his toes than usual and feel it had the opposite effect tbh, I think he felt too good lol . Going to try the powder as it doesn't have the molasses.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I used them once before a dressage comp. I fed them as per the instructions and my horse bogged off with me mid test so I retired. Didn't use them again.